Starting up as a builder/distributor?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 9th 03, 12:59 AM
George

"Mad Ad" wrote in message

To find trade sources, get a copy of CTO and/or CTS, but don't expect
discount bits unless you buy a bit of quantity, even then, the discounts

are
small. If you're serious about starting up, form a ltd company and

register
for VAT, you'll find the trade suppliers easier to deal with then.

Yes I realise being a registered co. and vat registered to boot would help
market presence from all angles, however to achieve that kinda turnover
(what is it, 46,000 pa rolling or something atm?) Id would have already
progressed to a stage 2 or 3 situation with the business plan rather than

green first year startup. (The initial hurdles are always the hardest to
jump). Finally, Thanks for the pointer to CTS/CTO (not sure what you mean

copy? cto's a distributor no? Ive just joined anyway.

You don't need to reach the turnover threshold to register for VAT. I found
I had to register almost immediately as it was often one of the first things
asked when contacting suppliers. At the other end of the scale they also
liked you to have a fax machine. Prestigious item a fax machine! :-) I
found CTO trade magazine was little help and better prices were available
elsewhere often from retailers. In the end I packed it in.