System_sav

Old January 27th 04, 08:53 AM
Grasselli

Default System_sav

I canceled the System_sav partition on the hard disk
(1.5 Gb) but I am not able to recovery and use that free space on the disk.
Help me please.
Frank

Old January 27th 04, 12:54 PM
HH

What do you mean by "canceled"? Deleted with fdisk? If you delete the
partition or delete the folders in it, your recovery CD will no longer be
able to QuickRestore the PC. Something to think about.

HH

Old January 27th 04, 03:52 PM
Grasselli

I delete it definitively the partition.
What I can do to use again the CD Quick restore ?
Thank you
Frank

. net...

Old January 27th 04, 04:36 PM
HH

You will have to contact Compaq in your geographical area and order a full
Quickrestore kit (usually 2-3 CDs) With System_sav gone, the recovery CD
that came with the PC can no longer do a Quickrestore..
HH

"Grasselli" wrote in message
I delete it definitively the partition.
What I can do to use again the CD Quick restore ?
Thank you
Frank

. net...

Old January 27th 04, 08:42 PM
JHEM

HH,

HH wrote:
You will have to contact Compaq in your geographical area and order a
full Quickrestore kit (usually 2-3 CDs) With System_sav gone, the
recovery CD that came with the PC can no longer do a Quickrestore..

OK, you've officially lost me. If one HAS the recovery CD for one's system,
why is it necessary to also have the System_sav partition on the HD?

Is this something new from Compaq?

What's on the recovery CD if not an ISO of the original OS install?

I have _stacks_ of Compaq recovery CDs for servers, desktops and laptops
here and I've never had any problems using them on wiped systems.

Regards,

James

PS: Thanks for all your work on the FAQ!

Old January 27th 04, 08:58 PM
HH

The Recovery CD just initiates the restore. The actual compressed data from
which the restore extracts the image is in folders on the D:System_sav
partition.
This is what differentiates a Recovery CD from the Quickrestore CD(s) which
have the folders that are copied to the partition at the first step in a
full restore.
This has been the case all along since Compaq stopped including QR CDs with
the PC, just a recovery CD.

HH

"JHEM" wrote in message
HH,

Old January 28th 04, 02:45 AM
JHEM

HH wrote:

This has been the case all along since Compaq stopped including QR
CDs with the PC, just a recovery CD.

Aha, it's a semantics problem then. I guess all the CDs in my collection are
QRs, not "just" a recovery CD and I tend to lump them all together under the
category of recovery CD.

Must be a fairly recent change as my future DIL's 1.5YO Presario 722US came
with QRs I believe. Although, now you've made me wonder and I'll have to
check them.

So, basically, what you're saying is that if the HD goes to meet it's maker
and you replace it, the recovery CD is useless? What does one do then?

(Speaking of the 722US, has anyone heard anything more about Compaq possibly
breaking down and agreeing to fix the display hinges on these things? I know
there's extended warranty coverage for this problem in the UK and elsewhere
overseas, any word that they'll fix the hinges here in the US? $230 for a
pair of hinges from HP Parts Surfer is a bit much for a 1.5YO laptop!)

Regards,

James

Old January 28th 04, 01:33 PM
HH

Yep. Your 722US likely came with only the recovery CD. Compaq stopped
including QR CDs about 3-4 years ago. These QR kits often have 2 or 3 CDs.
In North America, you can order QR Kits for models that shipped with Windows
Millenium and later for $10 (including ground shipping) by using the link
in the Compaq FAQ or calling 800-841-2761. Outside North America, one must
contact the nearest Compaq support center, i.e., Compaq U.K. Some Win 98/SE
QRs may still be available but don't count on it.

HH

Old January 29th 04, 06:19 PM
Karen

"HH" wrote in message
. net...
.. Some Win 98/SE
QRs may still be available but don't count on it.

Although I'm in Canada, I have a US Presario 5838 running Win98SE. I had a
little difficulty ordering the Quick Restore for my system (long long story,
not pertinent), but was finally able to purchase the QR CD from the States
(twice...note long long story), it's (they've) now been shipped. The
Win98SE QR's seem to be available.

Regards,
Karen )
ps I sure am glad I didn't get rid of the d:\System_Save partition!