PB 486 'cruising the net

Old August 31st 08, 07:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

Default PB 486 'cruising the net

Hi !

This message is coming to you via the 486 PB Legend 38CD Supreme.

Apparently, this "old" 486 BIOS is pretty sophisticated. I slapped in a 1.6G
IDE drive, and it autodetected it.

For ease of installation of WIN98SE, I put an ATAPI IDE CD-ROM on the
primary channel as a slave, loaded a universal CD-ROM driver, and much to my
surprise, it worked. I didn't expect this 1994 BIOS to be ATAPI IDE
compliant.

After installing the Win98 files to a folder on the D: partition, I removed
the IDE CD-ROM drive, reconnected the old CR-563B drive ( which is connected
to a proprietary connector on the PB sound card ), and then installed
Windows 98SE from the D: drive folder. ( this used to by my normal method )

Windows found and installed everything flawlessly. Except the crappy NIC.
Installed an old 1994 3COM PNP card, and I'm off. You see the results.

Next up, I'm installing a POD, and see if I can find some 32M 72 pin simms.

Anyone know why the volume is so low I can barely hear it on my "World Class
Packard Bell" sound card/modem ? ( never did like these things. )

bobwatts
486 Packard Bell

Old August 31st 08, 08:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

PB 486 does not like the POD with or without an interposer.

Boots to BIOS screen, recognizes it as a P24T running at 100MHz (?), and
stops/locks up.

Does not like a Kingston 133MHz Turbochip.
Does the same EXACT thing above.

Did not try an Evergreen. Don't want to blow it up.

Might try flashing the BIOS, but it already has version x1.17. Don't like to
flash BIOS' unless I really have to. And I may never see another 486 PB, so
I'll probably leave it alone.

Regrouping......

bobwatts

Old August 31st 08, 09:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

"Robert E. Watts" wrote in message

Anyone know why the volume is so low I can barely hear it on my "World
Class
Packard Bell" sound card/modem ? ( never did like these things. )

Requires amplified speakers.

Volume is fine.

Old September 1st 08, 01:00 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

Curious that the POD does not work with interposer. IIRC, the Kingston 133MHz
Turbochip was manufactured with a write-back cache and no jumper to force
write-through. Until Kingston and Evergreen came out with 133MHz AMD models
supporting write-through cache, I had a nice little (never shipped more than a
couple of hundred) business selling my AMD 133Mhz kits... Ben Myers

Old September 1st 08, 01:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

Bob,

According the the UK tech support page, the 450 motherboard needs different
jumper settings to run with various processors.

Also, the cache sockets at U16/U19/U29/U32 seem to be garden-variety DIP
sockets. Anything in them? I doubt that I have the chips needed to set up a
512KB cache, but 128KB is a no brainer... Ben Myers

Old September 1st 08, 01:06 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

The cache needs chips at U55 and U58 to function normally. The one at U58 is a
tricky little bugger, hard to find... Ben Myers

Old September 1st 08, 01:35 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

Default Comprehensive answer

HI Ben !

First off, thanks for your replies, I always look forward to them.

Hope you and the rest have a good holiday tomorrow!

Gonna reply to all he

****************

Third:

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
The cache needs chips at U55 and U58 to function normally. The one at U58
is a
tricky little bugger, hard to find... Ben Myers

I know. I have run into this mess before on other old 486 boards. Usually
lost too.

***************

Second:

Bob,

According the the UK tech support page, the 450 motherboard needs different
jumper settings to run with various processors.

Right, I'm aware of that. However, my board does not have a J29. If I had
more of these boards, I might try adding a jumper there. ( have been doing
some serious repairs lately. Some Electrolytic capacitors, replaced a
MOSFET voltage regulator, etc. ) Adding a jumper to the two solder pads
present would be easy. *IF* they are connected to anything.

Note that the UK site also mentions a different BIOS version for POD
support. I *thought* I already had it.

Also, the cache sockets at U16/U19/U29/U32 seem to be garden-variety DIP
sockets. Anything in them?

Nope, all sockets are empty.

I doubt that I have the chips needed to set up a
512KB cache, but 128KB is a no brainer... Ben Myers

*************

First:

Curious that the POD does not work with interposer. IIRC, the Kingston
133MHz
Turbochip was manufactured with a write-back cache and no jumper to force
write-through. Until Kingston and Evergreen came out with 133MHz AMD models
supporting write-through cache, I had a nice little (never shipped more than
couple of hundred) business selling my AMD 133Mhz kits... Ben Myers

I was rather surprised also. Especially when BIOS recognized BOTH CPU's (
POD and Kingston 133 ) as 100MHz P24T chips.
But, again, in the interest of not wanting to blow anything up ( even though
I'm really careful, and really know what I'm doing (since 1994 ) ), I
decided to quit while I was ahead. For now. :-)

Have moved on to other projects for now. But I'll get back to the machine
after I think about it awhile. I usually fix things ( if it needs fixing )
by using subconscious thought. :-)

By the way, you guys ( if anyone is listening ) ever used bleach to clean
these cases ? Lighter fluid is good for "goo", ( won't harm plastic ), and
409 is a good strong cleaner. Bleach can get rid of a lot of stains also. I
have yet to find a cure for yellowed plastic.

Figures that the 486 machine would be slightly yellow, and the Synera P120
would be perfectly white.

bob

Old September 1st 08, 11:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
metronid

"Ben Myers" wrote in message

[...]

My first packardbell had the 450MB
I still have the interposer
The POD worked with it.
The bios for the PCI card version will work for the ISA version
not the other way around
Old September 3rd 08, 01:05 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

Default PB 450 motherboard

Hi "met" !

"metronid" wrote in message:

My first packardbell had the 450MB
I still have the interposer
The POD worked with it.
The bios for the PCI card version will work for the ISA version
not the other way around

Interesting motherboard. Far more sophisticated for a "lowly" Packard Bell
486 than I would have expected.

Good to know that you got the POD working on yours. I probably missed
something, but then, I have seen identical motherboards refuse to use the
thing.

I will probably do some more experimenting with this computer in the future.
I'm interested to see how far this BIOS can go. It seems to be very ATAPI
compliant. Did you ever install a drive larger than 2.1, or 8.4 gig? I
didn't get around to testing that.
Be interesting to see if it accepts an IDE ZIP drive, and other "things".

What case did your motherboard come in by the way ?

bob

Old September 3rd 08, 05:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

There is some possibility that the absence of cache memory on the 450
motherboard is the reason the POD with interposer would not work properly. Stay
tuned, as I do an archaeological dig through my older parts and attachments.
It's possible I will unearth one of the "short" tag SRAM chips needed for a
fully functioning cache on this board... Ben Myers

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 08:05:16 -0400, "Robert E. Watts" wrote:

Hi "met" !