Mysterious internet/ethernet issue (kinda need testing/connection/communicationservice to diagnose it ???)

Old October 12th 18, 04:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Mysterious internet/ethernet issue (kinda needtesting/connection/communication service to diagnose it ???)

Also, if it's a cable modem, there's usually a web server located at
http://192.168.100.1

Suppose the cable modem does listen to 192.168.100.1 what should the netmask be on my windows computer to be able to access it ? And what should the ip address of the windows computer be ?

Some guesses:

Windows PC 192.168.100.2

Mask either: 255.255.255.0

or

Mask either: 255.255.254.0 ?

or

Mask either: 255.255.0.0 ?

Tried some of these some time.

Never really understood how to compute these netmasks properly, it's a very fokking annoying feature of the internet tech.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old October 12th 18, 04:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

I tried:

192.168.100.2 for windows PC
255.255.255.0 netmask.

The cable modem remains unaccessable from the local LAN.

So your knowledge of this is now completely useless, because of either:

1. It's locked by the ISP, these cable modems can only be accessed from the outside.

2. It's a bug/problem, modem was resetted.

Most likely cause is locking/updating of the cable modem bios/firmware.

There was a thread on the internet about people locating their public IPs of their cable modems, this is more difficult to do then it seems.

A tracert will probably not report it because the cable modem does not take part in the trace and does not reveal itself ? Or there is another reason for it.

If you know how to find my public IP address of my Cable modem I am all ears, cause this is interesting stuff.

And apperently it is something completely different than my Windows PC public IP address which I can tell you right now is simply:

85.25.113.203

mask

255.255.254.0

gateway

84.25.112.1

dhcp

10.255.235.1

Scan/do with it what you want

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old October 12th 18, 04:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
Well, to get this lucrative project under way, I
need to know the *model number* of the modem. Just
in case it's a modem/router... Is it an Alcatel or
a Fritz, or something else ?

Cable modem: Ubee evm320b

I already tried searching the internet for a manual. I only found a manual for a slightly different version, one that also has a wireless chip inside of it if I recall.

This exact model's manual seems to be missing.

But it's basically a standard cable modem/docsis modem probably 2.0 or so.

I tried shields up, but had windows firewall running, and everything shows green.

Already tried this tool in the past, could close down the firewall... it's a nice tool.

I guess it's somewhat usefull at finding open ports when firewall is down... proving that that computer can reach my computer...

But since my computer contacted that website... it's pretty useless since this is how NAT is circumvented.

My computer makes outbound connection to web and thus web is allowed to connect to my computer.

I hope now that you understand that I don't think this tool is very usefull... though I may be wrong, since the scan can be started later.

But websites can use tricks to keep connections open perhaps that is what shields up is doing.

For my test, you would try to connect to my computer without my computer making an outbound connection to your computer.

At least that is kinda the idea.

Bye,
Skybuck.

OK, maybe your Inbound are all blocked by default.
That seems sensible.

This article addresses Outbound, but you can see
the Firewall window also has an "Inbound" section.
For test, you'd want to set up a server on Port 80 (WWW)
or Port 23 (FTP).

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/site...all_rules1.png

( https://www.digitalcitizen.life/mana...anced-security )

With the Firewall opened, and a server task connected
to that port, *then* you can scan with GRC.

I'm not convinced yet, that your device is bridged though.
It's a modem/router.

*******

https://www.ebay.com/p/Slightly-Zigg...ter/1183276738

BRAND Ubee
MPN EVM320B ("Ambit"???)
Model EVM3200 === device family, discontinued?

That got me here, and at the bottom of the page is a manual.

https://ubeeinteractive.nl/

76 page manual

https://ubeeinteractive.nl/images/zi...eavanceerd.pdf

"Port Forwarding" is there (page 24). The thing has phone jacks (VOIP)
so you would expect a router inside.

I'm sure there's a way to turn off the gateway and
router and just make a "modem" out of it, but that
would be a terrible waste. If the router isn't
all that good though, I could see someone turning
off the feature.

Paul
Old October 12th 18, 06:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 05:52:41 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Well, to get this lucrative project under way, I
need to know the *model number* of the modem. Just
in case it's a modem/router... Is it an Alcatel or
a Fritz, or something else ?

Cable modem: Ubee evm320b

I already tried searching the internet for a manual. I only found a manual for a slightly different version, one that also has a wireless chip inside of it if I recall.

This exact model's manual seems to be missing.

But it's basically a standard cable modem/docsis modem probably 2.0 or so.

I tried shields up, but had windows firewall running, and everything shows green.

Already tried this tool in the past, could close down the firewall... it's a nice tool.

I guess it's somewhat usefull at finding open ports when firewall is down... proving that that computer can reach my computer...

And equally useful at finding open ports when the Windows firewall is
up. The typical Windows firewall has tons of holes poked in it and
Shields Up will show those. Now if you did the scan and it shows
everything Closed or Stealth, then my guess is that you have a "stateful
firewall" in your modem, which in turn means your modem is NOT a plain
modem. It's a modem-router combo. Modems don't have firewalls, but
consumer routers almost always do, especially NAT routers.

By the way, you didn't mention the results of the test to check for NAT.
I'm guessing you'll find that NAT is indeed involved.

But since my computer contacted that website... it's pretty useless since this is how NAT is circumvented.

That's incorrect. You contacted grc.com and launched the Shields Up
tool, right? As a result, a server at grc.com attempted to open *NEW*
connections to what it thinks is your IP address. Those new connections
are not the same as, and have nothing to do with, your connection to
grc.com. They are entirely different connections, and your stateful
firewall will treat them as separate connections. Just because you
opened an outbound connection to grc.com doesn't mean that all inbound
connections from grc.com are suddenly allowed. It doesn't work that way.

When you open an outbound connection, a "tuple" is created at each end
of the connection that consists of 4 parts: your local IP address (the
source IP), your local TCP port (the source port, randomly selected from
the range of 1024 to 65535), the destination IP address, and the
destination port. With NAT, the tuple at your end and the tuple at the
remote end are going to be different, but the NAT device transparently
handles the translation so that's not an issue. So when the Shields Up
program tries to open a connection to you, the tuple for that connection
doesn't match the tuple for your outbound connection and thus it's
treated as an entirely new connection.

My computer makes outbound connection to web and thus web is allowed to connect to my computer.

No, that's incorrect.

I hope now that you understand that I don't think this tool is very usefull... though I may be wrong, since the scan can be started later.

You're right when you say that you're wrong on that part.

But websites can use tricks to keep connections open perhaps that is what shields up is doing.

For my test, you would try to connect to my computer without my computer making an outbound connection to your computer.

At least that is kinda the idea.

Yep, that's exactly what Shields Up does. It tries to make unsolicited
connections to your computer, then it uses the existing connection to
show you the results.

Old October 12th 18, 06:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

I used this UDP port scanner to send UDP packets to my computer:

https://hackertarget.com/udp-port-scan/

So far my computer seems to be receiving UDP packets fine, even with my own software.

I did reset cable modem though before this test to do some experiments.

Maybe that has something to do with it.

Still need a tester to test tcp/ip custom tools and finally the coin system.

It would be very weird if it wouldn't work after this confirmation udp seems to be working fine.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old October 12th 18, 06:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 08:45:53 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Also, if it's a cable modem, there's usually a web server located at
http://192.168.100.1

Suppose the cable modem does listen to 192.168.100.1 what should the netmask be on my windows computer to be able to access it ? And what should the ip address of the windows computer be ?

It's actually much easier than that. You don't need to make any changes
to your networking configuration because if the cable modem has a web
server listening at that address, it simply "sniffs" the outbound
traffic to see the destination IP address. If it matches the address of
the internal web server, the traffic is redirected to the internal web
server rather than forwarded on to your ISP (to the Internet).

The only time you'd need to make a network change is if you have a NAT
router and you've configured the LAN side to be in the 192.168.100.0/24
subnet. In that case, you wouldn't be able to reach a web server in the
cable modem. The technical details probably don't matter to you.

I get the sense that your modem is a combo modem-router, so the web
server that shows cable modem statistics, if there is one, would be
accessible via one of the pages at the LAN address of the router side of
that device. I haven't seen combo modem-router devices that have a
separate web server at 192.168.100.1 like plain cable modems usually do.
It's also possible that your ISP doesn't allow you to see that
information, but in all cases they can see it from their side. From
their side, the modem device has an entirely different IP address that
they can use to access it and see what's going on. You can't use that IP
address because traffic to that address has to come in over the coax
line.

Some guesses:

Windows PC 192.168.100.2

Mask either: 255.255.255.0

That would work if you're connecting directly to a plain cable modem
that has a web server at 192.168.100.1. If there's a router between your
PC and the modem, it won't work. The technical details probably don't
matter to you but, in a nutshell, you can't have the same subnet on two
sides of a router and expect the router to pass that traffic.

or

Mask either: 255.255.254.0 ?

or

Mask either: 255.255.0.0 ?

Tried some of these some time.

Never really understood how to compute these netmasks properly, it's a very fokking annoying feature of the internet tech.

Annoying perhaps, but critical to the success of any networking, whether
local on your LAN or extending to the Internet as a whole. Simply put,
the netmask tells you which part of an IP address refers to the network
and which part identifies the particular host.

Old October 12th 18, 07:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Everything seems fine with my IP/UDP situation. (Resetted cable modem too)

Used a port scanner to send some udp packets to my computer.

This one udp packet at port 69 arrived at my computer.

I also re-enabled winpcap to see what is going on.

Could see ip/udp packets coming in just fine.

So it's probably other ****ty systems not being able to connect, still confused about this.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old October 12th 18, 07:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 08:55:31 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I tried:

192.168.100.2 for windows PC
255.255.255.0 netmask.

The cable modem remains unaccessable from the local LAN.

Assuming you were still physically connected directly to the modem
device, that tells me one of two things:
1. The modem may not have a web server at all. Not all plain DOCSIS
modems do, although most do.
2. Or, your modem may be a combo modem-router, which I believe is likely
to be the case. As a result, there will not be a web server listening at
the usual 192.168.100.1 address because:
2A: the modem info is available via the router interface, or
2B: the ISP doesn't make the modem info available to you.

So your knowledge of this is now completely useless, because of either:

1. It's locked by the ISP, these cable modems can only be accessed from the outside.

2. It's a bug/problem, modem was resetted.

Most likely cause is locking/updating of the cable modem bios/firmware.

There was a thread on the internet about people locating their public IPs of their cable modems, this is more difficult to do then it seems.

It's difficult because cable modems don't have public IP addresses, at
least not a public address that you can access (if the ISP is doing
their job properly). A plain DOCSIS modem will usually have a web server
at 192.168.100.1 that is only accessible from the LAN side of the modem,
(you can access it, but the ISP cannot), and a web server that is only
accessible from the WAN side of the modem (the ISP can access it, but
you cannot). Technically, the WAN IP is a publicly routable IP, but if
the ISP is even slightly competent, you should not be able to access
your modem via that IP. You'd have to traverse multiple firewalls that
are internal to the ISP.

A tracert will probably not report it because the cable modem does not take part in the trace and does not reveal itself ? Or there is another reason for it.

At the networking level, a plain cable modem is technically a bridge,
and bridges don't operate at OSI Layer 3 where traceroutes operate.
That's why cable modems don't show up in a traceroute. However, it
appears that you don't have a plain cable modem, but a combo
modem-router unit. As such, it (the router portion of that combo device)
should appear in your traceroute results. The modem portion will not
show up because of the reason given above.

If you know how to find my public IP address of my Cable modem I am all ears, cause this is interesting stuff.

And apperently it is something completely different than my Windows PC public IP address which I can tell you right now is simply:

85.25.113.203

mask

255.255.254.0

gateway

84.25.112.1

I assume that's a typo. The gateway should be 85.25.112.1

dhcp

10.255.235.1

If that's the IP address of your PC, then yes, you're using NAT. By
definition, addresses within the 10.x.x.x range are not publicly
routable.

Old October 12th 18, 07:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Tomorrow new device will arrive between 10h and 13h according to a mail I got.

So if true, then by tomorrow at least TV signal will be better, maybe my internet connection will be even faster.

It seems wise to wait with testing until this device is replaced, then again, I remain very skeptical that this noise on tv signal has any effect on cable modem.

I shall perform some speed tests just to see if there is any difference before and after replacing the device.

Another explanation could be that PC too slow to achieve certain speeds, then again I think under ideal circumstances, 50 megabyte/sec should be doable for this system perhaps even 100 megabyte/sec.

So far I could download 20 megabyte/sec with bittorrent just fine this year..

The harddisk/cpu can't even keep up with it having to calculate sha256 hashes.

I think 20 megabyte/sec is already pretty insane fast

Cannot imagine it becoming any faster thx to new device.

My hypothesis for now is:

The 69 million dropped packets may have been an incident or some other case, maybe PC too slow occasionally.

Kinda wanted to now if this was sporadic or constantly...

This is why I would like to get into the cable modem's log to see it with my own eyes to see what is going on.

Perhaps this docsis is so good that this noise doesn't even influence the speed to match... then again... a dropped packet is a dropped packet... maybe some docsis frames not sure what this guy ment.

Not being able to go into this cable modem log kinda sucks though.

Now I am not sure if the noise/packet loss was real and what kind...

I do have logs from long ago... showing some kind of signal loss but that was probably when the operating on the net... this was 2004/2005 maybe 2009.... and a different cable modem a surfboard.

Anyway...

Tonight and maybe tomorrow night I will try and scan a certain 10.x.x.x ip range since this is supposed to be the public ip ranges of these cable modems.

In an attempt to find my cable modems IP.

Or perhaps a better idea, phone the ISP... ask them the IP address of my cable modem... but for me it's kinda more fun to perform a scan just to see if that works or not. Since it will be at night not too much of a big deal for me... except system collecting some dust... Maybe I ll try even both not sure yet.

Also depends on if others will test this software with me or not, then I may just skip the whole thing and hope for the best.

What if tv signal does not improve ? Hmmm then I will continue performing software test if I manage to find somebody to do this with.

Bye for now,
Skybuck.
Old October 12th 18, 07:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 11:56:41 -0400, Paul wrote:

For test, you'd want to set up a server on Port 80 (WWW)
or Port 23 (FTP).

Tip 1: If you're testing locally, any unused port is fair game.
Tip 2: Port 23 is Telnet. FTP is port 21 for the control channel, plus
port 20 or a random high port for the data channel, depending on whether
it's configured to be Active or Passive.

I'm not convinced yet, that your device is bridged though.
It's a modem/router.

I agree. It sure looks that way.