Imminent Hard Drive failure on an ACER Aspire 3000?

Old January 29th 06, 09:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer

Default Imminent Hard Drive failure on an ACER Aspire 3000?

Hi,

I bought this notebook brand new 6 months ago. It's an ACER Aspire
3003WLCi. Recently I've had a lot of problems with applications "not
responding" and having to be closed. Upon reboot recently i'm getting the
message that one of my hard disks needs to be checked for conisistency. It
does a checkup of the disk (takes a long time) and then it reports that
"Windows replaced bad clusters in file .... " Does this mean that my hard
drive is failing (has failed?) and needs to be rebuilt/replaced? Should I
contact ACER about this problem (I think I have 1 year warranty on the
machine.)

Thanks.

Old January 29th 06, 05:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer

"Jason Ducharme" wrote in
:

Hi,

I bought this notebook brand new 6 months ago. It's an ACER Aspire
3003WLCi. Recently I've had a lot of problems with applications "not
responding" and having to be closed. Upon reboot recently i'm
getting the message that one of my hard disks needs to be checked for
conisistency. It does a checkup of the disk (takes a long time) and
then it reports that "Windows replaced bad clusters in file .... "
Does this mean that my hard drive is failing (has failed?) and needs
to be rebuilt/replaced? Should I contact ACER about this problem (I
think I have 1 year warranty on the machine.)

hard-drive failures are usually accompanied by noise/sounds of some sort.
the reason you are getting the 'must be checked for consistency' and 'bad
clusters' messages is because your computer is (presumably) not going
through the proper shut-down process (i'm guessing you just power it off
when things stop responding).

programs not responding etc. are more of a software problem than anything
else. are you sure you don't have any spyware? viruses? what did you
install before this started happening?
Old January 30th 06, 09:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer

"Good Man" wrote in message
"Jason Ducharme" wrote in
:

[...]

Well, I'm not getting any clicking or other noises.

I never just power off the computer. I always fight with it to close the
unresposive applications and shut down using the regular method
(start/shutdown/restart.)

I don't recall this happening immediately after doing any changes or
installations on the system, but at around the same time, I have added an
Epson C45 inkjet printer and installed the software and drivers, as well as
installing MS Visual Studio .NET. Again, i don't recall the problems
occurring immediately after either of those events, but it seems to have all
started happening at around the same time (memory is a bit fuzzy.)

Old February 6th 06, 06:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer

Jason Ducharme wrote:

Hi,

I bought this notebook brand new 6 months ago. It's an ACER Aspire
3003WLCi. Recently I've had a lot of problems with applications "not
responding" and having to be closed. Upon reboot recently i'm getting the
message that one of my hard disks needs to be checked for conisistency. It
does a checkup of the disk (takes a long time) and then it reports that
"Windows replaced bad clusters in file .... " Does this mean that my hard
drive is failing (has failed?) and needs to be rebuilt/replaced? Should I
contact ACER about this problem (I think I have 1 year warranty on the
machine.)

Thanks.

If the disk is still FAT32 try converting it to NTFS. If it don't fix
the problem at least it will be faster doing the diskcheck.

/Tazz
Old February 27th 06, 07:34 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer

hi!

Week ago I bought Acer Aspire 1690Wmli...new I have the same errors as
in your notebooks...every time it gets checking HDD?!?!!!

Old March 15th 06, 03:34 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer

ive had an aspire 3002lci for over a year with daily heavy use ive
never had a problem with it at all aside from it gets really hot on
the bottom

Old April 7th 06, 09:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer

my advice is to run a system recovery first, as Acer will tell you to
this before anything else...If this fails then I would contact Acer
and get it checked over before your warranty runs out.
It does sound as though the hard drive is failing, but you should rule
out corruptes software first

Hard Drive Temperature Nehmo General 36 October 27th 05 12:35 AM
Win XP doesn't like a second hard drive! N9WOS General 9 January 6th 05 02:10 AM
hard drive failure imminent?? Kelli Storage (alternative) 10 July 16th 04 11:00 PM
Network File Server Bob Storage (alternative) 37 May 4th 04 09:07 PM
Removable Drive Bays Rod Speed Storage (alternative) 35 January 3rd 04 09:31 PM