Booting to a sata Hardrive

Old April 9th 05, 02:32 AM

Default Booting to a sata Hardrive

Ok im rather new to SATA hardrives and recently purchased a new
comptuer with a single SATA (WD 80GB) hardrive, the motherboard is a
chaintech summit motherboard s1689 ULi M1689 Nforce4.
http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/p...o=13&PISNo=319

the bios in the drive is a phoenix award 6.00 PG
anyways like i said im rather new to these drives and wasnt quiet
sure how to even go about isntalling windows XP on one. when i first
plugged the drive in and booted of my windows XP pro corporate repack
cd with SP2 included, the installer didnt even recognize that i had a
hardrive, ive read around and learned that you dont need the raid
driver included in the CD with the motherboard if you are installing on
just a single drive as the raid mode is disabled when it detects only
one drive.
anyways what i ended up doing is, after poking around in the BIOS,
is turn on the sata submode from mass storage to ide mode (or something
along those lines) and after that windows detected the drive and
installed on it perfectly.
now comes my problem though, in the BIOS i have the boot sequence
set as cd then hardrive, and when my computer boots, unless it has the
windows cd in the drive i will get a disk boot failure, however if i
have the windows cd in there, after it asks me to press any key to boot
from the cd, and i dont, it will boot fine! this has totaly stumped me,
odviously i dont want to have to have the windows cd in my only cd rom
drive everytime i boot, so if anyone could please please help me i
would really apreciate it, thanks.

Paridoth

Old April 9th 05, 06:02 AM

as a note i recently went into the bios and looked up exactly what the
option was that i had to switch to get the windows setup to recognize
the drive. "SATA Sub-class code" the options are "other mass storage"
and "IDE
controller"

Old April 9th 05, 03:22 PM
_R

On 8 Apr 2005 18:32:12 -0700, wrote:

anyways like i said im rather new to these drives and wasnt quiet
sure how to even go about isntalling windows XP on one. when i first
plugged the drive in and booted of my windows XP pro corporate repack
cd with SP2 included, the installer didnt even recognize that i had a
hardrive,

Paridoth

The boot process is touchy. WinXP before the service packs didn't
even know how to install to a partition larger than 137Gigs. I keep
my boot partitions small, and I use them only for programs--no data--
so they can be imaged easily (see below). And so you could load
a new operating system easily.

Personally, I'd avoid booting to SATA for the moment. I always
try to config boot drives as the most reliable, most standard, and
often the slowest (for heat) drives in the system. System partitions
don't need to be huge, so even if you booted to a 30GB ATA
drive partition, you'd have enough space for installing lots of apps.
Make it 40 or 50 if you think Microsoft is working on a next-gen
pig of an operating system (but what are the chances of that?g)

Once the boot partition is running, THEN you can worry about getting
SATA drivers up. After SATA is around for a while the situation may
change.

I also try to use a standard ATA drive for imaging the system
partition (see Norton Ghost, Drive Image, Acronis, etc). If the
boot partition fails, you should be able to get to your image drive
with a bare-bones system. IOW, I wouldn't count on retrieving
an image via USB/Firewire/network without driver support--
which may not be there on a minimal boot.

I'm using the term 'image' to denote the (usually) compressed
bit-by-bit partition copy that's created by the programs mentioned.

In case you're not familiar, your boot partition needs to be
'imaged'. A simple backup program will probably not work,
as driver files are often represented in the registry (and at
boot time) by their shortened file names (8 chars + 3 ext,
usually like "Shorte~1.drv").

Those names are often recreated on the fly when a file
is copied. If the short file name changes, the boot can
fail. It may look like the system is working, but fail much
later when an obscure driver is needed.

Another idea: As soon as you set up your boot partition,
make an exact copy on another drive (see utils above).
If your system drive fails, plug in the second drive. That
should load enough drivers to give access to your latest
backup image.

Most imaging programs allow you to create a bootable
CD for recovery. I create them, but I've never trust that
approach.

_R
Old April 11th 05, 01:31 PM
Yura Pismerov

Why not select emulation of the legacy IDE (or whatever it is) in the SATA section of the BIOS ?
It has always worked for me.

Old April 12th 05, 12:49 AM
Maxim S. Shatskih

On some mobos like Asus P5P800 (865PE chipset) this causes the 2 SATA
channels to become inter-dependent and unable to operate in parallel with one
another. All like 2 devices on usual ATA cable.

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation

http://www.storagecraft.com