Boot AIX from SAN using DMP

Old December 1st 04, 10:32 PM
daniel

Default Boot AIX from SAN using DMP

We are trying to have a diskless AIX system... Booting AIX from our HDS
lightning box it not a problem, works fine. The issue comes up when we
try to frovide redundancy to the rootvg. There are a number of DMP
products we can use HDLM, MPIO or VxVM. However it seems none of them
are supported and the certified configuration from IBM and HDS is to
give two seperate disks to each HBA and use LVM to mirror to these two
disks. Well I dont have to explain to anyone what a rediculous situation
this is... So my question is, is there any other way we can do this,
does anyone have any experiance booting AIX with redundant paths from a SAN?
Old December 2nd 04, 07:28 AM
Rob Turk

"daniel" wrote in message
We are trying to have a diskless AIX system... Booting AIX from our HDS
lightning box it not a problem, works fine. The issue comes up when we try
to frovide redundancy to the rootvg. There are a number of DMP products we
can use HDLM, MPIO or VxVM. However it seems none of them are supported
and the certified configuration from IBM and HDS is to give two seperate
disks to each HBA and use LVM to mirror to these two disks. Well I dont
have to explain to anyone what a rediculous situation this is... So my
question is, is there any other way we can do this, does anyone have any
experiance booting AIX with redundant paths from a SAN?

It's not as ridiculous as you think. Unless DMP is implemented as an
inherent part of the system or HBA firmware it's impossible to run any DMP
services before AIX is booted. So keeping a mirror is about the only thing
you can do once the system is up. You can do that in hardware too, you don't
need to use software mirroring.

Rob