80 to 120mm fan adapter inside case port?

Old October 26th 04, 02:56 AM
Lordy

Default 80 to 120mm fan adapter inside case port?

After a bit of Googling it looks like they are snake oil (or at least "suck
it and see") as far as CPU cooling goes. Would they improve airflow /reduce
noise when used on 80mm case side vents? Or is pressure as important here
too?

--
Lordy
Old October 26th 04, 03:51 AM
David Maynard

Lordy wrote:

After a bit of Googling it looks like they are snake oil (or at least "suck
it and see") as far as CPU cooling goes. Would they improve airflow /reduce
noise when used on 80mm case side vents? Or is pressure as important here
too?

Might have some marginal value on an intake fan (acting as a plenum) but
pretty much snake oil for an exhaust fan.

Yes, pressure is a factor and the air is going 'the wrong way' for it.
Axial fans sling the air radially, not 'forward', but a fan reducer is
trying to force the air in the opposite direction as it narrows down.

Old October 26th 04, 12:07 PM
Lordy

David Maynard wrote in
:

Lordy wrote:

After a bit of Googling it looks like they are snake oil (or at least
"suck it and see") as far as CPU cooling goes. Would they improve
airflow /reduce noise when used on 80mm case side vents? Or is
pressure as important here too?

Might have some marginal value on an intake fan (acting as a plenum)
but pretty much snake oil for an exhaust fan.

Sorry in should have said "intake" rather than "vent".

I suspect a 80-120 adapter inside the case sidewall will mean the outside
air comes in a bit close to the motherboard? And should be a bit quieter at
the same throughput?

I guess I will have to suck it and see

Lordy
Old October 27th 04, 12:43 AM
David Maynard

Lordy wrote:
David Maynard wrote in
:

Lordy wrote:

After a bit of Googling it looks like they are snake oil (or at least
"suck it and see") as far as CPU cooling goes. Would they improve
airflow /reduce noise when used on 80mm case side vents? Or is
pressure as important here too?

Might have some marginal value on an intake fan (acting as a plenum)
but pretty much snake oil for an exhaust fan.

Sorry in should have said "intake" rather than "vent".

I suspect a 80-120 adapter inside the case sidewall will mean the outside
air comes in a bit close to the motherboard? And should be a bit quieter at
the same throughput?

I guess I will have to suck it and see

Lordy

If it's a case side wall you should have plenty of room to simply cut it
out to the 120mm fan mounting and use a wire grill.

Old October 27th 04, 01:26 AM
Lordy

David Maynard wrote in
:

I suspect a 80-120 adapter inside the case sidewall will mean the
outside air comes in a bit close to the motherboard? And should be a
bit quieter at the same throughput?

I guess I will have to suck it and see

Lordy

If it's a case side wall you should have plenty of room to simply cut
it out to the 120mm fan mounting and use a wire grill.

Unfortunately its one of those clear plastic jobs with a circular ring for
80mm fan. But if it wasnt, wouldnt using an adapter put the fan and the
outside air closer to the motherboard? Maybe the loss of volume inside the
case would negate any benefits? I'll soon be finding out ....

--
Lordy
Old October 29th 04, 03:12 PM
Lordy

Lordy wrote in
:

If it's a case side wall you should have plenty of room to simply cut
it out to the 120mm fan mounting and use a wire grill.

Unfortunately its one of those clear plastic jobs with a circular ring
for 80mm fan. But if it wasnt, wouldnt using an adapter put the fan
and the outside air closer to the motherboard? Maybe the loss of
volume inside the case would negate any benefits? I'll soon be finding
out ....

I bought 2 adapters and two fans from Ebuyer (Total £6.21 inc shipping!)
This Fans are a bit noisy at 12V but I've heard worse. They spin up at 5V
though, quiet, and have a fair breeze too. A little bit of vibration
though.

Anyway, I fixed one adapter and fan inside the case (with some dampeners)
and got a case temp drop of 4 degrees C.

I'm tempted to pull out the 120 Panaflo I installed at the front of the
case, an replace with the other fan at 5V. They push much more air and cost
about 10 times less.

--
Lordy
Old October 29th 04, 03:29 PM
David Maynard

Lordy wrote:

Lordy wrote in
:=2 0
=20
=20
If it's a case side wall you should have plenty of room to simply cut
it out to the 120mm fan mounting and use a wire grill.

Unfortunately its one of those clear plastic jobs with a circular ring
for 80mm fan. But if it wasnt, wouldnt using an adapter put the fan
and the outside air closer to the motherboard? Maybe the loss of
volume inside the case would negate any benefits? I'll soon be finding
out ....=20

=20
=20
I bought 2 adapters and two fans from Ebuyer (Total =A36.21 inc shippin=

g!)
This Fans are a bit noisy at 12V but I've heard worse. They spin up at =

5V=20
though, quiet, and have a fair breeze too. A little bit of vibration=20
though.
=20
Anyway, I fixed one adapter and fan inside the case (with some dampener=

s)=20
and got a case temp drop of 4 degrees C.
=20
I'm tempted to pull out the 120 Panaflo I installed at the front of the=

=20
case, an replace with the other fan at 5V. They push much more air and =

cost=20
about 10 times less.
=20

Fans aren't spec'd to spin up with only 5 volt, even if they happen to wh=
en=20
new. Use 7 volts.

Old October 29th 04, 03:41 PM
Lordy

David Maynard wrote in
:

case, an replace with the other fan at 5V. They push much more air
and

cost
about 10 times less.

Fans aren't spec'd to spin up with only 5 volt, even if they happen to
when new. Use 7 volts.

What will happen?? It seems to spin quite forcefully and it takes a fair
bit of effort to stop it turning.

--
Lordy
Old October 29th 04, 04:18 PM
David Maynard

Lordy wrote:

David Maynard wrote in
:

case, an replace with the other fan at 5V. They push much more air
and

cost

about 10 times less.

Fans aren't spec'd to spin up with only 5 volt, even if they happen to
when new. Use 7 volts.

What will happen??

What will happen if it doesn't spin up? Uh, it doesn't blow air.

It seems to spin quite forcefully and it takes a fair
bit of effort to stop it turning.

It won't be 'new' forever.

Old October 29th 04, 05:15 PM
Lordy

David Maynard wrote in
:

Fans aren't spec'd to spin up with only 5 volt, even if they happen to
when new. Use 7 volts.

What will happen??

What will happen if it doesn't spin up? Uh, it doesn't blow air.

I'll leave it running for now and see how it goes. It's a side vent and my
case happens to positioned along the wall with that vent is facing me, so I
can always see it. And if it failed then the PC will still run and there is
plenty of time for temp alarms to kick in.

[Thinks] .. I'll give it one more listen at 7v

--
Lordy