how to back up windows, not the whole drive?

Old November 16th 04, 09:46 PM
Doc

Default how to back up windows, not the whole drive?

How could I backup windows XP so that I could restore it to the exact
settings I have in place without having to backup the entire drive?

Thanks

Old November 16th 04, 11:24 PM
Peter

It all depends what you mean by "exact settings".

nk.net...

Old November 17th 04, 12:42 AM
Doc

It all depends what you mean by "exact settings".

In other words, Windows crashes. Instead of using the install disc, just
wipe the drive and recopy the backup of windows back to the drive.

Old November 17th 04, 12:48 AM
Jo

"Doc" wrote in news:T7xmd.1320
:

just
wipe the drive and recopy the backup of windows back to the drive.

Sounds feasible. Shame about the user settings, user data and
applications that would be lost though.
Old November 17th 04, 02:34 AM
Peter

In other words, Windows crashes. Instead of using the install disc, just
wipe the drive and recopy the backup of windows back to the drive.

Think differently. Install Windows on empty hard drive, perform basic
configuration. Take a disk image and store it on medium from which you could
easily restore it. Test restore. Done.

Old November 17th 04, 02:52 AM
Doc

"Peter" wrote in message
In other words, Windows crashes. Instead of using the install disc, just
wipe the drive and recopy the backup of windows back to the drive.

Think differently. Install Windows on empty hard drive, perform basic
configuration. Take a disk image and store it on medium from which you

could
easily restore it. Test restore. Done.

What's the difference between a disc image and backing up the harddrive?

Old November 17th 04, 03:28 AM
Peter

What's the difference between a disc image and backing up the harddrive?

What difference aspect are you interested in?
Backup is a broad term to duplicate selected portions of your file system to
another storage media.
Disk image reduces selection criteria to a disk as a whole. It preserves
file system properties.

Old November 17th 04, 01:09 PM
Andy Lee

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:46:12 GMT, "Doc"
wrote:

How could I backup windows XP so that I could restore it to the exact
settings I have in place without having to backup the entire drive?

Thanks

Use ghost to create an image of the partition instead of the whole
drive if XP goes dead the just use ghost to restore the partion
Old November 17th 04, 02:22 PM
J. Clarke

Peter wrote:

What's the difference between a disc image and backing up the harddrive?

What difference aspect are you interested in?
Backup is a broad term to duplicate selected portions of your file system
to another storage media.
Disk image reduces selection criteria to a disk as a whole. It preserves
file system properties.

Actually, the latest and greatest enterprise solution from Symantec (which
is what I suspect they were _really_ after when then bought out PowerQuest)
can do incremental images, just imaging the parts that were changed since
the previous image.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old November 18th 04, 06:00 PM
AnilG

Start out with System Preparation (Sysprep) tool included in Windows XP.

nk.net...