Gigabyte P35-DS3P

Old January 19th 08, 01:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
bornfree

Default Gigabyte P35-DS3P

Where is the ram frequency on this mobo bios? I am looking in the
M.I.T. section and can't see it at all.
Old January 19th 08, 02:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
bornfree

On 19 Jan, 00:49, bornfree wrote:
Where is the ram frequency on this mobo bios? I am looking in the
M.I.T. section and can't see it at all.

Well I see it, but it is greyed out.
Old January 19th 08, 03:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
bornfree

On 19 Jan, 01:11, bornfree wrote:
On 19 Jan, 00:49, bornfree wrote:

Where is the ram frequency on this mobo bios? I am looking in the
M.I.T. section and can't see it at all.

Well I see it, but it is greyed out.

Ok nevermind. I'm a doofus. (apparently the way to overclock these
boards is by using the DRAM multi.)

I have an Intel E6300 (1.86Ghz stock) with my Gigabyte P35-DS3P. Can
anyone recommend a good starting overclock?
Old January 19th 08, 06:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

"bornfree" wrote in message ...
On 19 Jan, 01:11, bornfree wrote:
On 19 Jan, 00:49, bornfree wrote:

Where is the ram frequency on this mobo bios? I am looking in the
M.I.T. section and can't see it at all.

Well I see it, but it is greyed out.

Ok nevermind. I'm a doofus. (apparently the way to overclock these
boards is by using the DRAM multi.)

I have an Intel E6300 (1.86Ghz stock) with my Gigabyte P35-DS3P. Can
anyone recommend a good starting overclock?

1.87GHz ;-)

Seriously, even though it's a different motherboard, read through
this info on bios settings, voltages etc:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...o-e6300_8.html

The cpu itself is a good overclocker, but you may run into other
limiting factors far short of what it's capable of.

Old January 19th 08, 06:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Fishface

bornfree wrote:
Where is the ram frequency on this mobo bios? I am looking in the
M.I.T. section and can't see it at all.

Like the rest of the Gigabyte boards I've seen, it's probably hidden
to annoy and confound users. After first entering the BIOS setup,
press Ctrl + F1 and one of the menus will have more advanced
tweaking options.
http://hardwarelogic.com/news/132/AR...007-08-17.html

Old January 19th 08, 10:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
bornfree

Fishface wrote:
bornfree wrote:
Where is the ram frequency on this mobo bios? I am looking in the
M.I.T. section and can't see it at all.

Like the rest of the Gigabyte boards I've seen, it's probably hidden
to annoy and confound users. After first entering the BIOS setup,
press Ctrl + F1 and one of the menus will have more advanced
tweaking options.
http://hardwarelogic.com/news/132/AR...007-08-17.html

Ok I have worked the FSB(?) up to 300, and let the bios decide what
was best for the ram. It set it to 750.

Running nice. A bit faster. Hotter, but cooler is ok. Stable so far..
will run prime tonight.

CPUID still reports my clock speed to be 1.86 under "specification"
though .
Old January 19th 08, 11:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Fishface

bornfree wrote:

CPUID still reports my clock speed to be 1.86 under "specification"
though .

If SpeedStep is enabled, it will automatically slow down under load.
Some report higher overclocks when this is disabled, as it lowers the
voltage (vCore) also. Check it with a load.

Which CPU do you have? If multi-core, sure it is stressing all cores by
checking the performance tab of Windows Task Manager, assuming you
are running Windows, of course. I just use this:
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads...rime_2004.html

....which runs two instances of Prime95 torture test. I need to run two
instances of Orthos for the Quad core, though. Shaun posted that he
found a Prime95 version on www.MajorGeeks.com which is ver 25.5.
that would stress all cores. I was a little suspicious that it wasn't found
on the official website, so I didn't download it.
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

Old January 19th 08, 11:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
bornfree

On 19 Jan, 22:43, "Fishface" ? wrote:
bornfree wrote:
CPUID still reports my clock speed to be 1.86 under "specification"
though .

If SpeedStep is enabled, it will automatically slow down under load.
Some report higher overclocks when this is disabled, as it lowers the
voltage (vCore) also. Check it with a load.

Which CPU do you have?

E6300. 2 cores.

See this pic it shows my system as defined by CPU ID and prime95.
http://i1.tinypic.com/6ww5qht.png
Old January 20th 08, 01:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
bornfree

bornfree wrote:
CPUID still reports my clock speed to be 1.86 under "specification"
though .

If SpeedStep is enabled, it will automatically slow down under load.
Some report higher overclocks when this is disabled, as it lowers the
voltage (vCore) also. Check it with a load.

Which CPU do you have? If multi-core, sure it is stressing all cores by
checking the performance tab of Windows Task Manager,

Orthos running + Windows Performace tab + temps.

http://i11.tinypic.com/850vlts.png

CPU got a bit hot. (Idle temp around 54/55)
Old January 20th 08, 01:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
bornfree

bornfree wrote:
CPUID still reports my clock speed to be 1.86 under "specification"
though .

If SpeedStep is enabled, it will automatically slow down under load.
Some report higher overclocks when this is disabled, as it lowers the
voltage (vCore) also. Check it with a load.

Which CPU do you have?

E6300. 2 cores.

See this pic it shows my system as defined by CPU ID and prime95.
http://i1.tinypic.com/6ww5qht.png

It's Intel's attempt to confuse you. ;-) In CPU-Z (and anywhere else,
AFAIK), Intel CPUs are identified by the model number * and * the stock
frequency.

As shown in CPU-Z, Specification, you have a 6300 @ 1.86GHz.

I have a 6600, which shows up in CPU-Z, Specification, as a 6600 @
2.4GHz

Lower down at Core Speed, the actual clock speed of the CPU is listed.
Mine is 3006 MHz. The spec and CPU information will always show 6600 @
2.4GHz, even if the CPU actual clock speed is higher (or lower).

Now, to your system. You have the Core Voltage set to 1.408V (don't
know if that's under load, or not).

Lower left side, Core Speed is 1800 MHz, or 1.8 GHz, so you're
underclocking the CPU. Just below, you'll see why. The multiplier is
x6.0 and the FSB is 300 MHz, for an * effective * FSB (x4, or Quad
Pumped) of 1200 MHz. CPU speed is x6.0 X 300 MHz FSB, which equals 1800
MHz.

Unless you set the multiplier to x6 (the lowest, I believe), it was set
by Speed Step, which Fishface mentioned. In BIOS, go to the Advanced
tab, open CPU Configuration and disable Modify Ratio Support, then set
it to the max value (or vice versa).

Disable C1E
Disable Intel Speed Step at the very bottom.

This should give you a stable multiplier and Vcore so you can actually
test the limits of the CPU, without Speed Step changing things on you.

Ok. First of all, I need to say I am a beginner at this so I didn't
understand everything you said.

Secondly, prime says my CPU is 2100Mhz. Mobmeter also says 2.10Ghz....

I can't have underclocked it, because my CPU temp is way higher than
previous.

Ok I got it. Here it is under load:

http://i18.tinypic.com/82w528j.png