Mukii TransImp enclosu HD upside down

Old September 2nd 14, 05:07 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

Default Mukii TransImp enclosu HD upside down

I am using a Mukii TransImp enclosure for a 2.5" laptop drive. Other
than the gray lettering, it is identical in appearance to
http://www.dx.com/p/mukii-transimp-t...6#.VAVArGMkirE,
except that mine has an eSATA interface. The left edge of the housing
comes off to reveal a plug-in interface. The problem is that if I lay
the enclosure down flat, the HD is upside down from its orientation in
the laptop. Are current day HDs for laptops impervious to the
orientation, or will this be "problematic" in any way?
Old September 2nd 14, 06:37 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

wrote

I am using a Mukii TransImp enclosure for a 2.5" laptop drive.
Other than the gray lettering, it is identical in appearance to
http://www.dx.com/p/mukii-transimp-t...6#.VAVArGMkirE,
except that mine has an eSATA interface. The left edge of the housing
comes off to reveal a plug-in interface. The problem is that if I lay
the enclosure down flat, the HD is upside down from its orientation in
the laptop. Are current day HDs for laptops impervious to the
orientation,

The WD and Seagate datasheets don't say anything about it.

Cant find the Toshiba ones.

or will this be "problematic" in any way?

No.

Old September 3rd 14, 04:39 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

Rod, Robert,

Thanks for the reassurance of the insensitivity of the HD to the physical orientation. Eery how my basic knowledge is so obsolete. When I was in high school (or was it university?), the heads glided on a film of air. Presumably from the velocity at which the surface of the disk moved.
Old September 4th 14, 02:41 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Wednesday, September 3, 2014 9:31:38 AM UTC-4, Robert Nichols
wrote:
On 09/02/2014 10:39 PM, andymhancockATgmailDOTcom wrote:
Eery how my basic knowledge is so obsolete. When I was in high
school (or was it university?), the heads glided on a film of air.
Presumably from the velocity at which the surface of the disk
moved.

They still do. That film is just a lot thinner than it used to be.

If air is what is keeping the head from landing on the surface, it
means there's vertical freedom of movement. Wouldn't turning it
upside cause the head to fall further away from the surface, thus
weakening the signal detection?
Old September 4th 14, 03:32 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mark Perkins

wrote:
On 09/02/2014 10:39 PM, andymhancockATgmailDOTcom wrote:
Eery how my basic knowledge is so obsolete. When I was in high
school (or was it university?), the heads glided on a film of air.
Presumably from the velocity at which the surface of the disk
moved.

They still do. That film is just a lot thinner than it used to be.

If air is what is keeping the head from landing on the surface, it
means there's vertical freedom of movement. Wouldn't turning it
upside cause the head to fall further away from the surface, thus
weakening the signal detection?

Given: a cushion of air keeps the head assembly from touching the platters
when the drive is powered on and the heads aren't parked.

Implied: there's a counteracting force that would cause the head assembly to
drag against the platters if it weren't for that cushion of air.

Your assumption seems to be that gravity is that counteracting force, in
which case turning the drive over would force the mass of the arm and head
assembly to pull the heads away from the platter. But what if the head
assembly is held in place by spring force or a strong magnetic field instead
of gravity?

Disclaimer: I don't know what I'm talking about.

Old September 4th 14, 04:40 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

wrote
Robert Nichols wrote
andymhancockATgmailDOTcom wrote

Eery how my basic knowledge is so obsolete. When
I was in high school (or was it university?), the heads
glided on a film of air. Presumably from the velocity
at which the surface of the disk moved.

They still do. That film is just a lot thinner than it used to be.

If air is what is keeping the head from landing on the surface,

No if about it.

it means there's vertical freedom of movement.

Corse there is.

Wouldn't turning it upside cause the head
to fall further away from the surface,

No, because the head is held against the surface
by the metal that the head is mounted on.

thus weakening the signal detection?

No.

Many drives have a head on each side of the platter,
so turning the drive upside down just sees the other
head below the platter and the other one above it.
Old September 5th 14, 01:44 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

Thank you Mark, Rod, & Arno.

It amazes me that a film of air is able to keep the head off the surface despite the fact that a spring is pressing the head against the surface.

scanner upside down Peter Schuster Scanners 5 August 1st 06 08:39 PM
ATX upside down? [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 2 July 31st 05 09:26 AM
Upside down backward Michael G Cdr 5 February 7th 04 08:01 PM
Upside Down HDD Buck Turgidson General 11 November 4th 03 04:28 PM
Bad Enclosure (ME-720), Good Enclosure (ME-320), Nice Enclosure (HD-227) Mike Rogers Storage (alternative) 0 July 17th 03 02:14 AM