Advice please : Athlon2800 or 3200

Old November 11th 03, 06:14 PM
nightic

Can`t I just have the cpu fsb higher than the memory with the NF7?
Even on this QDI Advance intel via board i got here i can underclock the

ram
FSB of 133 by 33mhz??
Argh!! Its already been dispatched it says.Guess i`ll get it tomorrow and
decide wether to send the memory back or build my new PC with the 2700.

You can but not really ideal as asynchronous operation (as you describe) has
been shown to be more detrimental to performance than running the FSB and
memory clocks at a lower overall frequency but with syncronicity (as far as
Nforce 2 platforms go that is).

Old November 11th 03, 06:43 PM
Internicserver

Dont ever buy AMD: get intel.:
IT GETS TOO hot AND CRASHES:

Easy to switch..all at one place !

Redhat, SUSE, Debian, FreeBSD, Windows, Mandrake

Fast and stable Servers

http://www.comserver.net
Old November 11th 03, 07:39 PM
jeffc

"uselesses" wrote in message

Argh!! Its already been dispatched it says.Guess i`ll get it tomorrow and
decide wether to send the memory back or build my new PC with the 2700.

Don't lose too much sleep. You'll have a fine system, regardless.

Old November 11th 03, 11:47 PM
AJ

And hope it remains stable :-) If it does then fair play go for it.
I've seen enough machines that either a) had occasional crashes
becuase they were overclocked or b) keeping them cool/upgrading memory
cost a signinficant amount of the price difference and it wasn't worth
the faffing around.

I'm running 2500+ @ 3200+ on 3 or 4 boxes. They run rock solid and
stay on 24/7. Using ASUS, Chantech, and Biosstar mobos.
------------
When your PC gives a little they give a lot.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/disco
Old November 14th 03, 02:45 AM
tHatDudeUK

"Baguss" wrote in message
b) keeping them cool/upgrading memory
cost a signinficant amount of the price difference and it wasn't worth
the faffing around.

2500+ £60/70 3200+ £300+

What sort of cooling can you get for £300? ;-) You need good cooling for the
3200+ anyway.

Old November 14th 03, 02:47 AM
tHatDudeUK

"uselesses" wrote in message
AMD AthlonXP 2500 [1.83GHZ 333] RET, Item Price = £60, Quantity = 1
ABit NF7-S , Item Price = £70, Quantity = 1
Chieftec Dragon Blue , Item Price = £39, Quantity = 1
Kingmax "Turbo" 512Mb 2700 Fast DDR, Item Price = £55, Quantity = 2

I'd recommend TwinMOS ram

Old November 14th 03, 02:49 AM
tHatDudeUK

"jeffc" wrote in message
Don't lose too much sleep. You'll have a fine system, regardless.

Agreed, I upgraded from 133mhz FSB to 200Mhz FSB. It is a little quirkier
but to be honest there i little difference. I think my system is mostly
limited by hard disk speed so next I'll be going for a stripped raid
array...

Old November 14th 03, 02:50 AM
tHatDudeUK

"Chris Howells" wrote in message
You'll notice that the 3200 is much more expensive for not that much more
money. Personally I'd be tempted to get a 2800 or 3000.

2500 would easily overclock to the speed of a 2800 or a 3000 if it failed to
clock to the speed of a 3200 (which it probably wouldn't) saving a few
hundred quid.

Old November 14th 03, 02:52 AM
tHatDudeUK

"Bagpuss" wrote in message
Odd thing, so do Intel Chips if you put the wrong heatsink on or
install it incorrectly.

They just automatically slow down in resposnse to onboard temperature
(AFAIK).... There was a video on tomshardware site showing HS+Fans being
removed off AMD's and Intels. The AMD's burned up and the Intels didn't
although this is now a problem of the past with most motherboards
autocutting out when they get to a high temp.

My althlon machine is rock solid stable as long as its not
overclocked, but that is a limitation of the mobo and memory rather
than the CPU.

And mine as long as its not OC'd 2 much :-)