Best printers for photo printing on "plain paper"? (or maybe you've got some better ideas altoghether)

Old June 19th 05, 12:38 AM
JSteele

Default Best printers for photo printing on "plain paper"? (or maybe you've got some better ideas altoghether)

I'm currently putting together a portable video capture system for a color
endoscopy camera. The client wants to be able to print good quality (as near
as photo quality as reasonably possible) frame captures on paper along with
a black text letterhead and some descriptive comments about the respective
captures. He wants to be able to print on "plain paper" because, in his
view, it's more affordable and he's under the impression that any sort of
"photo paper" won't allow him to print quality black text on the same page
with video captures.

I'm frankly lost. Printers and paper stocks are not my area of expertise, so
I'm looking for your help and advice. What would you recommend in the way of
low to mid range priced inkjet printers that would fit the bill? Or, perhaps
you have a recommendation for a type of paper stock which will meet his
needs for both black text and near-photo quality.

This printer, btw, would print, on average, only about 80-100 pages per
month, so even higher cost inks and paper stock would most likely be
acceptable to the client.

Would really appreciate help on this issue. I imagine that there's more info
some of you might need in order to make a recommendation, so please fire
away if you have any other questions.

Thank you all very much.

Old June 19th 05, 01:02 AM
Tony

I note that you mentioned inkjets but it may be worthwhile looking at a colour
laser. Many of them print excellent photographs on plain paper and the cost per
print is much lower than an inkjet. HP and OKI make very good colour lasers,
I'm sure that others do also but I have more experience with these vendors. OKI
have flat paper path models which are competitively priced and have low cost of
ownership. I have a customer who replaced an inkjet with a colour laser and
whose printing costs have reduced by 60%, they print about 100 colour
photographs per month and maybe 500 pages of text. They did their own cost of
ownership analysis including all consumable parts (Drums, toner, fuser and
transfer unit) anticipating a 3 year use of the laser, the inkjet they had been
sold by the system provider lasted 1 month past warranty (!) because it was
printing 600 pages a month and was poorly specified for the workload.
If you believe an inkjet is the way to go then perhaps one of the HP
Professional models would suit. Many of them have separate printheads and ink
cartridges for each colour and they produce excellent results. I suspect that
low to mid-range inkjet printers may not be the best in the long run for
something as professional as you describe.
Tony

Old June 19th 05, 01:38 AM
JSteele

Tony,

Thanks for the response. Your advice regarding the cost advantages of the
color laser vs. the inkjet is compelling, of course. I'll look into what
you're suggesting--unfortunately, my client here is notoriously short-term
in his finacial thinking.

One other question comes to my mind though regarding a color laser unit and
that is size. Aren't most of the color laser units fairly large relative to
most inkjet systems? I've only got a 24"x17" shelf atop a mobile cart within
which to fit a Shuttle mini-pc, a flat panel monitor and a printer, so space
could be an issue. Of course, I haven't eyeballed any of the newer laser
units of the past two years or so, so perhaps they've come down in size.
I'll have to take a gander at the specs on some of the HP and OKI color
lasers.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out, Tony.

Take care

Old June 19th 05, 01:48 AM
Tony

Ah, you do have a space issue with a colour laser, they are much bigger than
most inkjets. Different makes and models have different profiles but are
certainly bigger and heavier. Maybe the HP Professional inkjets are a better
fit for the job, they are reasonably sized and may also suit a short term
financial view more effectively.
Good luck
Tony

Old June 19th 05, 02:02 AM
measekite

I would recommend a Canon IP5000 using Canon OEM ink and Hammermill
inkjet paper. The ink can be purchased at Costco and the paper is sold
at Office Depot and Staples. For better photo quality I would recommend
Epson matte paper; either single or double sided. The reverse side can
be used for more text and the printer has dual paper feed and duplex
printing mode.

Old June 19th 05, 03:41 AM
Tony

Hi once more,
You will have seen a post from measekite who recommends the ip5000.
This printer has the finest nozzles available on the market (I think) and this
technology (1pcl) is yet to be proven, in my business I have seen several
ip5000's go back to the manufacturer under warranty all with print quality
problems, on the other hand I have not seen any ip4000's in for warranty
repairs and more of them have been sold. I am beginning to wonder if there is a
problem with the 1pcl technology, just an observation. The quality of the
ip4000 colour prints is very high and I doubt if the ip5000 offers any
advantages in the situation you are describing. I speak from actual experience
with the reliability of these printers and not from a position of entrenchment.
I own an ip4000 and it is a great printer for the home environment. Having said
that, I do not think that the Canon PIXMA series is aimed at the professional
market, the HP Business Inkjet series
(http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...51-411179.html)
certainly is and I still think the extra cost will buy long term benefit in
terms of reliability and much cheaper replacement of the individual print heads
if they ever fail. Canon printhead replacement is a costly exercise and many
say not worthwhile. HP 11 individual printheads have an anticipated life of
16000 pages approx, I don't think Canon will tell you what their print head
life expectancy is. Horses for Courses in my opinion, professional printers for
professinal applications!
Tony

Old June 19th 05, 04:15 AM
Bob Headrick

"JSteele" wrote in message
I'm currently putting together a portable video capture system for a color
endoscopy camera. The client wants to be able to print good quality (as near
as photo quality as reasonably possible) frame captures on paper along with
a black text letterhead and some descriptive comments about the respective
captures. He wants to be able to print on "plain paper" because, in his
view, it's more affordable and he's under the impression that any sort of
"photo paper" won't allow him to print quality black text on the same page
with video captures.

I would suggest looking at the HP DeskJet 6540, see
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...51-357210.html .
There is also a version with built in networking, the 6840. Printing in best
mode these will give pretty good photos on plain paper. For best results on
both photo and text on the same paper try a coated inkjet paper such as HP
Premium Inkjet paper, see
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...138-16139.html.
This is about $0.10/sheet and has a finish like normal paper but is a it
thicker and has a special coating to give better results for both text and
color printing.

Regards,

and using some inkjet coated paper such as

Old June 19th 05, 06:47 AM
zakezuke

I've only got a 24"x17" shelf atop a mobile cart within
which to fit a Shuttle mini-pc, a flat panel monitor and a printer, so space
could be an issue.

Most lasers are front feeders. It doesn't have to be on the top. Many
if not most offer a straight path i.e. paper in the front output in the
rear. I know WiFi isn't popular around medical equipment, but is
ethernet an option? Print the the office color copier/laser.

The whole business of not considering inkjet paper is well nutty esp
considering that many inkjets when printing full color letter sized are
bucks/page, were 69lb Kirkland photo paper is 16c a page when bought in
a 125p pack. You could say the simple bulk of the paper would cause
the folders to explode, but it's costs is peanuts.

Imagine a yield 400 pages at 5% for $15 each color or $60. Then
imagine 100% is 20pages, at $60. Now imagine an 8 color printer at
$120 for 20 pages .

Assuming plain paper... The Epson Stylus c86 isn't too bad on your
usual paper. Price mark $90 to $100, $20 rebate if you are not lazy.
Huge black for text, pigmented DuraBright ink. I think it's like $60
to refill. Extra large black is a nice feature. But after a certain
number of copies it has to be serviced for a diaper replacement, will
blink won't print. I printed 5 inch circle daily for 6 months before
my diaper overflowed. For any sort of serious work, you should pickup
an extra just in case it needs to be serviced during it's warranty
period, which given 3 copies a daily of text and photo, it likely will.

I tend to argue, "Sure we can go with the $100 printer, but we'll shell
out hundrads a month for the ink. And we'll have to pickup three,
after all they need to be serviced after the 10th refill or so and we
don't want down time do we. So we'll cycle two inbetween the shop
that's 20 miles away, and when the warranty expires we can use the 3rd
till we get another three. Or we can just get a laser, lower our text
documents to under a cent a page and our graphics under a buck a page.
". -Cart count I pulled out of the air, don't have any clue how many
carts = full diaper.

There is also the r800 which is very nice on plain paper, but it costs
$400... might as well go laser if you have the room.

Both are top feeders IIRC
One set of reviews on photo papers for the Epsons
http://members.cox.net/rmeyer9/epson/eastwood.html

-----

Someone might recommend the ip5000 as far as consumer grade inkjets go.
I have to admit, it's more cart compatible than the older i960 (very
nice 6-color printer) which is a top feeder 6 color, but the ip6000 has
6 color (4+2) as well and is the same basic box will fit on the cart
shape. I don't know how any of these look on plain paper, I only have
an ip3000 and a mp760, and either of those don't look anywhere near
photographic quality, and the paper gets wet and warps.

----

HP has some nice options but I haven't shopped for HP in some time.
But I gotta agree with Tony on this. Many of the printers in the HP
professional class take huge carts, a point as you are printing 3
copies of mixed text/graphics a day. You tend to lose more from
downtime then you'd save going with consumer grade and 15ml carts.

Old June 19th 05, 06:49 AM
measekite

Tony wrote:

Hi once more,
You will have seen a post from measekite who recommends the ip5000.
This printer has the finest nozzles available on the market (I think) and this
technology (1pcl) is yet to be proven, in my business I have seen several
ip5000's go back to the manufacturer under warranty all with print quality
problems, on the other hand I have not seen any ip4000's in for warranty
repairs and more of them have been sold. I am beginning to wonder if there is a
problem with the 1pcl technology, just an observation. The quality of the
ip4000 colour prints is very high and I doubt if the ip5000 offers any
advantages

Not for photos but for business documents.

Old June 19th 05, 07:08 AM
Chuck

An argument for the Color Laser might be that of printout durability as well
as dependability. (no nozzle clogging)
The basic "footprint" for many of the current lasers is no more than that
for some of the larger ink jet/ bubble jet printers.
On the other hand , some of the inkjet printers are so cheap with discounts
that you can buy a new one for about the same price as the set of
replacement ink tanks. IE $99 for a new printer with ink tanks, $59 for a
set of ink tanks.
(Buy them by the dozen?)

"JSteele" wrote in message
[...]

double-sided printing with laser printers Wolfgang Jeltsch Printers 10 January 7th 05 08:12 AM
Matte printing poor, but plain paper OK? Canon S820 Paul Soderman Printers 0 August 1st 04 05:03 PM
4x6 printers Kenneth Oakman Printers 8 February 29th 04 10:37 PM
Canon i550/850 visible diffs of photo on plain paper Heli Hickle Printers 0 August 4th 03 10:16 AM
New Epson pigment ink printers for photo printing? Mark B. Printers 0 August 1st 03 10:58 AM