USB 3.0 hub question

Old August 1st 18, 06:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yes[_2_]

Default USB 3.0 hub question

I'm thinking about buying a USB 3.0 external hub for my pc. I'm
looking for one that has about an 18 to 20 inch cable length and will
use the older 3.0 USB connectors (Type A ???). Are there any hubs
being made that fit those conditions? Who is making them?

The ones I saw at newegg look to have cords about 6 inches long. That
is not long enough given where my pc is located. FWIW, my mobo does
not have the onboard UsB 3.0 connector to enable using USB hubs that
fit into 3.5" and 5.5 bays.

Thanks,

John
Old August 1st 18, 06:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Hoffpauir

On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 17:23:28 -0000 (UTC), "Yes"
wrote:

I'm thinking about buying a USB 3.0 external hub for my pc. I'm
looking for one that has about an 18 to 20 inch cable length and will
use the older 3.0 USB connectors (Type A ???). Are there any hubs
being made that fit those conditions? Who is making them?

The ones I saw at newegg look to have cords about 6 inches long. That
is not long enough given where my pc is located. FWIW, my mobo does
not have the onboard UsB 3.0 connector to enable using USB hubs that
fit into 3.5" and 5.5 bays.

Thanks,

John

FWIW, if you find a hub that you like "except" for the length of the
cable, there are USB3 "extension" cables (male/female) of whatever
length you need.
Old August 1st 18, 06:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Yes wrote:
I'm thinking about buying a USB 3.0 external hub for my pc. I'm
looking for one that has about an 18 to 20 inch cable length and will
use the older 3.0 USB connectors (Type A ???). Are there any hubs
being made that fit those conditions? Who is making them?

The ones I saw at newegg look to have cords about 6 inches long. That
is not long enough given where my pc is located. FWIW, my mobo does
not have the onboard UsB 3.0 connector to enable using USB hubs that
fit into 3.5" and 5.5 bays.

Thanks,

John

The hubs with the captive or attached cables seem to be
relatively short.

The ones that list the word "detachable" seem a bit longer.
Try "USB3 hub detachable" in a search.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA5MP7AR8593

There's no particular technical reason for these choices.
They could use a 3 meter cable, at which point the dielectric
properties would have to improve before the cable could
be made longer.

Paul
Old August 1st 18, 07:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

wrote:

I'm thinking about buying a USB 3.0 external hub for my pc. I'm
looking for one that has about an 18 to 20 inch cable length and will
use the older 3.0 USB connectors (Type A ???). Are there any hubs
being made that fit those conditions? Who is making them?

The ones I saw at newegg look to have cords about 6 inches long. That
is not long enough given where my pc is located. FWIW, my mobo does
not have the onboard UsB 3.0 connector to enable using USB hubs that
fit into 3.5" and 5.5 bays.

Thanks,

John

FWIW, if you find a hub that you like "except" for the length of the
cable, there are USB3 "extension" cables (male/female) of whatever
length you need.

The OP never mentioned which USB hubs (or USB switches) he looked at on
Newegg's web site. There are plenty that do NOT have an attached USB
cable. In fact, those with an attached cable are usually meant for
portable use with laptops, netbooks, etc. Typically a desktop USB
hub/switch has no attached cable and you attach whatever cable you want
to connect it to the computer.
Old August 1st 18, 07:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

Yes wrote:

I'm thinking about buying a USB 3.0 external hub for my pc. I'm
looking for one that has about an 18 to 20 inch cable length and will
use the older 3.0 USB connectors (Type A ???). Are there any hubs
being made that fit those conditions? Who is making them?

Get a hub that has no atached cable. Then attach a USB 3.0 cable of the
length you desire at a maximum of 3 meters for a passive USB3 cable; see

http://www.yourcablestore.com/USB-Ca...m_ep_42-1.html

If you will be attaching more than one high-powered USB 3.0 device to
the hub, make sure to get a hub that is externally powered and whose
walwart is rated for N x 900 mA, where N is the number of ports on the
USB hub, so each USB 3 device can have full power from the hub. If the
hub has 4 ports, you want the walwart rated at 3.6 amps, or higher, for
its *output* load (to the USB hub). If one of the ports is a high-amp
charging port, you'll have to add its amperage (2.4 A) into what the
walwart must support for the total load of all ports in use on the hub.
I've seen 4-port USB 3 hubs externally powered with a 2.4A charging port
but the walwart was rated only for 2A which isn't even enough for the
2.4A charging port.

Without external power to the hub, the hub will only get the 0.9A load
across ALL its ports from the USB 3 port into which you plug the hub.
That is, all USB devices (2.0 or 3.0) will have to share the single 0.9A
maximum load from the one USB port on the computer.

The ones I saw at newegg look to have cords about 6 inches long. That
is not long enough given where my pc is located. FWIW, my mobo does
not have the onboard UsB 3.0 connector to enable using USB hubs that
fit into 3.5" and 5.5 bays.

To what would you be connecting the USB 3.0 hub if your computer doesn't
have any USB 3.0 ports? Mobos I've seen that had USB 3.0 support had a
USB 3.0 header for support of front-panel USB ports. Perhaps you have a
mobo that is devoid of USB 3.0 support (it only supports USB 2.0) and
you installed a daughtercard to add USB 3.0 support. That daughtercard
doesn't have a USB3 header or an internal USB3 port?
Old August 1st 18, 08:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yes[_2_]

wrote:

I'm thinking about buying a USB 3.0 external hub for my pc. I'm
looking for one that has about an 18 to 20 inch cable length and
will use the older 3.0 USB connectors (Type A ???). Are there any
hubs being made that fit those conditions? Who is making them?

The ones I saw at newegg look to have cords about 6 inches long.
That is not long enough given where my pc is located. FWIW, my
mobo does not have the onboard UsB 3.0 connector to enable using
USB hubs that fit into 3.5" and 5.5 bays.

Thanks,

John

FWIW, if you find a hub that you like "except" for the length of the
cable, there are USB3 "extension" cables (male/female) of whatever
length you need.

The one I tried (Wavetek??) seemed to be unreliable with my USB 3.0
drives - got error message. Worked OK if plugged it in USB 2.0, but
that of course defeats the reason for me using it.

John
Old August 1st 18, 08:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yes[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Not necessary. As noted, I already went through them looking for
length of the cord. They were too short for my use. After I posted, I
did check Best Buy (not my first choice or even second choice of
vendors) and found they categorized their hubs by "stationary" and
"portable (??). BB did list a stationary hub by Insignia that
commenters report it has a 3' cord. Newegg does not carry that item.
They did have a USB 2.0 hub.

John
Old August 1st 18, 08:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yes[_2_]

Paul wrote:

Yes wrote:
[...]

I'll check it out. The location of my pc is such that I estimate I
need a cord length of 18" to 24" inches so that I can put the hub on a
stable, flat surface and attach devices as needed.

John
Old August 1st 18, 09:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yes[_2_]

VanguardLH wrote:

Yes wrote:

I'm thinking about buying a USB 3.0 external hub for my pc. I'm
looking for one that has about an 18 to 20 inch cable length and
will use the older 3.0 USB connectors (Type A ???). Are there any
hubs being made that fit those conditions? Who is making them?

Get a hub that has no atached cable. Then attach a USB 3.0 cable of
the length you desire at a maximum of 3 meters for a passive USB3
cable; see

http://www.yourcablestore.com/USB-Ca...ns-And-How-To-
Break-Them_ep_42-1.html

[...]

The mobo has two USB 3.0 ports on the back. The mobo does not have the
onboard port required to connect more USB 3.0 ports as in one of those
USB hubs that mount in the pc chassis bay (either 3.5" or 5.5").
Because of the location of my pc, using the rear USB 3.0 ports is very
inconvenient. I've tried a USB 3.0 extender cable and had mixed
results. It works with my ext HD if the HD is plugged into a USB 2.0
port. OTOH, the drive is not recognized when the drive and extender
cable are plugged into the USB 3.0 port.

The Insignia hub I referenced in a reply earlier has a separate power
supply, and commenters raised the 3.5 amp issue you raised.

At the moment, I don't know how many devices I might use on it, much
less simultaneously. In practice, I'm trying to make sure that devices
I add in the future are USB 3.0.

John
Old August 1st 18, 10:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

Yes wrote:

VanguardLH wrote:

Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:

Yes wrote:

[...]

So why not look at the ones that do NOT have an attached (permanent)
cable to the USB hub? A permanent cable rather limits the flexibility
in where the hub can be positioned.

They were too short for my use. After I posted, I did check Best Buy
(not my first choice or even second choice of vendors) and found they
categorized their hubs by "stationary" and "portable (??). BB did
list a stationary hub by Insignia that commenters report it has a 3'
cord. Newegg does not carry that item. They did have a USB 2.0 hub.

Just because a hub lists an included cable does not mean the cable is
permanently attached to the hub. For example:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...01&ignorebbr=1

That comes with a 1-meter USB3 cable but it gets plugged in on the
backside of the hub.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0079080%208000

There are many there that have non-permanent (detachable) input USB3
cables; i.e., they have a USB3 port to connect via whatever cable you
want to use to the computer. You can get micro-B to type A USB cables
of varying lengths. For example:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16812225081
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16812423106

I use double-stick velcro strips to affix the hub atop the computer case
rather than clutter my desk, so the cable only has to be long enough to
reach from the hub to the backpanel or daughtercard USB port.

Also remember that with a hub that it will share the bandwidth of just
the one parent USB port to which you connect the hub to the computer for
ALL of the hub's USB ports. Anything that generates lots of traffic,
like printing, file transfers to hard disks, especially with both on the
same hub, and a USB network adapter will generate high volumes of
traffic that will choke the bandwidth available for the remaining ports
on the hub. Ports on a hub do not communicate with each other; that is,
you cannot short-circuit the data path of, say, a file transfer between
two USB devices on the same hub.