AV8 Pro Mobo Won't post

Old April 21st 06, 12:45 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

Default AV8 Pro Mobo Won't post

I have built a brand new system with an Abit AV8 pro motherboard and an
Athlon 64 3000+ Venice skt 939 and it will not post.
I have tried everything including different ram and vga cards etc. also
clearing the cmos.
There are no other items connected and it still does the same. I get
the guru code 9.0 on the motherboard display which is where the bios
should take over and then it starts a two tone beeping sound like a
siren! I have no way of testing the cpu on another board.
Could it be the Bios? HELP!!
Abit AV8 Pro mobo
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice cpu (Retail)
Mercury 400w psu

Old April 21st 06, 08:52 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

If the cpu overheats you'll get a siren alarm. I would check the cpu
and the heat sink installation. Are there any bent or broken pins?
Was the socket latched with the cpu not all the way in? Is the
heatsink rotated 180 degrees off and therefore not flush with the top
of the cpu?

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

Old April 22nd 06, 04:58 AM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

"hal1707" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have built a brand new system with an Abit AV8 pro motherboard and an
Athlon 64 3000+ Venice skt 939 and it will not post.
I have tried everything including different ram and vga cards etc. also
clearing the cmos.
There are no other items connected and it still does the same. I get
the guru code 9.0 on the motherboard display which is where the bios
should take over and then it starts a two tone beeping sound like a
siren! I have no way of testing the cpu on another board.
Could it be the Bios? HELP!!
Abit AV8 Pro mobo
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice cpu (Retail)
Mercury 400w psu

If you have another PSU to hand try that - the AV8 is very picky about
voltages, and had issues with some Antec PSU's because of this.

Old April 22nd 06, 01:29 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

"Simon Sawyer" wrote in message

"hal1707" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have built a brand new system with an Abit AV8 pro motherboard and an
Athlon 64 3000+ Venice skt 939 and it will not post.
I have tried everything including different ram and vga cards etc. also
clearing the cmos.
There are no other items connected and it still does the same. I get
the guru code 9.0 on the motherboard display which is where the bios
should take over and then it starts a two tone beeping sound like a
siren! I have no way of testing the cpu on another board.
Could it be the Bios? HELP!!
Abit AV8 Pro mobo
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice cpu (Retail)
Mercury 400w psu

If you have another PSU to hand try that - the AV8 is very picky about
voltages, and had issues with some Antec PSU's because of this.

Thnx,
Will try getting a bigger psu, and give it a go.

Old April 22nd 06, 02:29 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

- HAL9000 wrote:
If the cpu overheats you'll get a siren alarm. I would check the cpu
and the heat sink installation. Are there any bent or broken pins?
Was the socket latched with the cpu not all the way in? Is the
heatsink rotated 180 degrees off and therefore not flush with the top
of the cpu?

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

Thnx,
Yes tried all that, cpu is seated ok and the fan/heatsink are installed
correctly with plenty of thermal paste, I've built a few systems with
this cpu and no probs this is a first with the AV8 mobo I starting to
think it might be the problem.

Old April 25th 06, 08:06 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

"Hal" wrote in message

"Simon Sawyer" wrote in message

"hal1707" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have built a brand new system with an Abit AV8 pro motherboard and an
Athlon 64 3000+ Venice skt 939 and it will not post.
I have tried everything including different ram and vga cards etc. also
clearing the cmos.
There are no other items connected and it still does the same. I get
the guru code 9.0 on the motherboard display which is where the bios
should take over and then it starts a two tone beeping sound like a
siren! I have no way of testing the cpu on another board.
Could it be the Bios? HELP!!
Abit AV8 Pro mobo
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice cpu (Retail)
Mercury 400w psu

If you have another PSU to hand try that - the AV8 is very picky about
voltages, and had issues with some Antec PSU's because of this.

Thnx,
Will try getting a bigger psu, and give it a go.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!
Got a new mobo locally now running smoothly :} The Abit board is going back!
Thanx

Old August 19th 08, 01:54 AM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit
BobEvans3200

I have an AV8 SLI that had the same symptoms (POST code "9.0."). It had
been working fine ever since my original build about 4 yrs ago, then this
came up (out of the blue). The MB LEDs lit up fine, as usual and the fan on
the CPU (Athlon 64X 3800+) spun up as usual, so I supposed that the problem
was not a dead PSU. I removed all my PCI cards (except my PCIe video card)
and disconnected my LAN connection, but still no change. I was stumped!!

But, next I removed two sticks of my RAM, tried it again, and it booted OK.
Then I removed the 2nd pair of sticks, put the 1st pair in the slots that
the 2nd pair was using, and it booted OK, again. Then I put the 2nd pair
back in the slots where the 1st pair was originally, and, again, it booted
OK. Conclusion: What the f_ck ? Guess the mem. sticks wanted a vacation!
(Or, maybe there was some 'crud' at one of the RAM-stick connections, that,
by way of removing it and re-installing it, the 'crud was cleaned off the
connections. How this could happen is a mystery to me, but ... ??? ) Try
it; it may work for you, too. -- Bob

ups.com...