"Print to file" = prn, but how to print such a prn file???

Old November 29th 04, 06:09 PM
FutureChild

"Bald=Beautiful" schreef in bericht
When you "print" a document in Word, you have the option tot print "to
file".
Then you get a .PRN file.
But when I send that file to a colleague how can he print such a file???

first make sure your colleague has the same type of printer because most
drivers add machine specific code to the print file.
If both printers are postscrip, PCL5, HPGL or any of the higher languages
there should be no problems.
best way to prevent problems is to install the specific driver for his/her
printer on your computer.

There are multiple options to send the file itself to the printer:

With MS windows you can drag the *.prn file to the appropriate printer in
the printer list. (It should also work with a mac but I have no experience
with these)
You can send the file to the parallel port using the DOS copy command.
(copy filename.prn lpt1)
If it's networked you can send it using FTP. (ftp ip.addres.here | put
filename.prn)
If it's a usb printer I believe there are utilities to map a lpt port to a
usb device and then use the dos copy command.

Jeff

Old November 29th 04, 10:34 PM
Don Phillipson

"Bald=Beautiful" wrote in message

When you "print" a document in Word, you have the option tot print "to
file".
Then you get a .PRN file.
But when I send that file to a colleague how can he print such a file???

Create for yourself a new printer for manufacter
"Generic" / Text only
and see for yourself.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old November 29th 04, 11:28 PM
Bob Niland

Bald=Beautiful wrote:

When you "print" a document in Word, you have the option
tot print "to file". Then you get a .PRN file.
But when I send that file to a colleague how can
he print such a file???

Basically, open a DOS window and do:
C: COPY /B filename.prn LPTn:

The "/B" is critical.

However, the recipient pretty much has to have the same
printer make & model you do. See:
http://www.access-one.com/rjn/computer/print-to-file.html

The main practical use of print-to-file is to generate .ps
(PostScript) files for Distilling or interchange.

--
Regards, Bob Niland
Old December 5th 04, 11:38 AM
Erts

I use that for .prn, .plt files
http://www.lerup.com/printfile

writing cd`s biggmark Cdr 7 December 31st 04 08:57 AM
Could not perform fixation? Princess Morgiah Cdr 8 June 27th 04 02:30 AM
Nero help needed foghat Cdr 0 May 31st 04 08:23 PM
parhelia w/ 3 monitors tony wong Matrox Videocards 16 September 12th 03 03:59 AM
Help! - The dreaded buffer underrun XPG Cdr 5 August 31st 03 06:27 PM