UPS is beeping

Old July 27th 03, 08:02 PM
Howard Kaikow

Default UPS is beeping

On Friday, my APC Back UPS Pro 1000 started beeping.

After about a minute of beeps, the red battery replace warning light
remained on.

After shutting down the PC, I turned off the warning light and rebooted the
PC.

No warning light when I rebooted. However, if I then had the UPS do a
self-test, I again got the beeps.

According to the APC manual, once the light appears, the self-test is
supposed to occur every 5 hours, but it has not done so today and the system
has been on for over 10 hours.

I expect that if I were to ask the UPS to do another self-test, the warning
would occur again.

I've already ordered a replacement battery, but I'm wondering if it is
really needed.

1. Could the warning merely mean that the battery has weakened so that it is
no longer able to supply a full load?
It's the original battery that I've had for 5+ years.

2. Or could the battery really be bad and I'm living on borrowed time.

In either case, I'm wondering why I have not heard any beeps when I leave
the system on for more than 5 hours.

I'm shutting down the system so the beeps, should they occur, don't wake me
up at night.

--
http://www.standards.com/; Howard Kaikow's web site.

Old July 27th 03, 08:32 PM
Glenn M

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 15:02:30 -0400, "Howard Kaikow"
wrote:

[...]

The beep usually means it is time to replace the battery...
Glenn M

Old July 27th 03, 11:12 PM
Tim

My first UPS is still running on its original battery with no beeps.... it is a
BackUPS 400 poweirng just a small computer and monitor. It was purchased in
1997.

Now then my "power" system is being backed up with a BackUPS Pro 650 (black
case), and I'm on the second battery in it. I had to replace it 2 years after I
bought it. Now then, it's now almost been 2 more years since, and it's not low
at all. I had to replace my failed 19" monitor about a year ago and got a LCD
Flatpanel monitor, 18.1", and it uses a fraction of the power the old CRT
monitor did. I suspect that's helped battery life too......

Tim

Old July 28th 03, 10:50 AM
Ken

wrote:

It's the original battery that I've had for 5+ years.

You have to replace the battery with a new fresh one.
You can not expect more than 3-5 years battery lifetime.

Old July 30th 03, 05:06 AM
Evil Homer

My new Belkin UPS says to replace the battery after three years. I'd guess
that five years is a pretty good deal.

Old July 30th 03, 05:14 AM
Howard Kaikow

Ayup.

Battery arrived Monday.
I let it charge overnight.
No more beeps, oops, maybe I just jinxed myself.
Whew, just tested, no more beeps!