USB stick that's bootable has TWO names

Old October 12th 18, 04:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

Default USB stick that's bootable has TWO names

You know what I mean. The boot sector on the USB, which was formatted with "Rufus" freeware to make it bootable, is tiny, a few hundred kB, but has a name. Then the main USB, which is large, say 15 GB, has another name. Reformatting each USB will wipe them clean, but how do you 'combine' them into one USB partition? Even a non-quick,complete format does not wipe out the 'boot sector' of the USB.

Annoying more than anything. I renamed the boot sector "dontUse" and that was that, but, should I play around with maybe reformating as FAT rather than NTFS? Or what's the hack?

Not a big deal, just curious.

RL
Old October 12th 18, 05:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

RayLopez99 wrote:
You know what I mean. The boot sector on the USB, which was formatted with
"Rufus" freeware to make it bootable, is tiny, a few hundred kB, but has a name.
Then the main USB, which is large, say 15 GB, has another name.
Reformatting each USB will wipe them clean, but how do you 'combine'
them into one USB partition? Even a non-quick,complete format does not
wipe out the 'boot sector' of the USB.

Annoying more than anything. I renamed the boot sector "dontUse" and
that was that, but, should I play around with maybe reformating as FAT
rather than NTFS? Or what's the hack?

Not a big deal, just curious.

RL

That's probably a part of hybrid boot. That
part helps with UEFI (and no CSM) desktop BIOS setups.

Reformatting it may fix it. Expect some resistance
if trying to remove partitions from it with
Disk Management or command line "diskpart".

*******

You don't need to use Rufus for Windows installs.

1) If you download MediaCreationTool.exe from the Win10 download
page, there may be an output option to make USB media.

2) You can save an ISO file and use the Win7 tool. It works
with Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10 ISO files.

"Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool
(extracts from ISO9660 file and copies files to USB stick)"

The first link is the README, the second link the download.

http://web.archive.org/web/201201022...usbdvd_dwnTool

http://web.archive.org/web/201110052...B-DVD-tool.exe

If you operate that tool from a 64-bit OS, it can make
32 bit or 64 bit USB sticks from
32 bit ISO or 64 bit ISO files.

If your "preparation machine" is 32 bit, you'll need to find
and install a 32-bit version of bootsect.exe in the program
folder of that program. Note that the installation is non-standard
and the tool was obviously not created by Microsoft themselves.

Use 8GB USB flash or larger, to have enough room for the 64-bit
version of Windows 10.

Paul
Old October 12th 18, 05:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 08:11:25 -0700 (PDT), RayLopez99
wrote:

You know what I mean.

Yes. The "hidden" DOS switch to FDisk /MBR [Master Boot Record];
brackets or inclusions not be included upon execution. Older, more
thorough methodology included proprietary LLR (Low Level Routine) from
the manufacturing factory resources and support.

-

The boot sector on the USB, which was formatted with "Rufus" freeware
to make it bootable, is tiny, a few hundred kB, but has a name. Then
the main USB, which is large, say 15 GB, has another name.
Reformatting each USB will wipe them clean, but how do you 'combine'
them into one USB partition? Even a non-quick,complete format does
not wipe out the 'boot sector' of the USB.

Annoying more than anything. I renamed the boot sector "dontUse" and
that was that, but, should I play around with maybe reformating as FAT
rather than NTFS? Or what's the hack?

Not a big deal, just curious.

RL

-
Precisely. Some programmers do tend to be very much hackney, which is
often why, in a similar spirit, they release the source of their code
freely, into general public licenses, rather than to copyrights
exclusive of any and all further usage not involving a tidy profit to
said interest.
Old October 12th 18, 05:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 12:22:06 -0400, Flasherly
wrote:

LLR (Low Level Routine)

correction: LLF (low level FORMAT)
Old October 12th 18, 07:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

On Saturday, October 13, 2018 at 12:11:47 AM UTC+8, Paul wrote:
RayLopez99 wrote:
[...]

Saved in my notes file, thanks Paul, but I will stick with Rufus for now...

RL