Is Class 1 laser safe enough for baby eyes?

Old July 31st 18, 11:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.basics,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.conspiracy
Mr. Man-wai Chang

Default Is Class 1 laser safe enough for baby eyes?

I meant, what if someone accidentally shine Class 1 laser into a baby's
eyes? Would it hurt retina and leave a permanent damage?

I know ... I know... it should NOT happen. Adults are supposed to be
very very careful.

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
不借貸! 不詐騙! 不*錢! 不援交! 不打交! 不打劫! 不自殺! 不求神! 請考慮綜援
(CSSA):
Old July 31st 18, 01:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

I meant, what if someone accidentally shine Class 1 laser into a baby's
eyes? Would it hurt retina and leave a permanent damage?

I know ... I know... it should NOT happen. Adults are supposed to be
very very careful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_safety#Class_1

"A Class 1 laser is safe under all conditions of normal use.

This means the maximum permissible exposure (MPE) cannot be
exceeded when viewing a laser with the naked eye or with the
aid of typical magnifying optics (e.g. telescope or microscope).

To verify compliance, the standard specifies the aperture and
distance corresponding to the naked eye, a typical telescope viewing
a collimated beam, and a typical microscope viewing a divergent beam.

It is important to realize that certain lasers classified as Class 1
may still pose a hazard when viewed with a telescope or microscope
of sufficiently large aperture. For example, a high-power laser with
a very large collimated beam or very highly divergent beam may be
classified as Class 1 if the power that passes through the apertures
defined in the standard is less than the AEL for Class 1;

however, an unsafe power level may be collected by a
magnifying optic with larger aperture."

Looks like that baby is safe. Nothing to worry about.

Paul
Old July 31st 18, 02:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.comp.freeware
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 7/31/2018 8:13 PM, Paul wrote:
*** however, an unsafe power level may be collected by a
*** magnifying optic with larger aperture."

Looks like that baby is safe. Nothing to worry about.

There are counters with handheld laser scanner. And those handheld
scanners are NOT placed carefully to avoid customers, at least I saw
that in Hong Kong.

Did they do it deliberately? Is it a secret laser experiment? Well...

Old July 31st 18, 02:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 7/31/2018 8:13 PM, Paul wrote:
however, an unsafe power level may be collected by a
magnifying optic with larger aperture."

Looks like that baby is safe. Nothing to worry about.

There are counters with handheld laser scanner. And those handheld
scanners are NOT placed carefully to avoid customers, at least I saw
that in Hong Kong.

Did they do it deliberately? Is it a secret laser experiment? Well...

All laser experiments are secret.

Didn't you see the sign outside the laser
lab, before entering the room ?

https://www.repairfaq.org/sam/cl3barg2.gif

The lab may also have a light bulb and
sign, indicating an experiment is in progress.

My chemistry professor had an argon-ion laser.
And he had various safety features on the lab
to keep people out.

And guess what injury my professor had. His
eyeballs were fine. But, he was deaf in one
ear, from previously using a *pulse* laser.
The sound during the discharge, can slowly
damage your hearing. You're supposed to wear
ear protection, but he neglected to wear his
ear protection headset. Now he has paid the price,
in that his hearing in one ear (the ear facing the
machinery) is now almost gone. The new laser
he has to replace it, is CW (no more hearing damage).
And in a comedic moment, he still wears his
hearing protection now :-) I thought that was
pretty funny. If you only have one ear left,
I guess you'll over-protect it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser

"In a continuous wave (CW) laser, the balance
of pump power against gain saturation and cavity
losses produces an equilibrium value of the
laser power inside the cavity; this equilibrium
determines the operating point of the laser.
"

And the output of that laser, would look a lot
like this.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...rtechnik06.jpg

"This argon-ion laser emits blue-green light at 488 and 514 nm"

And babies weren't allowed in the lab.
Neither were visitors. I couldn't see inside
the lab (even though the laser was off).
I only got to see the door of the lab.

https://www.lasermet.com/images/warning_signs.jpg

More than one member of the chemistry department
had hearing loss. Some experiments involved
a capacitor bank and arc discharge (which gives
off ultrasonic sound during the discharge).
And ear protection headsets are so cheap...

Our laser lab at work, had a door on the front
that looked like a bank vault. A big metal door,
intended to scare the curious away. The cleaners
weren't even allowed inside, to mop the floors.
And my magnetic stripe badge wouldn't let me in
there either (no, I didn't test this :-) ).
So if lasers were secret, they were hiding something
in there. Something that needed a big metal door.
What could it be ??? I guess we'll never know.

No, they don't do laser work in there any more...
I know you're interested and all. The days of that
lab are now over with (not commercially viable).
Still, the lab had a nice front door, as that's
all I could ever see. The door had no window in
it either. You could not "sneak a peek". You
couldn't hold a baby up to a window or anything,
to test for laser light.

Paul
Old July 31st 18, 03:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 7/31/2018 9:40 PM, Paul wrote:
No, they don't do laser work in there any more...
I know you're interested and all. The days of that
lab are now over with (not commercially viable).
Still, the lab had a nice front door, as that's
all I could ever see. The door had no window in
it either. You could not "sneak a peek". You
couldn't hold a baby up to a window or anything,
to test for laser light.

I think I had seen a YouTube video that taught you to convert a laser
head from a DVD drive into a laser cutter. I forgot the link...

Can the same be done to those POS (Point-Of-Sale) handheld laser
scanner? I dunno...

Old July 31st 18, 03:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.comp.freeware
Phil Hobbs[_4_]

On 07/31/2018 09:03 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 7/31/2018 8:13 PM, Paul wrote:
**** however, an unsafe power level may be collected by a
**** magnifying optic with larger aperture."

Looks like that baby is safe. Nothing to worry about.

There are counters with handheld laser scanner. And those handheld
scanners are NOT placed carefully to avoid customers, at least I saw
that in Hong Kong.

Did they do it deliberately? Is it a secret laser experiment? Well...

That beam is moving so fast that the dwell time on the retina is really,
really short--probably tens of microseconds. That helps a lot.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Old July 31st 18, 03:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Default Class 1 laser safe, output power and accidents

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 7/31/2018 8:13 PM, Paul wrote:

however, an unsafe power level may be collected by a
magnifying optic with larger aperture."

So all we need is an "accident" to hurt some babies' eyes? Which will
force them to see eye doctors and pay some treatment? Or maybe buying a
few pair glasses?

Oh well, I agree, it'll be good business.

The laser scanners have already been tested on "bad"
babies, so no new babies need be sacrificed.

(Baby testing. This is the drop test...)

http://www.unrulylittlethings.com/wp...flyingbaby.jpg

*******

And what treatment is there for a retinal burn ?
I don't think there is any treatment, except for the
doctor to say he can't help you.

Paul
Old July 31st 18, 03:48 PM posted to soc.culture.china,alt.conspiracy,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.conspiracy
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 7/31/2018 10:44 PM, Shadow wrote:

Accusing your government of maiming and killing people
AGAIN....

Dunno, Mai Pang Wong (Mr). Do you have a death wish ?

Wrong, we are talking about laser scanner safety.

Should there be a rule if not a law to prevent people from pointing
laser at humans?

Old August 1st 18, 05:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Hoffpauir

On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 21:03:55 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
wrote:

There are counters with handheld laser scanner. And those handheld
scanners are NOT placed carefully to avoid customers, at least I saw
that in Hong Kong.

Did they do it deliberately? Is it a secret laser experiment? Well...

The most obvious answer would be that they did it the most economical
way, without any regard or concerns for customers or cashiers. It's
pretty easy to "see" conspiracy everywhere, if you are diligent
enough.
Old August 3rd 18, 09:57 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.conspiracy
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 8/1/2018 3:19 AM, George Herold wrote:

I think class 1 is less than 1mW in the visible.
We sell a class 3B laser.. it's in the NIR... no blink reflex.
(I always encourage people to buy extra laser goggles.)

Do you trust and buy Class 1 laser products manufactured by Chinese and
Asians?