Jim Keller ran away screaming from AMD

Old December 23rd 15, 08:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Anonymous

Default Jim Keller ran away screaming from AMD

I bet Zen is a huge flop.
Although AMD will probably be chapter 11 before even
enginering samples escape.

Old December 23rd 15, 11:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 12/23/2015 4:46 PM, Anonymous wrote:
I bet Zen is a huge flop.
Although AMD will probably be chapter 11 before even
enginering samples escape.

I cannot tell whether AMD has an important place on Earth. Do we really
need two or more x86 CPU architectures?

If we did, then where was the investment?

--
@~@ Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
Old December 23rd 15, 01:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 19:48:53 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
wrote:

| On 12/23/2015 4:46 PM, Anonymous wrote:
| I bet Zen is a huge flop.
| Although AMD will probably be chapter 11 before even
| enginering samples escape.
|

| I cannot tell whether AMD has an important place on Earth. Do we really
| need two or more x86 CPU architectures?

Maybe they can keep making graphics processors. Although they do need to do a better
job of supplying current drivers for yesterday's Radeon models.

Larc
Old December 23rd 15, 07:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike[_31_]

"Mr. Man-wai Chang" wrote in message
| On 12/23/2015 4:46 PM, Anonymous wrote:
| I bet Zen is a huge flop.
| Although AMD will probably be chapter 11 before even
| enginering samples escape.
|

| I cannot tell whether AMD has an important place on Earth. Do we
really
| need two or more x86 CPU architectures?
|
| If we did, then where was the investment?
|
| --

Without AMD and a free competitive market you would not have 64 bit
extensions to x86

Old December 23rd 15, 09:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Easter

Anonymous wrote:
I bet Zen is a huge flop.
Although AMD will probably be chapter 11 before even
enginering samples escape.

Keller left in Sep which period saw AMD at 1.5-2.0 a share.

6 mo prior to Keller's departure, in Mar, it was seen bouncing above 3.

In that time frame and prior to Keller leaving, a rosy article was
written suggesting $10 AMD in 2017.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2976...-be-10-by-2017
10 Reasons Why AMD Will Be $10 By 2017 - Mar. 5, 2015

Currently AMD's price has recovered from its Jul-Nov slump when it spent
a good deal of time below 2 and is now back up to 2.83, similar to Apr
values.

--
Mike Easter
Old December 23rd 15, 09:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Easter

Mike Easter wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
I bet Zen is a huge flop.
Although AMD will probably be chapter 11 before even
enginering samples escape.

Currently AMD's price has recovered from its Jul-Nov slump when it spent
a good deal of time below 2 and is now back up to 2.83, similar to Apr
values.

Barron's in depth favorable (cautiously optimistic) report from Nov.

http://www.barrons.com/articles/amd-...ths-1447419030
AMD Could Be Profitable in 24 Months - We are cautiously optimistic on
Advanced Micro Devices’s ramp of new product programs in 2016, but much
of the success will depend on the company’s execution, both
time-to-market and product performance/power efficiency. - We held
investor meetings with Dr. Lisa Su, AMD’s president and chief executive.

--
Mike Easter
Old December 24th 15, 05:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 18:31:37 +0100, lid wrote:

Do we really
need two or more x86 CPU architectures?

Preferably more. Real free market economies need competition instead
of monopolies. But perhaps that's not understood in dictatorial
countries with state capitalism.

At some point it gets redundant to field the competition;...to say the
least--Texas Instruments, Cyrix, AMD, and Intel, all putting out a
unique spin on 80xxx architecture, imaginably, MB's BIOS support
implementation--and it's an overcrowded scenario for market wagering
mechanics and a joy to lay the proverbial shirt on one's back at first
odds for who's blowing hardest at going belly up.

In God we most definitely trust to help us, though, were the Chinese,
or those similarly minded, entrusted with any sizeable corner on MPU
derivatives. . .given a past consistency for contributions in the
computer espionage field from Beijing's state sponsored Military
Academy of programming.

I'll never personally forget AMD's position against a once dominate
Intel, though. TI or Cyrix weren't quite ready for the role of
short-term players in that particular period.

It would at a time placed for when 80XX EEMS/EMS standards for "task
swapping" were disadvantaged from a standpoint of technological
advancements Intel by then had gained on both 80286 and 80386
platforms (ie, true multitasking).

An interim of quite some time involved for AMD to muster steam to
drive its own version of a multitasking 386 MPU to compete with
Intel;- an interval of amounting to eons, not ages, comparatively
applied from inflated pricing Intel derived on its 386, while it
could, and a subsequent "pop" to that balloon upon AMD's introduction
of its 803XX class architecture, as prices subsequently plummeted
overnight.

Greenspan, then FED chairman, you may recall shortly after drove a
stake through the heart of an overheated technological market
(frenzied technological expectations of exponential derivatives);-...
perhaps not quite far enough. ...In a country where median car
pricing begins at $20,000/US, occurring to approach home property
appraisals at near to vehicular regulatory standards, (for luxury
derived amenities such as a $1000 "brake safety system," driven off an
"idiot light" for four battery powered tire pressure stems, studies
coincidently apprise for neither wide usages or greater appreciation
by a mass accommodate over industry slogans and advertising), the
motif of capitalism (disregarding variants practised elsewhere)
needn't be seen particular to Intel, should Intel drive CPU pricing,
in the event AMD is eclipsed, to over $500/US for an entry MPU seen on
the playing field for the game, "the sky is the limit," once again.

In distancing some centuries for both scientific rationale and an
focus of efficacy so applied, capitalism no less equally has adapted
its nature ... hardly, if at all, by variance in balance of
universities given withal its means and impetus;- however, capitalism
yet has to succeed, fully, to what measure is to impress Decadence,
over Reason and Rationale, to besmirch what remains from a portcullis
of greed behind thin veils accounting a great many of its conveyances.
Old December 24th 15, 11:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_36_]

Flasherly wrote:
[...]

After all that, I still couldn't tell. Are you pro-Trump, or anti-Trump???

Old December 24th 15, 02:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Thu, 24 Dec 2015 06:22:41 -0500, Bill
wrote:

After all that, I still couldn't tell. Are you pro-Trump, or anti-Trump???

Maybe, like you, I'm a card-carrying, true-blue Social Democrat?

Cheers.
Old December 26th 15, 01:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

"
I cannot tell whether AMD has an important place on Earth. Do we really
need two or more x86 CPU architectures?
"

Yup, especially since Skylake PCB's are too thin ! =D

Bye,
Skythin =D