DLT tape and SCSI

Old January 22nd 04, 10:15 PM
Richard Ragon

Default DLT tape and SCSI

Greetings all..

Picked up a Compaq DLT III XT internal tape drive last week.. Was going
to use it for mastering DVD to production.

Any ways.. it won't fit in the G4 quicksilver, but I was thinking of
placing it inside a PC tower (for power), then running a SCSI cord out
the back, and plug it into my Mac G4.

Can anyone recommend a G4 SCSI card for this?

And.. since it's a internal, I'm assuming some kind of terminator goes
in this mix, but the internal unit only has one SCSI plug???

Thanks
-Richard

Old January 23rd 04, 10:26 AM
John McCabe

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 22:15:14 GMT, Richard Ragon
wrote:

Greetings all..

Picked up a Compaq DLT III XT internal tape drive last week.. Was going
to use it for mastering DVD to production.

Any ways.. it won't fit in the G4 quicksilver, but I was thinking of
placing it inside a PC tower (for power), then running a SCSI cord out
the back, and plug it into my Mac G4.

Can anyone recommend a G4 SCSI card for this?

Sorry, don't know anything about Macs, but...

And.. since it's a internal, I'm assuming some kind of terminator goes
in this mix, but the internal unit only has one SCSI plug???

Presumably you are talking about something like a 50-pin IDC connector
on the back of the unit?

You may be best off searching on ebay or something for a special case
for this kind of thing. A search for 'scsi' and 'enclosure' comes up
with some interesting stuff like:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=36 66

If you can get one with the right connectors on the outside (probably
like the HD-50 connector on
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/scsi_connecters.html) it may have a
ribbon cable internally with a 50pin IDC connector on it. You then
just attach a terminator like this one:

on one of the connectors on the case and attach the other one to the
cable that goes to your Macs SCSI card.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards
John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'
Old January 25th 04, 02:02 PM
David A.Lethe

wrote:

Greetings all..

Picked up a Compaq DLT III XT internal tape drive last week.. Was going
to use it for mastering DVD to production.

Any ways.. it won't fit in the G4 quicksilver, but I was thinking of
placing it inside a PC tower (for power), then running a SCSI cord out
the back, and plug it into my Mac G4.

Can anyone recommend a G4 SCSI card for this?

And.. since it's a internal, I'm assuming some kind of terminator goes
in this mix, but the internal unit only has one SCSI plug???

Thanks
-Richard

My G4 has an adaptec 2930 in it. I don't know if Apple does anything
to the firmware, but the system profile ID's it as a ADPT 2930CU. You
can get it from apple.

(Or check out the adaptec site first, and see if they have
downloadable OS X drivers for you. For me, I didn't mind paying an
extra few bucks to have it work out-of-the-box.

David