Sjewa character does not print

Old December 3rd 03, 09:32 PM
Rob v. Albada

Default Sjewa character does not print

For texts in Javanese I need a sjewa (Javanese: pepet) character. I
prefer an /e/ with a small /u/ on top of it.
This character is part of the Times New Roman font.
It is usually, but not always visible on screen (Word2000), but will
not print.
The printer replaces it with a small rectangle or square.

My operating system is Win98SE, text editor is Word2000, the printer
is a Brother HL-760 laser printer.

What can I dio best?

Kind regards,

Rob van Albada, Amsterdam.

Old December 4th 03, 12:51 AM
Michael A. Covington

Make sure you are using a Windows font (Times New Roman) rather than a font
built into the printer... I think you are already doing this.

Getting Windows XP is probably the definitive solution.

Old December 4th 03, 01:58 PM
Rob v. Albada

Op Wed, 3 Dec 2003 19:51:38 -0500, "Michael A. Covington"
schreef:

Make sure you are using a Windows font (Times New Roman) rather than a font
built into the printer... I think you are already doing this.

Getting Windows XP is probably the definitive solution.

I AM using The Times New Roman font.
Getting Windows-XP would indeed be the Endloesung for me, as it does
not run the DOS32 programs which I write (in Modula-2).

In the log run I will be forced to learn Windows programming and I am
NOT looking forward towards it, as it is much more complex than good
old DOS and does not add much as far as I can see - my programs are
all purely text oriented.

As a temporary solution I replace the sheva/pepet signs with an /e/
with an v-shaped diacritical mark on top (an upside-down circonflex as
it were) (Unicode 283 instead of Unicode 277). This character is
visible on screen and will also print.

Kind regards,

Rob.

Old December 4th 03, 02:42 PM
Michael A. Covington

"Rob v. Albada" wrote in message

I AM using The Times New Roman font.
Getting Windows-XP would indeed be the Endloesung for me, as it does
not run the DOS32 programs which I write (in Modula-2).

Who says DOS programs don't run under XP? All of mine do! The only DOS
applications I've found that don't run under XP are those that do unusual
input/output (e.g., addressing ports directly). And even then, the common
operations (e.g., on the serial port) still work. Send me one of the
executables and I'll try it under XP if you'd like.

In the log run I will be forced to learn Windows programming and I am
NOT looking forward towards it, as it is much more complex than good
old DOS and does not add much as far as I can see - my programs are
all purely text oriented.

That complexity is a thing of the past. I, too, refused to learn "Windows
programming" in raw C the way it was done in the early 1990s, where you had
to write 2 pages of code just to say "hello, world" in a window. Nowadays
you have a lot of options:

- Keep using DOS compilers. (I still use Turbo Pascal 3 for quick
calculations.)

- Write "console mode" (non-windowed) programs in C or whatever you like.
You do not have to do anything special for Windows; many simple C programs
port directly from UNIX unaltered. The program runs in a "console window"
and uses the screen and keyboard just as if it were running on a computer of
the 1970s. They still have the full memory and speed of the Windows XP
system, and they can call any Windows system routine.

- Use Delphi. This is windowed programming made easy, in a language
directly descended from Turbo Pascal. You can also write console mode
programs.

- (The best) Use C#. This is the latest descendant of Pascal and Modula,
although the syntax looks like C. It was designed by the man who gave us
Turbo Pascal and Delphi (Anders Hejlsberg). Both console mode and windowing
are very convenient. And the spirit of it is structured and object-oriented
programming (a la Pascal and Modula-2) rather than low-level tricks (a la C
and C++). Only the syntax looks like C; it's C with a Pascal brain.

As a temporary solution I replace the sheva/pepet signs with an /e/
with an v-shaped diacritical mark on top (an upside-down circonflex as
it were) (Unicode 283 instead of Unicode 277). This character is
visible on screen and will also print.

Of course, we should actually *solve* your problem, instead of just
*guessing* that Windows XP will solve it. One thing's for sure -- Windows
98 is not going to be updated any more, so if you stick with 98, things will
never change. Can anyone shed any light on why this particular Unicode
character won't print? Have you tried a different printer driver?

--

Michael A. Covington - Artificial Intelligence Ctr - University of Georgia

"In the core C# language it is simply not possible to have an uninitialized
variable, a 'dangling' pointer, or an expression that indexes an array
beyond its bounds. Whole categories of bugs that routinely plague C and C++
programs are thus eliminated." - A. Hejlsberg, The C# Programming Language

Old December 4th 03, 02:42 PM
Michael A. Covington

A thought:

Since this is a Unicode question, the place to get an answer is probably
over on comp.fonts.

Old December 4th 03, 10:31 PM
Rob v. Albada

Dear Michael,

I just mailed you one of my programs (grip.exe) as an attachment to an
email.
Entirely safe, I believe only won't run under XP.
The maker of the compiler has confirmed this.

C# sound interesting, I will look into this.

I have however, written too many program lines in Modula-2 to convert
everything to another programming language*. Also i am quite content
with Modula-2.
It is much easier to read than C or C++ and much better structured of
course.

I will test your suggestion of trying another printer driver.

Kind regards,

Rob.

*) Over 100,000 lines in 264 files (some duplicates however).

Old December 4th 03, 10:43 PM
Rob v. Albada

You were right! The printer driver was the problem.
I was using Brother's own driver, which enables printing of multiple
pages on a single sheet.
The standard Windows driver does not have this option but indeed
priints the characters I need.
I will contact Brother to ask them a better driver.

Thanks and kind regards,

Rob in Amsterdam.

Old December 4th 03, 10:47 PM
Rob v. Albada

PS

The Brother driver also allows one to choose between odd and even
pages - which is indispensibe when one prints a book - the standard
Windows driver doesn't.

So I really need the Brother driver but with more characters added.

Regards,

Rob.

Old December 4th 03, 11:58 PM
Michael A. Covington

"Rob v. Albada" wrote in message
Dear Michael,

I just mailed you one of my programs (grip.exe) as an attachment to an
email.
Entirely safe, I believe only won't run under XP.
The maker of the compiler has confirmed this.

C# sound interesting, I will look into this.

I have however, written too many program lines in Modula-2 to convert
everything to another programming language*. Also i am quite content
with Modula-2.
It is much easier to read than C or C++ and much better structured of
course.

I will test your suggestion of trying another printer driver.

Thanks for sending me the program. I had not realized you were using a DOS
extension called DOS32, with which I was not familiar. Sure enough, I could
not make the program run (it exits without outputting anything).

There are some free Modula-2 compilers for Windows at:
http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/modula2.shtml

I wish you success solving your problem. And I think you will like C#.