710X pc won't power up

Old December 19th 06, 08:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
JE

Default 710X pc won't power up

I wrote a few weeks about this pc not powering up. In the past, if I had it
on several hours and then shut it down, it would not start up again, but it
would if I left it off all night. Now it won't even do that.

Here is what I have done so far: switched the on/off switch and it was
okay. I have switched out the power supply with an identical one and one I
know is good, and that did not help.

I removed all boards and disconnected all drives etc. and that did not help.
The only thing I can get it to do is if I remove the power cord for a short
time and then reconnect it, the fans will start and run for about 5-10
seconds, without even pushing the on/off button and then they quit.

The only way I can keep the fans powered up is to remove a connector that is
right near the processor. Nothing else boots up, but at least the power to
the cooling fans keep running. I can't remember, but I read somewhere that
the connector I removed apparently has something to do with the processor.
The connector is about 1/2 inches square and has 4 female connectors on it.
Doing this does not affect the on/off switch. In other words, it won't shut
the fans off.

What does it sound like, processor or motherboard??

Thanks!

--
Email no good, reply to group

Old December 19th 06, 08:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
JE

This is the information on the connector I was talking about. This is from
the Gateway website:

This is a closer view of the ATX 12-volt (V) power connector on the
motherboard. This 2 × 2 power connector accepts a power lead from the power
supply. This auxiliary power connector supplies additional 12-V service for
the processor and is required for proper operation of the motherboard. The
clip on the ATX power connector faces toward the front of the motherboard.

t...

Old December 20th 06, 02:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
JE

Thanks Ben: The more I tinkered with the connector, I'm also pretty sure it
is the motherboard.

Thanks for all your help....I'll be back asking questions about installing
the board. G I've never done it before and I have found a guy that has
new pulls of the same board I have.

Old December 20th 06, 03:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers

The hardest thing about a motherboard replacement these days is removing the
heat sink/cooling fan from the old board without damaging it. With Gateways,
it is usually a bit reasier because the heat sink clips are metal. If the heat
sink clips are plastic, as with the Intel-branded heat sink, you have to remove
it with extreme care, else you break it.

Remove the old motherboard with heat sink/cooling fan still attached, then, with
more space to operate, detach the heat sink/cooling fan... Ben Myers

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 02:51:20 GMT, "JE" wrote:

Thanks Ben: The more I tinkered with the connector, I'm also pretty sure it
is the motherboard.

Thanks for all your help....I'll be back asking questions about installing
the board. G I've never done it before and I have found a guy that has
new pulls of the same board I have.

.. .

Old December 20th 06, 04:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
JE

Thanks Ben..This has metal clips and they were pretty easy to remove. I
assume, in reading anyway, that the bios has to be re-installed, even if the
board is the same Gateway part number?

Thanks

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
[...]

. ..

Old December 20th 06, 05:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers

As a general rule, there is no need to update the BIOS when replacing a
motherboard, assuming that the replacement also has a Gateway-branded BIOS. You
would only install the latest flash BIOS update if the system complained about
the processor speed/type, a very unlikely scenario.

Some name-brand manufacturers have a BIOS setup option wherein the system serial
number can be entered into the BIOS and saved, usually for purposes of corporate
hardware inventory. I don't recall this option in a Gateway board, but it is
something to check. The system will still boot and run Windows (even XP)
without a hitch, even if the system serial number is not updated in the BIOS.

.... Ben Myers

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 10:14:37 -0600, "JE" wrote:

Thanks Ben..This has metal clips and they were pretty easy to remove. I
assume, in reading anyway, that the bios has to be re-installed, even if the
board is the same Gateway part number?

Thanks

.. .

Old December 26th 06, 10:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
JE

Hope you are lurking on the board Ben!

I replaced the motherboard and power supply and I am still not able to get
this thing up and running. If I remove the connector that feeds to the
processor, the one I mentioned in a earlier note, the thing will start for
about2 - 3 seconds and then shut down. If I leave it connected, nothing
happens. Sometimes when I have the connector disconnected, the thing trys
to start and just rapidly turns off and on until I pull the power cord off.
The on/off switch does nothing and it is a good one I pulled from another
unit. Could it be the cpu?

Thanks

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
[...]

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

m...

Old December 29th 06, 02:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
BillW50

Yes it very well could be the CPU. In fact, that would be my first
guess. My second guess would be something plugged in the motherboard
(like pulling down the power supply), like memory, HD, CD/DVD drive,
etc. But try this second first. As it doesn't cost anything. Well unless
you only have one memory card. I read you did this with the old
motherboard, but I would do it again with the new motherboard. Let us
know what you find.

Old December 30th 06, 11:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
JE

Well, I went back to square one. Reinstalled the old power supply and
motherboard. I still had the same old problem. So, I removed all drives,
boards etc.. I noticed that when the machine would start and stop rapidly,
there was a distinct click at the front near the floppy etc.. I finally
pulled the usb and firewire component and found the connector was just
barely connected and that lead me to beleive that this was the problem, poor
connection and shorting out the machine. I reconnected it and reinstalled
everything else and connected the power cord to the power supply and the
thing took off right away. Booted up with no problem. I shutdown and when
I tried to restart, nothing happened. Waited a few minutes and still
nothing. So, I pulled the power cord and plugged it in to the power supply
right away and pushed the power button and bingo we had it booted again.
But, it still would not start without disconnecting the power cord and
plugging it in again. So, I checked the male connectors on the power
supply, and one of them came off in my fingers. It apparently had been the
second problem I had! Put the new power supply back in and I have not had
any problems since. Two little things that I guess I never thought of
checking at the first.

I am red faced now and thanks to all who came to my aid!!!!

.com...