Ext. firewire enclosure disk not seen in Win2k...

Old June 28th 03, 11:26 AM
Spendius

Default Ext. firewire enclosure disk not seen in Win2k...

Hi,
I have an external Firewire/USB combo containing a 200G Maxtor
Diamond disk, linked to a Manhattan Mercury 1394 PCI card: when
I switch on the external enclosure, nothing happens in Windows
2000 (until now I was using the USB and when switching on the
external box after a few seconds an extra letter would appear
under the Windows file manager -I bought a firewire card because
my onboard USB plug is the old 1.1 version, which is too slow-).

Could you please tell me what I have to do in order to make
Windows *see* my hard drive, just like it used to with the USB
connection ? The first time I booted my PC after the 1394 card
installation I didn't notice anything special: Windows didn't
ask me anything, I don't think any drivers were added etc. so
I wonder what I still have to do to be able to see my drive...

Thanks a lot in advance !
Regards,
Spendius
Old June 28th 03, 08:22 PM
Dave Hau

Go to System Properties Device Manager and see if you have the following
entry:

IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers
OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

If not, then your firewire card was not installed properly.

If installed properly, the external drive should appear in Windows Explorer
exactly as you described for your USB external drive.

Cheers,
Dave

om...

Old June 29th 03, 07:10 PM
Spendius

"Dave Hau" wrote...
Sorry but I do have what you say (plus another line regarding
the TI chip):
IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers
OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
Texas Instrument IEEE 1394 Host Controller OHCI Compliant (Open
Host Controller Interface)

and I still can't see anything when I switch my enclosure on...
No idea ?

Thks,
Sp