What possible use for an HD with many bad sectors?

Old August 31st 14, 11:04 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

Default What possible use for an HD with many bad sectors?

I recently found that the 2.5" 600MB HD on my laptop had 269
reallocated sectors, which I'm told is obscenely high. So I backed up
to another HD and am now using it as the main drive.

It seems to me that the dubious drive doesn't really have a use except
for things that you don't care about losing. In my books, this means
that an untrustworthy drive is useful for nothing that one would care
to spend time on, i.e., might as well thoroughly erase it and recycle
the electronics.

Am I missing an obvious usage to which such a drive can be put?
Old August 31st 14, 11:14 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

wrote

I recently found that the 2.5" 600MB HD on my laptop had
269 reallocated sectors, which I'm told is obscenely high. So
I backed up to another HD and am now using it as the main drive.

It seems to me that the dubious drive doesn't really have a use except
for things that you don't care about losing. In my books, this means
that an untrustworthy drive is useful for nothing that one would care
to spend time on, i.e., might as well thoroughly erase it and recycle
the electronics.

Am I missing an obvious usage to which such a drive can be put?

Mainly stuff that might be convenient to have available
but which doesn't matter enough to bother to backup.

Like your own usenet posts etc. It can be more convenient
to search your own collection but you can always use
groups.google if you do lose them and stuff like that.
Old August 31st 14, 11:48 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Sunday, August 31, 2014 6:14:13 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:
andymhancockATgmailDOTcom wrote
It seems to me that the dubious drive doesn't really have a use
except for things that you don't care about losing. In my books,
this means that an untrustworthy drive is useful for nothing that
one would care to spend time on, i.e., might as well thoroughly
erase it and recycle the electronics.

Mainly stuff that might be convenient to have available but which
doesn't matter enough to bother to backup.

Like your own usenet posts etc. It can be more convenient to search
your own collection but you can always use groups.google if you do
lose them and stuff like that.

I archive the initial post & URL of the thread in gmail.

Thanks, I'm going thorougly erase & submit the HD for parts recycling.
Old September 1st 14, 10:24 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant[_3_]

On 9/1/2014 10:08 AM PT, Joe Pfeiffer typed:

I recently found that the 2.5" 600MB HD on my laptop had 269
reallocated sectors, which I'm told is obscenely high. So I backed up
to another HD and am now using it as the main drive.

It seems to me that the dubious drive doesn't really have a use except
for things that you don't care about losing. In my books, this means
that an untrustworthy drive is useful for nothing that one would care
to spend time on, i.e., might as well thoroughly erase it and recycle
the electronics.

Am I missing an obvious usage to which such a drive can be put?

Anchor for a very small boat....

Paper weight. I also have a HDD that has bad sectors. It has old
stuff that I copied to the new HDD. It still works sometimes, but I
still have it in case I missed copy I need to get. When it gets worse,
then I will dump it.
--
"Antacid: What ants use to get high." --unknown
| |o o| |
Old September 2nd 14, 03:47 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

Paperweight it is. Thx.
Old September 3rd 14, 08:14 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant[_3_]

On 9/1/2014 7:47 PM PT, typed:

Paperweight it is. Thx.

Hehe. :P
--
"The sun's just a big glass, we're all ants, I LOVE YOU." --"Magnified"
song by the Failure band