DVD Writer only recognised as CD/DVD ROM in XP

Old October 24th 11, 08:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
pcpilot

Default DVD Writer only recognised as CD/DVD ROM in XP

Hi,

I am troubleshooting an RM Compal CY27 Laptop with XP Pro SP3 installed
as an OS. The CD Drive has been replaced with an Hitachi GSA-T40N
slimline drive which I have updated the firmware to JW02 (latest
available).

The issue is this, whilst Image Burn will find the drive and happily
burn CD's/DVD's (thus I know it works!!!) XP will only recognize the
drive as a DVD-RAM Drive and so all recording functions are absent.

On deeper analysis the Imapi service is missing from services altogether
and no appropriate registry entries are present. The 'filters' issue
widely reported does not apply as the registry entries reported (Upper &
Lower Filters) do not exist in the first place.

I have downloaded and installed Imapi V2.0 (for SP3) of microsoft but
the service stubbornly remains absent from the services list and so no
recording tab, no drag and drop to burn or other features are available.
I have also followed the ms kb articles on the subject to no avail
including the auto fix app provided by ms which simply reports that the
drive is not capable of burning!

Accordingly I am at a loss on this one as to why I cannot resolve what
on the face of it seems a simple issue and would welcome any pointers
you might offer as to what I need to do

Many thanks in advance.

PC Pilot

Old October 24th 11, 11:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
yukonron[_8_]

Did you try to uninstall it with your device manager? Once it's
uninstalled windows should recognize a new device and reinstall the
appropriate drivers or if you have an installation cd use it or you
could download the latest driver. It might need a controller driver I
found a driver pack for your laptop here.
http://drp.su/drivers/notebooks/?v=C...&id=18307&l=en
here's where I found the firmware.
http://burners.burn4free.com/hitachi...40n-driver.htm
Also saw your post here.
http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...xp-608250.html
You came to the right place for help. Hopefully this helps. If it didn't
there are plenty of people on this site that are alot smarter than me
that probably have better advice.

Old October 26th 11, 07:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Mike S.

In article ,
pcpilot wrote:

Hi,

I am troubleshooting an RM Compal CY27 Laptop with XP Pro SP3 installed
as an OS. The CD Drive has been replaced with an Hitachi GSA-T40N
slimline drive which I have updated the firmware to JW02 (latest
available).

The issue is this, whilst Image Burn will find the drive and happily
burn CD's/DVD's (thus I know it works!!!) XP will only recognize the
drive as a DVD-RAM Drive and so all recording functions are absent.

Silly question: what purpose do you need XP's "built-in" burning engine if
you already have configured a working software package like ImgBurn?

Old October 28th 11, 06:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
pcpilot[_2_]

Hi yukonron,

Thank you for reply to my post. To confirm I have uninstalled (several
times!) the DVD Writer via device manager and re-installed to no avail.
Unfortunately windows regards dvd burners/cd drives and the like as
'generic' devices and offers no specific drivers and I have been unable
to find any so far online.

The driver pack link provided is to a torrent (which I am not familiar
with) file however, if anyone has such a driver for this model of the
Hitachi drive or knows where I can download it I would be most
grateful.

The firmware has been updated to JW02 (latest available??) already again
no avail!!

Hi also to Mike S.

Not at all a silly question, my friend (who's laptop this is) is
disabled and so finds drag and drop features as provided within the XP
OS very useful whereas image burn and such like are somewhat less
intuitive to her being already XP familiar. In fact image burn was only
installed to PROVE windows wrong when stating this was not a recordable
drive.......something it did with immediate effect, no question, no
ceremony!!!!

.....and besides there is something in me which says XP has this feature
and it should be available if the drive is burner (as it is of course).
Hence my desire to get it working!!!

I am grateful for any advice/suggestions.

Thanks,

PCPilot

Old October 28th 11, 06:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
yukonron[_14_]

I think the problem is with xp set up itself. You should be able to
select options for autoplay. One of the options is *Burn files to disk
using Windows Explorer* and you should check the box that says *Always
do this for blank CD's* It's been awhile since I've had XP in Windows 7
the autoplay option is in the actual folder. I found a link that tells
you how to do it in XP
http://www.wikihow.com/Configure-CD-...-in-Windows-XP
Hopefully this helps

Old October 29th 11, 02:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
pcpilot[_3_]

Hi again Yukonron,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried to configure the Autoplay options in
line with your suggestion however there is no 'Burn files to disk using
Windows Explorer' option for any of the file types neither is there an
option to 'Always do this for blank CD's' within this setup.

Infact blank CD's are not mentioned and the only 'Burn' reference is for
DVD Movies and for HD DVD Movies both of which offer 'Create an image
using Image Burn'. I suspect the blank CD options are available only
when the 'recording' tab is also present within properties which
suggests it is perhaps linked to the Imapi service which is not present
here for some reason.

.....any other thoughts??

Thanks

PCPilot

Old October 30th 11, 09:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

pcpilot wrote:

[...]

Is it this one (KB932716)?
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...ng=en&id=17073

What version is the wmp? There were CD problems with wmp7 and Roxio
software.

"Installed Media Player 7 and now I am having problems with my CD
Drives.
(Roxio Article Number 000726-0003)
Old November 3rd 11, 06:30 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Tony[_3_]

Sounds like Imgburn has buggered your CD drive. Uninstall Imgburn forever
and install Alcohol 52% and see if it recognizes the drive. This should fix
it if it recognizes it then install Cheeta DVD burner.

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

manners

Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day
on the job for potty mouth,

Bur-ring, i'll get this one: WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM JERK!!? We're here to help
you dickweed, ok, ok give the power cord the jiggily piggily wiggily all the
while pushing the power button repeatedly now take everything out of your
computer except the power supply and *one* stick of ram. Ok get the next
sucker on the phone.

Deirdre Straughan (Roxio) is a LIAR (Deirdre McFibber)

There's the employer and the employee and the FROGGER and the FROGEE, which
one are you?

El-Gonzo Jackson FROGS both me and Chuckcar (I just got EL-FROG-OED!!)

I hate them both, With useless bogus bull**** you need at least *three*
fulltime jobs to afford either one of them

I'm a fulltime text *only* man on usenet now. The rest of the world
downloads the binary files not me i can't afford thousands of dollars a
month

UBB = User based bullFROGGING

the realm of understandability

This sig file was compiled via my journeys through usenet