Which Firewire/USB-2 Combo Card Is Better?

Old December 15th 03, 02:50 PM
Jay Chan

Default Which Firewire/USB-2 Combo Card Is Better?

I would like to add a firewire/USB-2 combo card into my Dell PC for
capturing video and using external storage devices. BTW, I only have
one slot available; this is the reason why I need a combo card instead
of two separate cards. I am eyeing on two combo cards. I would like to
get your opinions on them:

- Adaptec DuoConnect ($80):

Pros:

o Adaptec is a well-known brand, and I have used their other
products with no problem.

o It "seems" to come with MGI VideoWave 4 SE video editing
software (their web site doesn't say what software is included). It is
supposed to be quite configurable. I guess this means it is good.

o It comes with a 6-ft firewire cable for connecting to a video
camera. 6-ft should be good enough for me.

Cons:

o It used to come with a internal connector for power plug. The
latest version doesn't have it any more. According to PC Mag, this
internal power connector is supposed to provide enough juice to
external storage devices. This "seems" to be a significant negative
factor. How bad is missing this feature anyway?

o It used to have internal connectors for firewire and USB. The
latest version doesn't have internal connectors any more. This is a
minor point because I probably won't use internal connectors anyway
(no room for that).

- SIIG FireWire/USB-2 Combo ($80):

Pros:

o It comes with internal power connector.

o It comes with internal connectors for firewire and USB-2.

o It comes with Ulead VideoStudio 5 video editing software. It is
supposed to be a good tool for beginner (like me).

Cons:

o I have not used any SIIG product before.

o It comes with a "short" firewire cable for connecting to a
video camera. I don't know how long the cable actually is. I only know
that it is described as "short" in one of the web site that I come
across. This means I may need to pay $25 to buy a 6-ft cable in case
the bundled cable is really short. This is not a big issue.

My Questions:
I think I will make the decision based on the answer of the
following questions:

1. What's so important about having the internal power connector? If
this is important, how's come Adaptec decided to remove it from the
latest version of their combo card? I would assume that Adaptec would
leave "good enough" alone and leave the internal power connector on
the card if it is a good feature, right? Will I more likely to get
into trouble if I get the Adaptec card and use it to connect to an
external hard disk?

2. Are products from SIIG "good enough"?

3. Any other thing that I should be aware of?

4. Any other brand that is just as good?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Jay Chan
Old January 15th 04, 04:45 PM
Steven O.

I purchased the SIIG US2254 Combo card about a year ago, and have had
some problems with it. In particular, when I purchased an external
USB Zip 750 drive recently, the computer kept rebooting at odd moments
when the drive was in use. There have been other occasional problems
as well.

I just purchased and installed the Buslink PCI-U2F combo card, and so
far it seems to be working okay. The interesting thing is that, if
you look at both cards closely, the Buslink uses exactly the same
chipsets at the SIIG.

That does not mean there are no differences. You can tell by the
Revision numbers stamped on the chips that the Buslink has more recent
versions of the same chips (which it should, since the purchase is
made a year later). And of course the Buslink no doubt also wires all
the chips together a bit differently, and has their own drivers, etc.
It could also be that the more recent release of the SIIG card *also*
has the more recent versions of the chipset, and so is more stable. I
wouldn't know, though.

Feel free to e-mail in a week or so, and I can tell you if the Buslink
is working okay.

Steve O.

On 15 Dec 2003 06:50:19 -0800, (Jay Chan) wrote:

[...]

Standard Antiflame Disclaimer: Please don't flame me. I may actually *be* an idiot, but even idiots have feelings.
Old January 16th 04, 05:23 PM
Jay Chan

I have already installed and used a SIIG USB2/Firewire combo card. So
far, I haven't experienced any problem. The only problem that I have
encountered turns out is not related to the combo card and has to do
with the digital camcorder that is connecting to the combo card
(through Firewire).

The only regret is that I should have bought a LAN/USB2/Firewire combo
card instead of just a USB2/Firewire. You see, I have used up _all_
the PCI slots in my PC. If I want to add a ATA/133 IDE controller
card, I will have to get rid of something. If I had a
LAN/USB2/Firewire combo card, I would be able to remove the existing
LAN card to free up one slot for the ATA/133 IDE controller. Of
course, I would give up the additional ports that I get from the
USB2/Firewire card; but I am using only one port (Firewire) anyway. Oh
well...

Please share with us your experience with your new combo card. I am
sure someone who reads this newsgroup will be benefitted from it.

Thanks.

Jay Chan