Foolproof warning for drive failure in a RAID?

Old January 28th 04, 12:41 AM
Spacey Spade

Spacey Spade wrote in message k.net...
My original post:

************
In article t,
Spacey Spade wrote...

When a drive fails in RAID(1), I would like the RAID to stop functioning
so that users will not continue to operate on the remaining mirror
drive. This with a couple of small businesses not really requiring a
hot spare. I cannot find details anywhere describing exactly what
happens when a disk fails. I wouldn't want them to keep going on one
drive because someone overlooked a BIOS warning that lasted a few
seconds (or whatever it is that happens). I'm going to call the
manufacturers, but I'd like to also know if all manufacturers follow a
pattern or standard of behaviour.

case 1:

A7N8X 2.0 DELUXE mobo inbuilt Silicon Image 3112a SATA controller

case 2:

HighPoint RocketRAID 100 PCI card

TIA,

Spacey

Both controllers have RAID management/notification software that runs
in windows. So far, neither works. The SATALink or SATARaid utility
for ASUS mobo does not detect the mirrored array or drives, even
though they work just fine in windows. ASUS tech support has been
useless. Perhaps the utility expects windows to be installed on the
drives themselves (who knows), and the mirrored drives are for data
only.

As for the RocketRAID management software, it does detect the drives,
but the email notification doesn't seem to work with
smtp.earthlink.net. It definitely would not work with
smtpauth.earthlink.net, because its client is not capable of
authentication. Unlike the SATALink utility, it does not sound off a
wav file since the option doesn't exist (even though the website
mentions "audible alarm"). Haven't heard back from HighPoint yet.

I'll keep this thread updated on future resolutions if someone is
curious enough to post a reply. Spacey

IDE RAID Ted Dawson Asus Motherboards 29 September 21st 04 03:39 AM
Need help with SATA RAID 1 failure on A7N8X Delux Cameron Asus Motherboards 10 September 6th 04 11:50 PM
Asus P4C800 Deluxe ATA SATA and RAID Promise FastTrack 378 Drivers and more. Julian Asus Motherboards 2 August 11th 04 12:43 PM
Gigabyte GA-8KNXP and Promise SX4000 RAID Controller Old Dude Gigabyte Motherboards 4 November 12th 03 07:26 PM
help. ga-7vrxp raid trouble, compatability and warning todd elliott General 0 July 17th 03 06:50 PM