SABERTOOTH X58: can I use this RAM?

Old June 8th 16, 11:27 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Default SABERTOOTH X58: can I use this RAM?

Hi, I have a PC with ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 (Socket Intel® LGA1366 e
Chipset X58 /ICH10R) motherboard. Now I have Transcend DDR3 1333 DIMM
CL9 4GB RAM with chips on two faces (3 blocks = 12GB).
I'd like to increase a bit the RAM and I'd like to buy a faster and
newer RAM.
In your opinion can I use this RAM:
CT51264BA160BJ
Thanks
Old June 8th 16, 03:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

wrote:
Hi, I have a PC with ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 (Socket Intel® LGA1366 e
Chipset X58 /ICH10R) motherboard. Now I have Transcend DDR3 1333 DIMM
CL9 4GB RAM with chips on two faces (3 blocks = 12GB).
I'd like to increase a bit the RAM and I'd like to buy a faster and
newer RAM.
In your opinion can I use this RAM:
CT51264BA160BJ
Thanks

First question for you would be, does Task Manager show
you are short of memory ? Is the system swapping to the
hard drive, because it is out of memory ? Perhaps
you don't actually need more memory.

As for the speed aspect, you may not even notice the
performance improvement of adding faster RAM. The
advantage is small (5-10% level).

*******

It helps to know the CPU model number you have. In
case there are any issues with a particular model number.

There is an article here, on the multipliers involved
in the CPU, and how they affect the settings. The
speed limit on your board, is probably more related
to test results, than multipliers.

https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...Language=en-us

*******

Apparently, you can run 8GB DIMMs on the LGA1366 socket.
But I don't know what CPU model these people were using.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1241571/4...n-x58-board/10

If I were going to do that, I would purchase 3x8GB and keep
the other DIMM slots free. And make sure the motherboard
has XMP support.

You would buy two of these kits, for a total of 4 DIMMs.
And keep one DIMM as a spare. Install 3 only. Remove the
original 12GB RAM, install 3x8GB for 24GB RAM. Leave
the other slots blank. XMP profiles apply to a single
DIMM per channel. The reason I'm going to all this
trouble, is to make this a "no-tuneup" RAM install.
You switch on XMP in the BIOS, and the theory is,
the job is complete. I selected DDR3-1866, as that
is the top multiplier advertised with your motherboard.
Total project cost $130.

G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3
DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C9D-16GSR $65

*******

Now, if you are an expert at RAM tuning and adjustment,
you don't have to use XMP. You buy one of these kits,
install three of the DIMMs. At 2400 this is CAS10,
but at 1866 (all your setup can run at), it will
run with a lower CAS than that. The purpose of buying
a high frequency capability, is for adjusting downwards
until it works with your board.

G.SKILL TridentX Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3
DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C10Q-32GTX $190

I can show you a CPUZ picture for the RAM. The XMP profile
is set to 2400, and I'm not really sure whether XMP will
disable itself if the motherboard doesn't support the
speed. But you will be able to manually tune the RAM,
set the timings and so on, and do it the old fashioned
way. That's the way I had to do it. With one DIMM per
channel, that RAM ran on my system at 2400 the first
instant I used it. But when I put two DIMMs per channel,
XMP cannot set the profile for you in that case,
I tuned it manually, and ended up at 1866. So as
the memory channel is loaded, expect lower speeds.
It was running at 2133 for a bit, with all slots
full, but it was still throwing errors, so I had
to drop to 1866 with a computer full of RAM. Here
is the CPUZ info.

(Image hosting site...)

http://s33.postimg.org/m1co3csq7/CPUZ_RAM.gif

Playing with memory, always involves some risks
of getting the system to be stable again. I
expect you know this and are willing to accept
the risks involved. I thought I would get
top speed with all slots occupied, but it
didn't work out that way. At the lower speed
of DDR3-1866 though, it is quite stable. I
can sleep it and store lots of stuff in the
RAM (as a RAMDisk) and never see any corruptions.

The DDR3-2400 memory for sale, is rather special
in that the chips used seem to do that speed
without special selection. Virtually 100% of the
chips are good at the 2400 speed. So the manufacturer
does not have to work very hard, to prove they
are 2400-capable chips. Just the limitations
of your CPU memory controller, remain as
the limitation of the system.

Paul

Old January 25th 20, 10:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Hi! Did it work?