Intel's New Weapons: Pentium 4 E (Prescott)

Old February 2nd 04, 05:00 AM
Wayne Youngman

Default Intel's New Weapons: Pentium 4 E (Prescott)

Hi,

Reviews so far. . . .

Anandtech: Intel's Pentium 4 E: Prescott Arrives with Luggage
http://tinyurl.com/yuqml

Tomshardwa Intel's New Weapons: Pentium 4 Prescott
http://tinyurl.com/2cd45

--
Wayne ][
new specs coming soon!

Old February 2nd 04, 06:26 AM
D K Woods

Wayne Youngman wrote:
Hi,

Reviews so far. . . .

Anandtech: Intel's Pentium 4 E: Prescott Arrives with Luggage
http://tinyurl.com/yuqml

Tomshardwa Intel's New Weapons: Pentium 4 Prescott
http://tinyurl.com/2cd45

And a few mo

http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTgz
http://hothardware.com/hh_files/CCAM...t_p4ee34.shtml
http://www.lostcircuits.com/cpu/prescott/

Old February 2nd 04, 07:01 AM
Phil Weldon

Thanks for posting the links. One question, however, about the Anandtech
review. Why does the writer think that a a micro-op is only one byte long,
and see the 64 KByte AMD instruction cache as necessarily larger than the
Intel 12 Kmicro-op cache? As far as I know, the rest of the review may be
spot on, but this item does make me wonder.

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,

Old February 2nd 04, 07:55 AM
Michael Brown

Phil Weldon wrote:
Thanks for posting the links. One question, however, about the
Anandtech review. Why does the writer think that a a micro-op is
only one byte long, and see the 64 KByte AMD instruction cache as
necessarily larger than the Intel 12 Kmicro-op cache? As far as I
know, the rest of the review may be spot on, but this item does make
me wonder.

The "average" x86 instruction is 2.5 bytes long (give or take), so a
12k-*instruction* cache would be approximately equavalent to a 32kbyte
cache. However, a lot of x86 instructions decode to multiple uops on the P4
(eg: those that access memory), which overall means that the trace cache is
equavalent to somewhere between an 8kb and 24kb instruction cache, depending
on the code that's being executed. Someone did some tests at some point
(slowly increased the size of a loop and plotted the results) which verified
this, but I can't find any results. If anyone has a P4 handy, I can quickly
whip up a program that would do it.

[...]

--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more

Old February 2nd 04, 03:56 PM
Richard Hopkins

"Wayne Youngman" wrote in message
Hi,

Reviews so far. . . .

Who needs a review? I've had one for over a fortnight. The architecture
might make sense once it hits the 4.5GHz or so area and there's software
around with SSE3 support, but right now, Northwood is a better bet IMVHO.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Old February 3rd 04, 02:50 AM
Arthur Hagen

Richard Hopkins wrote:

Who needs a review? I've had one for over a fortnight. The
architecture might make sense once it hits the 4.5GHz or so area and
there's software around with SSE3 support, but right now, Northwood
is a better bet IMVHO.

What really astonishes me is that they also release a 533MHz 2.8E Prescott
without HT. What's the point -- for machines that can't do faster than
133MHz bus speed, the Northwood 2.8 and 3.06HT are faster -- the latter
quite a bit faster, and at about the same price.
Unless SSE3 makes a *gargantuan* impact, I can't imagine any value
whatsoever in the more power-hungry and slower Prescott 2.8E.

Regards,
--
*Art

Old February 3rd 04, 09:31 AM
Michael Brown

Thomas wrote:
In article ,
w says...
If anyone has a P4 handy, I can quickly
whip up a program that would do it.

I have a P4... And i'd like to participate in your experiment, haha,
tell me what to do ;-)

OK, the program (with some basic info on how to use it) is at
http://www.emboss.co.nz/downloads/ICB.zip
(264kb)

Delphi 7 source code included, though it's a bit of a hack job