Stopping the noise

Old July 27th 06, 09:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Floth

Default Stopping the noise

I have an eVGA 7800GS with driver 84.22 installed. When I play a game, the
fan speed increases so loud that you can hear in on Mars. I know this is the
drivers doing this but I need for it to stop. Is there anyway to stop the
driver from increasing the fan speed? I know there are other cooling
solutions, but I spent enough money already and I just want to rest my ears
*_*

TIA

Old July 27th 06, 09:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Monkee

"Floth" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have an eVGA 7800GS with driver 84.22 installed. When I play a game, the
fan speed increases so loud that you can hear in on Mars. I know this is
the drivers doing this but I need for it to stop. Is there anyway to stop
the driver from increasing the fan speed? I know there are other cooling
solutions, but I spent enough money already and I just want to rest my ears
*_*

TIA

The Fan is spinning up to silly levels because the card is getting hot....

If you prevent it from spinning up to silly levels the card will overheat
and your computer will crash...

Either look at implementing better cooling in your case or buy a third party
cooler for the card - not really any other solution (unless you have a
defective card)

Old July 27th 06, 10:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Floth

"Monkee" wrote in message
.uk...

"Floth" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have an eVGA 7800GS with driver 84.22 installed. When I play a game, the
fan speed increases so loud that you can hear in on Mars. I know this is
the drivers doing this but I need for it to stop. Is there anyway to stop
the driver from increasing the fan speed? I know there are other cooling
solutions, but I spent enough money already and I just want to rest my
ears *_*

TIA

The Fan is spinning up to silly levels because the card is getting hot....

If you prevent it from spinning up to silly levels the card will overheat
and your computer will crash...

Either look at implementing better cooling in your case or buy a third
party cooler for the card - not really any other solution (unless you have
a defective card)

I turn on the computer and enter the game. As soon as I enter the game, the
fan spins up. The driver info says the card is running at 38C and can take
up to 115C when it slows performance down. Its the driver doing this not the
card. Temps in the case are CPU 40C Zone 1 33C Zone 2 38C add 5C when
gaming.

It seems that the card doesn't get very hot, based on the temps shown in the
driver as I play. Its not overclocked. I just want the fan to simply work,
not adjust itself. My last card was a Gainward GeForce 4 4800 Ti 128 that I
removed the fan completely and replaced it with that monstrous heatsink from
Zalman. The Zalman heatsink broke (my fault) then I ran the card with no fan
or heatsink for over 3 years playing games for hours on end with never a
problem.

Most card manufactures make cards that can be overclocked esp. eVGA and BFG,
so they can take more heat then we give them credit for.

I just want to prevent the fan from changing speeds, not go the extremes
mentioned above *shrug*

Old July 28th 06, 02:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
rms

I just want to prevent the fan from changing speeds, not go the extremes
mentioned above *shrug*

Use a windows fan utility to adjust fanspeed. The one I've been
using is Gainward's Expertool, which worked fine on my generic PNY card
http://www.gainward.com/html/downloa.../expertool.htm

rms

Old July 28th 06, 02:41 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

www.guru3d.com/rivatuner
Should let you manually set the fan duty cycle to whatever you want.

BTW, the eVGA 7800GS fan doesn't appear to be capable of ear-splitting
noise. I'm surprised you find it that annoying.

ink.net...

Old July 28th 06, 03:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Floth

Its not "ear-splitting" its just disheartening to spend all that money on a
quiet case, CPU fan, etc. only to have a video card "break the silence"
*lol*

And thanks for the info *_*

"First of One" wrote in message
www.guru3d.com/rivatuner
Should let you manually set the fan duty cycle to whatever you want.

BTW, the eVGA 7800GS fan doesn't appear to be capable of ear-splitting
noise. I'm surprised you find it that annoying.

ink.net...