Rubbing alcohol?

Old September 1st 03, 12:28 AM
Duble

Default Rubbing alcohol?

I read many of the replies to the previous post, and I have a question.

I generally use Surgical Spirit to remove gunk from my heatsinks. Mainly
because it is kept indoors, and I don't have to venture down to the garage
to get something stronger!! ;o)

It seems to remove all previous residues pretty well (to the naked eye at
least), and evaporates almost instantaneously.

I figure that, also, as it can be used on the skin, it cannot be
particularly abrasive.

Are there any downsides to using this stuff?

--
JW
See my photography exploits at: http://www.essexchurches.co.uk

Old September 1st 03, 01:48 AM
Ed Light

Be sure to use 99% isopropyl, not the weak stuff.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Old September 1st 03, 07:28 AM
Gromit

Yeah, that and don't smoke around it!
Like Ed said, be sure of the potency. Its good, cuts oils and will
not leave a residue.
I work in a hospital, and use this type of stuff as well when cleaning
mine.

Old September 1st 03, 01:22 PM

"Duble" wrote in message
I read many of the replies to the previous post, and I have a question.

I generally use Surgical Spirit to remove gunk from my heatsinks. Mainly
because it is kept indoors, and I don't have to venture down to the garage
to get something stronger!! ;o)

It seems to remove all previous residues pretty well (to the naked eye at
least), and evaporates almost instantaneously.

I figure that, also, as it can be used on the skin, it cannot be
particularly abrasive.

Abrasive ?
You mean corrosive ?
No, it just hardens the skin.
If you need real shifting power, try cellulose (paint) thinners - they move
Heaven and Earth! (but don't marinade your fingers in it).

Old September 1st 03, 01:29 PM
Mike P

I had to use acetone to get an old thermal pad off, then I cleaned again
with 99% isopropyl to get my finger oils off before I put the paste on
later. The pad came off a bit easier with the acetone, though it still
required some scrubbing for a while.

Mike

Old September 3rd 03, 12:12 AM
Duble

"Q" wrote in message

Abrasive ?
You mean corrosive ?

Yes, I did! I had a few beers beforehand, and couldn't quite think of the
word I wanted!! ;o)

No, it just hardens the skin.

When I was younger, my parents used to use it to clean wounds. It stung like
hell! I'm still here to tell the tale though!! ) It made me think of some
of the other items in our medical cabinet of old. There was a powder called
"Boric ...". I seem to remember it being Boric Acid, and it was another
wound cleansing agent. Then there was Alum, which we put onto ulcers. That
stung like hell too. It got rid of the ulcers quickly though!! Finally, we
had a big lump of pitch (tar), that my grandad had acquired when he was
working for the corporation's road repairs department. It allegedly got rid
of boils in superfast time. And it really did seem to work. I was told that
it purified the blood.

The pitch was dumped, along with the rest, in favour of more modern
medicines, though I was told that the pitch was carcinogenic.

JW

Old September 3rd 03, 02:05 AM
Ed Light

"Duble" wrote
When I was younger, my parents used to use it to clean wounds.

Tea Tree Oil is great for that. The British army used to use it. It's a
topical anisthetic and kills germs.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/