Canon LiDE 80

Old October 22nd 05, 03:43 AM
Nanashi Nogombe

Default Canon LiDE 80

Please excuse me if I breach any protocols here, I have never used
newsgroups or support lines before.

I bought a new PC with XP Professional (SP2) 6 months ago and until recently
my
Canon LiDE 80 Scanner worked fine with it. Whenever I booted up I heard the
scanner connect to the USB port. Recently, I went to scan a document and
received the error message:

" Cannot communicate with scanner. Cable may be disconnected or scanner may
be turned off. Check status. Scanner driver will be closed"

I tried everything including un-installing and re-installing, downloaded
deldrv.exe from Canon site and repeated and repeated process of
re-installing. I tried the scanner with a friend's laptop running XP
professional and the scanner worked okay. I then tried his Canon scanner
(5002f) with my PC - same error messages. I contacted Canon tech support
who were less than helpful. They told me it was obviously a software
conflict (Doh!) and I needed to uninstall the application that was
conflicting. I uninstalled everything I have that might possibly be
construed as an imaging device, I changed the power options on my USB ports
to be "always on", I made sure "static image" was automatically on, I did
everything suggested by others on the net - All to no avail.

I rang Canon again and was told "you'll have to reinstall XP" and basically
"not our problem". When I go to Windows Device Manager it tells me the
hardware is working properly.

I have received other erros as well as the original one. These include:

"The device encountered an internal error, please try again" and
"There is a TWAIN error Maybe the device is not connected."

From searching the net I can see many other people have encountered the same
problem with Canon USB scanners. Does anyone have a solution?

Many thanks - Kirk

Old October 22nd 05, 10:01 PM
CSM1

"Nanashi Nogombe" wrote in message
[...]

From searching the net I can see many other people have encountered the
same
problem with Canon USB scanners. Does anyone have a solution?

Many thanks - Kirk

Try this:

In Device Manager, delete (remove) the Canon Lide 80. Unplug the Scanner
USB. Reboot the computer, then re-install the software for the Canon Lide
80.

The normal procedure of uninstalling the software may not get all of the
stuff for the scanner. The device manager should remove the scanner from the
OS.

If the above does not work then bring in the BIG guns.

Unplug the Scanner from the USB. The USB must be disconnected and the Canon
software installed before plugging in the scanner.

Uninstall the Canon software.
Backup the registry first!
If you are not scared of editing the registry, search for any entry for the
Canon scanner and TWAIN driver. The command is StartRun, type regeditOK

The name of the driver to search for is the name of the .ds file at
C:\Windows\Twain_32\CQN????\ (CNQ8400 for my Canon 8400F) the .ds is
CISDS.ds for my Canon 8400F. You would search the registry for "CISDS" to
find the Cannon 8400F in the registry. Delete any registry entries you find
for the Canon Scanner.

Reboot the computer, the install the Canon software.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Old October 24th 05, 01:11 PM
Nanashi Nogombe

Thanks CSM1. I am working long hours at the moment. I'm too tired and
don't have time to follow your advice until next weekend. (You need to be
alert when changing the registry). I'll let you know how I get on.
"CSM1" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

From searching the net I can see many other people have encountered the
same