Backup Program to backup ONLY my data

Old January 23rd 05, 06:25 PM
Louise

Default Backup Program to backup ONLY my data

I have been using Stomp to back up some selected data files (all kinds
of extensions), for many years. But recently I've become concerned that
the program is not being maintained - there seems to be one by Stomp and
another by Sonic. I fear it is not wise to archive data with a
proprietary file format and a program that's not being maintained.

I use Ghost to backup to a USB drive and that works fine. But this is
an imaging program and I want to select the files.

I need a program which will backup files I select and create as a "job",
to one or two DVDs, on a regular basis. I don't want to have to select
each file everytime I want to backup, but rather to create a job which
knows to only do certain files.

Nero requires that you do a full backup. Stomp is unsupported.
Retrospect, Ghost and True Image are really imaging programs at heart.

Winzip using password protection would really be adequate but it is my
impression you can't save a job so that you can just tell it to go
backup the files in that "job".

Suggestions?

TIA

Louise

Old January 23rd 05, 06:31 PM

Louise wrote:
I have been using Stomp to back up some selected data files (all

kinds
of extensions), for many years. But recently I've become concerned

that
the program is not being maintained - there seems to be one by Stomp

and
another by Sonic. I fear it is not wise to archive data with a
proprietary file format and a program that's not being maintained.

Its wise to think into the future.Congrats!

Winzip using password protection would really be adequate but it is

my
impression you can't save a job so that you can just tell it to go
backup the files in that "job".

Suggestions?

TIA

Louise

Build in Windows Backup might be a Try.It will still be support into
the wide future.Compression is built in and you could save "Tasks" for
daily backups.

Old January 23rd 05, 11:00 PM
dg

The windows built in backup (NTbackup) is actually a great program that is
often overlooked. I often see people struggling with backup schemes that
could easily be solved using NTbackup.

Basically, you create a selections file and save it. Then you schedule (or
manually) a backup job at the proper day and time. It does not support
burning directly to DVD or CD, but can easily backup to a USB drive. A
really big positive feature of using NTbackup is that you can restore the
backup on any windows machine that has NTbackup installed on it.

--Dan

ups.com...

Old January 24th 05, 03:23 AM
J. Clarke

dg wrote:

The windows built in backup (NTbackup) is actually a great program that is
often overlooked. I often see people struggling with backup schemes that
could easily be solved using NTbackup.

Basically, you create a selections file and save it. Then you schedule
(or
manually) a backup job at the proper day and time. It does not support
burning directly to DVD or CD, but can easily backup to a USB drive. A
really big positive feature of using NTbackup is that you can restore the
backup on any windows machine that has NTbackup installed on it.

(a) Windows backup is Stomp/Sonic/Veritas Backup Exec/BackupMyPC "lite".
One should not shell out for BackupMyPC unless and until one has
encountered something that Windows Backup won't do.
(b) If a proprietary format is of concern then consider using xxcopy
http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htm.

--Dan

ups.com...

--