Samsung P460 Laptop Ram

Old April 26th 20, 11:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Bill Bradshaw

Default Samsung P460 Laptop Ram

Experimenting with Windows 10 Pro 64bit. I do have x64 running on a
different harddisk that I am swiching out. Below ares the specifications:

System Name: SAMSUNG-BILL
[System Summary]

Item Value
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name SAMSUNG-BILL
System Manufacturer SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
System Model P460
System Type X86-based PC (Have the 64bit version installed on another
harddisk that I am switching out for testing.)
System SKU
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz, 2267 Mhz, 2
Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies Ltd. 07LQ.M009.20091122.JIP,
11/22/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
BaseBoard Product P460
BaseBoard Version Not Applicable
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.18362.752"
User Name SAMSUNG-BILL\Samsung Bill
Time Zone Alaskan Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) DDR3 3.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 2.96 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.52 GB
Total Virtual Memory 3.04 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.44 GB

Memory Chips Info

1GB 2Rx16 PC-3-8500S-07-00-A0
Korea M471B2874DZ1-CF8 0845

2GB 2Rx8 PC-3-8500S-07-00-F0
Korea M471B5673DZ1-CF8 0845

I want to replace the two chips with 4GB chips.

Could use any suggestions what I might need that will work with this
computer.
--
Bill

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska

Old April 27th 20, 02:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Bill Bradshaw wrote:
[...]

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-u...r/samsung/p460

Memory
Maximum Memory: 4GB
*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.
Slots: 2 (2 banks of 1)
Standard Memory: 3GB removable

Crucial 2GB DDR3L-1600 SODIMM CT25664BF160 $14

??? === I think Crucial removed their 4GB entry here, because
they've only got high-density (8 chip total) modules to offer.

Intel GM45 + Intel ICH9M/ICH9M-Enhanced

Which is exactly the discussion we had in the previous Lenovo T500 thread.

Samsung has decided the P460 runs with 2x2GB max (low density or high density).

The GM45 datasheet says 2x4GB low density max for 8GB total.

The picture here shows a 16 chip low-density module.
This is what the previous poster empirically verified, works.

F3-8500CL7S-4GB SQ $29 each

https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-4gb-20...82E16820231265

If you use CPUZ, you can probably verify it's a GM45.
Page 61 shows the largest rank/bank with x8 chips "System Memory Controller".

https://web.archive.org/web/20160412...-datasheet.pdf

The only other detail, is unbolting the SODIMM slot covers,
and verify two slots are available as expected.

Paul
Old April 27th 20, 02:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Sun, 26 Apr 2020 14:34:20 -0800, "Bill Bradshaw"
wrote:

[...]

I'm not a techie - like the other fine folks here - but I just
finished adding RAM to my Lenovo T500 - similar vintage to
your Samsung - P8400 2.26 but Win 8 Pro originally Vista.
See the recent thread in this newsgroup for my experience -
but to summarize -
- G.Skill F3-12800CL9S-4GB SQ series DDR3-1600
did not work - I believe this was high density ? 4 chips.
- G.Skill F3-8500CL7S-4GB SQ DDR3-1066
did work - I believe this is low density ? 8 chips.
I upgraded from 3 GB to 6 GB re-using the 2 GB DIMM.
I'm quite sure my max. is 2 x 4 = 8 GB.
Not really any significant performance improvement,
that I can see yet - but I'm not doing any intensive stuff.
The SSD that I installed a couple months ago was more
noticeable - start up and shut down significantly improved.
The first DIMM was $ 30. Canadian - luckily the store
let me exchange it for the $ 35. one.
The SSD was Amazon . ca ~ $ 65. free shipping.
Crucial MX500 250 Gig. Their software download worked
great to duplicate the old HD prior to the swap-out.
Good luck.
John T.

Old April 27th 20, 06:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Bill Bradshaw

wrote:

[...]

The drive I will use in the end is a SAMSUNG SSD EVO 860. Thiis is the 32
bit drive I currently use.

It sounds like you purchased your memory local? Is G.Skill the brand?

Bill

Old April 27th 20, 06:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 09:17:56 -0800, "Bill Bradshaw"

wrote:

[...]

Waterloo Ontario.
https://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=24_326

G.Skill brand
https://www.gskill.com/products/1/2/Laptop-Memory

Beware of trusting any online compatability lists.
It's good that you are doing your own legwork - beforehand.
John T.

Old April 27th 20, 07:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Bill Bradshaw

Paul wrote:
Bill Bradshaw wrote:
[...]

Using CPUZ

The 1GB has 8 chips.
The 2GB has 16 chips.

Memory SPD

DIMM # 1
SMBus address 0x50
Memory type DDR3
Module format SO-DIMM
Module Manufacturer(ID) Samsung (CE00000000000000000000)
Size 2048 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC3-8500F (533 MHz)
Part number M471B5673DZ1-CF8
Serial number 480A1B28
Manufacturing date Week 45/Year 08
Number of banks 8
Nominal Voltage 1.50 Volts
EPP no
XMP no
AMP no
JEDEC timings table CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC @ frequency
JEDEC #1 6.0-6-6-18-24 @ 457 MHz
JEDEC #2 7.0-7-7-20-27 @ 533 MHz
JEDEC #3 8.0-7-7-20-27 @ 533 MHz

DMI Physical Memory Array (I am not sure why this says DDR2 when the
computer is suppose to use DDR3 only.)
location Motherboard
usage System Memory
correction None
max capacity 4 GB
max# of devices 2

DMI Memory Device
designation M1
format SODIMM
type DDR2
total width 64 bits
data width 64 bits
size 2 GB

DMI Memory Device
designation M2
format SODIMM
type DDR2

Graphics
Number of adapters 1
Graphic APIs
API D3D
API Intel I/O
Display Adapters
Display adapter 0
ID 0x4000000
Name Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Board Manufacturer 0x144D (0xC045)
PCI device bus 0 (0x0), device 2 (0x2), function 0 (0x0)
Vendor ID 0x8086 (0x144D)
Model ID 0x2A42 (0xC045)
Revision ID 0x7
Performance Level 0

This is more info. Hopefully I will not overload anymore.

Bill

Old April 28th 20, 01:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

wrote:

[...]

G.Skill is the brand I have in the test machine (8x8GB DDR3).
They used Hynix chips on those. Yours are not likely
to be Hynix, because the 8500 DIMMs are a different
generation (like... stepping into a time machine).

No matter what the brand, always read customer reviews when
some are offered (this is because, when chip supplies run
out, they may need to find a second source of similar chip,
with disasterous consequences).

Based on my experience so far with G.Skill, I've had
no problems with them. For their enthusiast grade
stuff, G.Skill would be about the same as some
Corsair or OCZTechnology (when they still existed).

The machine I'm typing on has had OCZTechnology (2x1GB),
Kingston (Non-HyperX 4x2GB) and Corsair (4x2GB). I don't
think G.Skill made stuff for my older machine. And finding
that Corsair when I did, was about as unlikely as you
guys finding that 8500 sitting around...

Paul
Old April 28th 20, 05:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Bill Bradshaw

Paul wrote:
wrote:

[...]

I ordered the recommended G.Skill from NewEgg. Will report when it arrives
and how it goes.

Bill

Old April 28th 20, 06:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

[...]

As long as you didn't rely on the newegg Memory Finder tool.
I just checked for my T500 2242 and it listed the G.Skill
DIMM that did not work.
... along with 247 other 4 GB DIMMs.
Buyer beware.
John T.

Old April 29th 20, 05:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Bill Bradshaw

wrote:
[...]

I relied on your post in T500. So I am going to blame you if it they do not
work :-). My computer has Intel's Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset.
I am having a problem with my HDMI port working properly. The screen will
start flashing. I have tried different WDDM files and can not get it to
work reliably. The VGA port works fine. Did you have a problem with this?

Chips I Purchased: G.SKILL 4GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500)
Laptop Memory Model F3-8500CL7S-4GBSQ 2