How to wire up usb ports to ABIT motherboard

Old April 22nd 06, 04:57 AM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

Default How to wire up usb ports to ABIT motherboard

I have a Abit SG-80 motherboard, and I having a problem of how to connect
the wiring for the case's UBS ports to the motherboard.

It seems while there are 9 pins on the MB, only 4 connectors are on the
wire.

And to make it worse the nomenclature is not the same on either.

For example, on the motherboard the pin are assigned like this:

1 USBPWR -Front Panel USB Power
2 USBPWR -Front Panel USB Power
3 USB_FP_P0- USB Port 0 Negative Signal
4 USB_FP_P1- USB Port 1 Negative Signal
5 USB_FP_P0+ USB Port 0 Positive Signal
6 USB_FP_P1+ USB Port 1 Positive Signal
7 GND Ground
8 GND Ground
9 Key No pin
10 NC NC

Bur, on the connectors on the wiring in the case that leads to the front USB
ports, thy are listed as follows:

Data-2
Data+2
VCC 2
Ground 2

So, can anyone give me a clue on how to wire this up?

Also, when I tun off the computer I find that the scroll lock lite remains
on. Only when I turn the switch on the power supply to off that this lite
goes out.

Any thought on why, and how to fix it?

Plus, does the case built in speaker get connected to the AUX audio
connector?

Or does it go somewhere else?

Old April 22nd 06, 05:37 AM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 23:57:30 -0400, Zentraleinheit wrote:

I have a Abit SG-80 motherboard, and I having a problem of how to connect
the wiring for the case's UBS ports to the motherboard.

It seems while there are 9 pins on the MB, only 4 connectors are on the
wire.

Should be 4 wires, with a connector on each wire, per port. IOW's, 8
wires/connectors to go to a 2 port USB jack.

And to make it worse the nomenclature is not the same on either.

For example, on the motherboard the pin are assigned like this:

1 USBPWR -Front Panel USB Power
2 USBPWR -Front Panel USB Power
3 USB_FP_P0- USB Port 0 Negative Signal 4 USB_FP_P1- USB Port 1 Negative
Signal 5 USB_FP_P0+ USB Port 0 Positive Signal 6 USB_FP_P1+ USB Port 1
Positive Signal 7 GND Ground
8 GND Ground
9 Key No pin
10 NC NC

Bur, on the connectors on the wiring in the case that leads to the front
USB ports, thy are listed as follows:

Data-2
Data+2
VCC 2
Ground 2

So, can anyone give me a clue on how to wire this up?

If you're only going to hook up one port (4 connectors), then data- goes
to 0 negative, data+ goes to 0 positive. VCC goes to power, and well
groung goes to ground. Now I don't recall ever seeing a case with just one
front panel USB port so you should look for another 4 wires somewhere if
there's 2 ports on the front. This may be clearer.

Pin # Panel wire
1 VCC 1
2 VCC 2
3 Data-1
4 Data-2
5 Data+1
6 Data+2
7 Ground 1
8 Ground 2

Also, when I tun off the computer I find that the scroll lock lite
remains on. Only when I turn the switch on the power supply to off that
this lite goes out.

The you aren't turning the machine off, just putting it to sleep
(standby). If you want it to do a complete power down, look in the bios.

Plus, does the case built in speaker get connected to the AUX audio
connector?

No.

Or does it go somewhere else?

It goes to the MB speaker pins. Should be around the other case
connection pins. usually marked SPKR, 4 pin wide/long.

Old April 22nd 06, 01:16 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

Oh thank you for the help, the last time I tried to do this I started a
small fire on the MB.

That MB is still working, but, I may have lost one usb port!

Now I don't recall ever seeing a case with just one front panel USB port

Yes there are 2 ports on the case, so I assum that they are wired the same.

The you aren't turning the machine off, just putting it to sleep

That might also explain why the computer freezes at the sign off screen
instead of turning off.

So, I'll have another look in the bios

It goes to the MB speaker pins. Should be around the other case connection

pins. usually marked SPKR, 4 pin wide/long

There seems not to be speaker pins on this motherboard. Or at lease I can't
find it on the board, or even mention in the manual. The nearest I can find
is the connectors that are used if one wants to use the case's
headphone/microphone plugs, Is there something more I should be looking for?

Old April 22nd 06, 09:38 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

I look into it

But, now I have bigger problems

see new post about no cd/dvd drives