2 CD's won't boot

Old January 21st 04, 07:01 PM
Noboddie

Default 2 CD's won't boot

I cannot get my comp. to boot when I install the second CD. Worked fine when
I put it together, frigged around with it, now I can see both CD's in the
BIOS but when XP starts to load, It just hangs at the opening screen for XP.
Both CD's will work when installed alone. I have tried master/ slave, cable
select, master/CS. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old January 22nd 04, 06:29 AM
*Vanguard*

"Noboddie" said in :
I cannot get my comp. to boot when I install the second CD. Worked
fine when I put it together, frigged around with it, now I can see
both CD's in the BIOS but when XP starts to load, It just hangs at
the opening screen for XP. Both CD's will work when installed alone.
I have tried master/ slave, cable select, master/CS. Any ideas would
be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Hmm, I got the OEM version of Windows XP. It only has one CD from which all
of Windows XP gets installed (or repaired). If you have the retail version,
does it come with a 2nd CD? If so, what's on the 2nd CD? Since all of
Windows XP fits onto a single CD, I'm wondering what is on your 2nd CD.

*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

Old January 22nd 04, 02:14 PM
nil spam

"*Vanguard*" wrote in message
| "Noboddie" said in :
| I cannot get my comp. to boot when I install the second CD. Worked
| fine when I put it together, frigged around with it, now I can see
| both CD's in the BIOS but when XP starts to load, It just hangs at
| the opening screen for XP. Both CD's will work when installed alone.
| I have tried master/ slave, cable select, master/CS. Any ideas would
| be greatly appreciated.
| Thanks
|
| Hmm, I got the OEM version of Windows XP. It only has one CD from which
all
| of Windows XP gets installed (or repaired). If you have the retail
version,
| does it come with a 2nd CD? If so, what's on the 2nd CD? Since all of
| Windows XP fits onto a single CD, I'm wondering what is on your 2nd CD.
|
| --
| __________________________________________________ __________
| *** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***
| __________________________________________________ __________

Er, he's got two physical cd drives...

Old January 22nd 04, 06:29 PM
*Vanguard*

"Noboddie" said in :
I cannot get my comp. to boot when I install the second CD. Worked
fine when I put it together, frigged around with it, now I can see
both CD's in the BIOS but when XP starts to load, It just hangs at
the opening screen for XP. Both CD's will work when installed alone.
I have tried master/ slave, cable select, master/CS. Any ideas would
be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Hmm, I got the OEM version of Windows XP. It only has one CD from
which all of Windows XP gets installed (or repaired). If you have
the retail version, does it come with a 2nd CD? If so, what's on
the 2nd CD? Since all of Windows XP fits onto a single CD, I'm
wondering what is on your 2nd CD.

*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

Er, he's got two physical cd drives...

CD = Compact Disc (and is not a drive). It did sound funny that the BIOS
could detect the 2nd CD (i.e., when 2nd CD was in a drive).

Guess I'd first try to see if Windows XP will boot into Safe Mode. Don't
know why, but sometimes getting Windows to boot into Safe Mode seems to kick
the hardware check in the butt so a subsequent normal boot will work.

*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

Old January 22nd 04, 06:47 PM
nil spam

| CD = Compact Disc (and is not a drive). It did sound funny that the BIOS
| could detect the 2nd CD (i.e., when 2nd CD was in a drive).

Anyone with a bit of common sense would, from his mention of master/slave/cs
settings, conclude that it's a cd drive issue.

Old January 24th 04, 05:58 AM
*Vanguard*

"nil spam" said in :
CD = Compact Disc (and is not a drive). It did sound funny that the
BIOS could detect the 2nd CD (i.e., when 2nd CD was in a drive).

Anyone with a bit of common sense would, from his mention of
master/slave/cs settings, conclude that it's a cd drive issue.

Guess you haven't heard about the user that tried to send a fax by running
the software and holding the document against their monitor. Or the user
that complained about the erratic mouse movement because they never removed
the bubble wrap from it. Or the user that calls in to report their system
suddenly went dead and cannot get anything on the screen, you tell them to
check the power cables, they report they cannot see them because it is too
dark, you say to turn on the lights, and then they tell you there is a power
outage and it's dark in their office (and you wonder why they think the
computer will still run [which has no UPS]). There's nothing to indicate
that this wasn't tryig to insert a 2nd CD, it didn't read or work as
expected, and this user started changing a bunch of hardware setup to see
what might get the CD (compact disk) to work.

*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

How to use flash memory to boot on? Charles General 3 November 24th 03 02:59 PM
random boot failure no spam General 1 August 30th 03 05:23 AM
Boot Problems Cuzman General 1 August 19th 03 10:12 PM
CD Boot Requirements Long Gone General 4 August 10th 03 05:54 PM
Hard drive that boots elsewhere refuses to boot in this machine Simon O'Connor General 9 July 22nd 03 06:34 AM