Dell mains leads

Old November 20th 06, 11:04 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Jim Howes

Default Dell mains leads

"You're not getting a PC, you're getting a DELL".

Truth in advertising. It's a dell, therefore it uses completely nonstandard parts.

This particular beastie is a Dell laptop, Model number currently unknown, but it
has a mains adaptor with it with Dell PN 450-10463, which is listed as
'compatible with Latitude 100L / D610 / D800 / D810 / D510'.

The mains socket on the mains adaptor, far from being a C7 (figure-of-8), or C5
Cloverleaf, or even just your bog-standard IEC socket, is what can only be
described as a 'Dell' product.

It looks a bit like this..

( o O O )

Two large pins, and one smaller pin slightly further away from the two large
pins than the distance separating those two pins). About 1.5" long.

The hapless user has lost their mains lead. Dell do not seem to be able to
supply a replacement, which seems particularly odd, because you'd think it would
be part of a 'country kit' for a PC, although 'country kit' is apparently not a
phrase used in the Dell Dictionary.

(Removes mallet-of-clue(TM) from drawer, and goes to explain to purchasing why,
again, not to buy dell laptops)
Old November 20th 06, 11:38 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Jim Howes

Ok, ignore me. The item in question is available from Dell, P/N 450-10492;
Unfortunately Dell themselves do not know this, then rendering it impossible to
order. However, I have tracked down two UK suppliers offering it at £7
including VAT and Delivery, which is far cheaper than Dell's EUR 18

Sigh.
Old November 20th 06, 02:11 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Andrew

"Jim Howes" wrote in message
"You're not getting a PC, you're getting a DELL".

/You'd think Dell were forcing you to buy their laptops?!?!

Old November 20th 06, 03:24 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Jim Howes

Andrew wrote:
/You'd think Dell were forcing you to buy their laptops?!?!

Not my choice. I've just had the fun of trying to shoehorn a RedHat Enterprise
Linux 4 ES install onto a Dell system. Weird video setup, low profile PCI cards
- Ugh. Screwball SATA 'RAID' mode by default which RHEL4ES cannot see, when the
board only has one SATA connector and no parallel ATA either (the CD is a laptop
drive, with a high density printed ribbon cable)

_BLAM_ *STOP* _BLAM_ *BUYING* _BLAM_ ^%((^$ing _BLAM_ *DELLS*

For another system we are building, I have specified an HP DL360 rackmount
server. These things have hardware SCSI RAID controllers, which _just_work_.
None of this faffing around with LVM, just partition, format, install, config,
register, up2date, and send the thing out.

No doubt, some beancounter will intercept my specification, and replace the HP
system with something from Fisher-Price.

Just once, I'd like to finish a job with all of my hair intact.
Old November 20th 06, 07:06 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
linker3000

Jim Howes wrote:
Andrew wrote:
[...]

I have a Dell PowerEdge 4400 as a Linux development server - picked it
up on eBay for £80 and added a second Xeon 933 and upped the memory to
1GB for peanuts - very nice it is too as long as you're not in the same
room; quite a lot of fans in there!
Old November 21st 06, 08:42 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Alan Stanley

Jim Howes wrote:
The mains socket on the mains adaptor, far from being a C7 (figure-of-8), or C5
Cloverleaf, or even just your bog-standard IEC socket, is what can only be
described as a 'Dell' product.

It looks a bit like this..

( o O O )

Two large pins, and one smaller pin slightly further away from the two large
pins than the distance separating those two pins). About 1.5" long.

Jim,

Try Here

http://www.stuff-uk.net/sys.asp?edit...364&quantity=1

Regards

Old November 21st 06, 09:01 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Jim Howes

linker3000 wrote:
I have a Dell PowerEdge 4400 as a Linux development server - picked it
up on eBay for £80 and added a second Xeon 933 and upped the memory to
1GB for peanuts - very nice it is too as long as you're not in the same
room; quite a lot of fans in there!

I'll agree that the rack-mount gear is a different ball game.
But the dimension serious must die.
Old November 21st 06, 09:35 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Jim Howes

Alan Stanley wrote:
Try Here

http://www.stuff-uk.net/sys.asp?edit...364&quantity=1

Great.
Unfortunately, purchasing have just spent £7 on a lead from somewhere else, but
atleast they are apparently available. I'll make a note of that particular
retailer for later use though. Thanks.

I'm still annoyed at dell for being different for the sake of being different.

Jim