recommend: cheap b&w network laser

Old September 7th 07, 03:21 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
ric

Default recommend: cheap b&w network laser

Hi All,
I'm after a cheap, black and white laser printer to supply for a
customer with a small office.
Needs to have ethernet, and for toner to be reasonably priced.
Smallish footprint, duplex and reasonably quick print speed are all
bonuses but not essential.

Any suggestions for a reliable unit that is going to be fairly
economical to run?

Ric

Old September 7th 07, 04:22 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
adi

ric wrote:
Hi All,
I'm after a cheap, black and white laser printer to supply for a
customer with a small office.
Needs to have ethernet, and for toner to be reasonably priced.
Smallish footprint, duplex and reasonably quick print speed are all
bonuses but not essential.

Any suggestions for a reliable unit that is going to be fairly
economical to run?

Here's info of research I'm doing myself.... all with network
Model - Approx retail price, price/page using toner

HP 1022n - $275, $0.0275/pg
HP 2015dn - $500, $0.0164/pg (with duplex) (Hi capacity toner)
HP 3005n - $700, $0.0132/pg (with high capacity toner)

Lexmark E120n - $150, $0.034/pg, + $0.002/pg (Photoconductor kit)
Lexmark E250dn - $250, $0.02.74/pg + $0.0012/pg (photoconductor kit)

I have others, but too lazy to transcribe from my spreadsheet.

I decided to go with HP 2015dn because I want reliability/compatibility
with old HP 2100, increase in speed and support/supplies into
long future (up to 10 years?) and I hear Lexmark as a
printer/company has issues. I'm not an expert... just my own research...
Oh, plus there's a $150 rebate in the U.S. until the end of september.
Old September 7th 07, 07:19 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
ric

On 7 Sep, 16:22, adi wrote:
ric wrote:
[...]

star. thanks for that.
also considering the older LJ4 second hand off ebay...!

Ric

Old September 7th 07, 08:12 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Ian D

I decided to go with HP 2015dn because I want reliability/compatibility
with old HP 2100, increase in speed and support/supplies into
long future (up to 10 years?) and I hear Lexmark as a
printer/company has issues. I'm not an expert... just my own research...
Oh, plus there's a $150 rebate in the U.S. until the end of september.

Good choice. I got and am very satisfied. One thing to note- the
extra RAM costs a fortune from HP, especially the 256 MB, but
the same memory direct from Kingston cost $28.00 US the last time
I checked. It is available from Amazon for around $22.00.

The Kingston Part # is KTH-LJ2015/256, so you can shop around.
Might as well go for the max while you're at it for not much more $.

Old September 7th 07, 08:40 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Stuart.Hinson

If you do not mind a refurbished computer, this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-MFC-88.../dp/B000O7VPSK

has everything you need for $318.00 (Free Shipping / No Tax)

I have the 8640 with Duplex and would have liked the networking.

Good Luck!

Barry Watzman wrote the following on 9/7/2007 11:40 AM:
Find an old Laserjet 4 Plus with a network card installed. Should be
about $30 to $50.

Old September 8th 07, 09:06 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Warren Block

Ian D wrote:

I decided to go with HP 2015dn because I want reliability/compatibility
with old HP 2100, increase in speed and support/supplies into
long future (up to 10 years?) and I hear Lexmark as a
printer/company has issues. I'm not an expert... just my own research...
Oh, plus there's a $150 rebate in the U.S. until the end of september.

Good choice. I got and am very satisfied. One thing to note- the
extra RAM costs a fortune from HP, especially the 256 MB, but
the same memory direct from Kingston cost $28.00 US the last time
I checked. It is available from Amazon for around $22.00.

The Kingston Part # is KTH-LJ2015/256, so you can shop around.
Might as well go for the max while you're at it for not much more $.

Alternatively, put the money underneath the printer and use the printer
normally. If you find you need more memory because of errors, spend it
then.

After a year goes by, use that money for something that makes a
difference.

[Added benefit: a $20 bill won't make your printer self-test take longer
every time you turn it on.]

Old September 9th 07, 01:07 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Ian D

Alternatively, put the money underneath the printer and use the printer
normally. If you find you need more memory because of errors, spend it
then.

After a year goes by, use that money for something that makes a
difference.

[Added benefit: a $20 bill won't make your printer self-test take longer
every time you turn it on.]

Well, the day I got the printer I decided to see what it could do, and
when printing a half page photo at 1200 DPI Pro res I got a not enough
memory message, and it printed at lower res. That was enough for me.

The other consideration is, that right now that particular DIMM seems
to be readily available. As for the longer self-test, it took so long for
the
first boot after I installed the 256 MB that I thought maybe the RAM
was defective. I guess it recognized the new memory and did an
extended self test, because since then, the extra 256 MB adds maybe
10 seconds to the total boot time. Since the printer has a low power
sleep mode I usually just leave it on during the day. It prints instantly
from sleep.

ID