overclocking p3 help

Old February 23rd 04, 12:58 PM
John

Default overclocking p3 help

CPU-Z version 1.21.

Hey All,

My question is... is it possible to overclock this Cpu?and is it
worth the effort?

thanks John

CPU(s)
Number of CPUs 1

Code Name Coppermine
Specification Intel Pentium III EB 866MHz
Family / Model / Stepping 6 8 6
Extended Family / Model 0 0
Brand ID 2
Package Socket 370 FC-PGA
Core Stepping cC0
Technology 0.18 µ
Supported Instructions Sets MMX, SSE
CPU Clock Speed 863.9 MHz
Clock multiplier x 6.5
Front Side Bus Frequency 132.9 MHz
Bus Speed 132.9 MHz
L1 Data Cache 16 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 32 Bytes line
size
L1 Instruction Cache 16 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 32 Bytes
line size
L2 Cache 256 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 32 Bytes line size
L2 Latency 0
L2 Speed 863.9 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 ECC Check enabled
L2 Data Prefetch Logic no
L2 Bus Width 256 bits

Mainboard and chipset
Motherboard manufacturer Intel Corporation
Motherboard model D815EEA, AAA10383-403
BIOS vendor Intel Corp.
BIOS revision A06
BIOS release date 11/28/2000
Chipset Intel i815/E/EP rev. A2
Southbridge Intel 82801BA (ICH2) rev. A2

AGP Status enabled, rev. 2.0
AGP Data Transfert Rate 4x
AGP Side Band Addressing supported, enabled
AGP Aperture Size 64 MBytes

Memory
DRAM Type SDRAM
DRAM Size 512 MBytes
DRAM Frequency 132.9 MHz
FSBRAM 1:1
CAS# Latency 3.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge 3 clocks
Cycle Time (TRAS) 7 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (TRC) 9 clocks
# of memory modules 2
Module 0 AMD SDRAM PC133 - 256 MBytes
Module 1 Dane-Elec SDRAM PC133 - 256 MBytes

Software
Windows version Microsoft Windows XP Workstation Service Pack 1
(Build 2600)

Old February 23rd 04, 03:44 PM
Robert Myers

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 07:58:33 -0500, "John" wrote:

CPU-Z version 1.21.

Hey All,

My question is... is it possible to overclock this Cpu?

You can try changing FSB to 4:3 if the BIOS will let you do it.
Probably won't even boot without upping the core voltage, and no Intel
BIOS is going to let you do that. If you're dying for more speed, get
yourself a Powerleap adapter and a 1.4 GHz PIII.

and is it
worth the effort?

I wouldn't bother if I weren't doing computationally-intensive work.
I do computationally intensive work, and I wouldn't bother, anyway. I
have an 800 MHz PIII, and that's the way it's going to live out its
days. The PIII is a very nice chip, and Tualatin PIII's are even
nicer, but the FSB bandwidth limits what you can do with it.

*If* what you are doing is alot of stuff like waiting for things to
compile, or waiting for branchy code in general, and that's what's
making your life miserable, the upgrade might be worth it, but you'd
probably want to consider going to CL2 memory. By the time you've
spent all that money, you're halfway to a new box.

RM

Old February 25th 04, 12:51 PM
John

Robert,
thanks for the reply i appreciate it,I will probably just get a hole new
box ...i like to tinker so...hehehehe ill give it a try if i cam figure it
out.
ty

John crazy gamer
who likes speed