System Beeps - Five Beeps (One long, two short, high pitch, low pitch)

Old January 28th 04, 11:34 PM
Huw E

Default System Beeps - Five Beeps (One long, two short, high pitch, low pitch)

Hi

Hope someone can help me with this. I know its long but..

Over the last week my Asus A7V133 has had problems booting. When I boot I
hear one long beep and two short beeps, followed by a high pitched tone and
a low pitched tone (five beeps in total) and refuses to POST, never mind
windows. However, rebooting has allowed me to get past POST, BIOS screen and
into windows.

However, today rebooting has not worked I can't get past POST.

I understand that one long beep and two short beeps represent a video
problem, but what about the additional high and low tone beeps. What does it
mean?

I've tried taking the video card out and putting it back in (ensuring it's
in fully), but no joy. I've tried the video card in another computer and it
works fine. I've taken the sound card, modem etc out as well, leaving a
minimal system, but with no luck. I've taken the 3 memory sticks out and
tried them one by one and in different slots but no success. I haven't
noticed any damage on the motherboard.

I have managed to get it working on only a couple of occasions since.
However, whenever I've turned off the computer from Windows and tried
booting again it doesn't work. It seems a bit random to me.

I've tried resetting BIOS default settings. The BIOS is the latest version.

I've noticed the chipset fan isn't working correctly on the motherboard.
Sometimes the fan works (but doesn't get past the BIOS) and sometimes its
spins for a second and stops. However, the occasions when booting has
worked, the motherboard fan wasn't operating. Weird or not?

I've had the motherboard for 3 years without any problems. The only recent
change to my system was an extra stick of memory a few months back.

Spec:

OS: XP Pro, CPU: AMD Athlon-PECM, 1200 MHz, Motherboard: Asus A7V133,
Chipset: VIA VT8363A Apollo KT133A, Memory: 768 MB (3x256 SDRAM PC133),
BIOS Type: Award Medallion (04/23/02), Video: ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON (32
MB), Audio: Creative SB Live! Player 1024 Sound Card. Voltage values are all
fine.

Thanks for any help

Huw

Old January 29th 04, 12:29 AM
DaveW

Based on the symptoms and your test results it sounds like the motherboard
has died. Unfortunately they don't last forever.

--
DaveW

Old January 29th 04, 01:11 AM
kony

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 22:34:46 -0000, "Huw E"
wrote:

Hi
Hope someone can help me with this. I know its long but..

It would seem shorter without the extra carrage returns.

Over the last week my Asus A7V133 has had problems booting. When I boot I
hear one long beep and two short beeps, followed by a high pitched tone and
a low pitched tone (five beeps in total) and refuses to POST, never mind
windows. However, rebooting has allowed me to get past POST, BIOS screen and
into windows.

However, today rebooting has not worked I can't get past POST.
I understand that one long beep and two short beeps represent a video
problem, but what about the additional high and low tone beeps. What does it
mean?

Don't know, could just be Asus' specific stop error code.

[...]

Are you sure the fan is in a good operational condition?
I'd remove the fan, see if that makes any difference, put a drop of
oil in the bearing if it's stiff, and put it back on.

I've had the motherboard for 3 years without any problems. The only recent
change to my system was an extra stick of memory a few months back.

Spec:

OS: XP Pro, CPU: AMD Athlon-PECM, 1200 MHz, Motherboard: Asus A7V133,
Chipset: VIA VT8363A Apollo KT133A, Memory: 768 MB (3x256 SDRAM PC133),
BIOS Type: Award Medallion (04/23/02), Video: ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON (32
MB), Audio: Creative SB Live! Player 1024 Sound Card. Voltage values are all
fine.

You wouldn't happen to have one of those defective TMD CPU heatsink
fans?

I'd pull the power supply, leave it unplugged for a minute or two then
examine it internally. More often than not a problem like this, from
a previously working system, is with the power supply or motherboard.

Old January 30th 04, 04:49 AM
Paul L

that high/low is what I got when my athlon xp retail fan went on my abit mb.
the fan was spinning but loudly. Let it cool, boot into pc health screen of
bios and watch the temp and fan speed. fan should be about 3000-5000 rpm

"Huw E" wrote in message
[...]

Multi-boot Windows XP without special software Timothy Daniels General 11 December 12th 03 06:38 AM
Get the Serial Number with Visual Basic Michael Wittmann General 15 November 15th 03 07:03 PM
Proposed System Thunder9 General 80 October 14th 03 02:50 PM
Add PCI card gives 1 Long 2 Short Beeps Jane Tweedynn General 5 October 6th 03 01:15 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM