VA-20 won't boot

Old November 19th 05, 05:01 AM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit

Default VA-20 won't boot

Anyone know what would cause a Abit VA-20 motherboard to beep slowly with
single beeps and have no display? The CPU (AMD Athlon XP 2100+) and memory
(Kingston 512MB DDR PC 2100) run of a 133MHz bus (the default). I've
tried slowing it to 100MHz. I've tried it with no drives and all the
drives. With all the panel switch hooked up and none hooked up. With
keyboard and mouse, no keyboard and mouse. The monitor is hooked up to the
video on the motherboard. I've measured the power supply voltages with a
voltmeter.

Old November 19th 05, 08:57 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit

I've tried a different power supply, CPU, memory, or keyboard with the same
result. The best I can tell from the beep codes is it's a very general code
meaning power supply, system board, or keyboard problem (if I interpret the
long beeps as short beeps). It beeps with one long beep pause one long beep
pause one long beep pause one long beep pause without stoping the sequence
until turning the power off. I don't see that in any of the error codes.
It has Phoenix BIOS per on the chip and in the manual.

Old November 30th 05, 05:50 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit

Perry,

I had a similar problem with a 3yr. old ABIT KX7-333R, my SOYO pci beep code
card gave a CPU error code so I replaced the CPU but that was not the
problem. It turned out to be bad capacitors on the MBO so at that point I
replaced the MBO and both AMD Athlon XP 2100's are working fine in new
MBO's.
It seams you have eliminated all other possible problems.
Sounds like you have a bad MBO so get an RMA from where you bought it, or
from ABIT. That should fix it.

Buying PC parts from anyone is like shooting craps sometimes they work and
sometimes they don't, no matter who makes them. 7yr. experience building and
repairing PC's.

Good Luck, Fred

newskMff.770$Nx2.259@trnddc09...

"Perry Webb" wrote in message
Anyone know what would cause a Abit VA-20 motherboard to beep slowly with
single beeps and have no display? The CPU (AMD Athlon XP 2100+) and
memory (Kingston 512MB DDR PC 2100) run of a 133MHz bus (the default).
I've tried slowing it to 100MHz. I've tried it with no drives and all
the drives. With all the panel switch hooked up and none hooked up.
With keyboard and mouse, no keyboard and mouse. The monitor is hooked up
to the video on the motherboard. I've measured the power supply voltages
with a voltmeter.

Why this configuration not working? Terry Pinnell Storage (alternative) 13 November 13th 05 07:38 PM
Boot.ini Bob General 31 August 19th 05 05:26 AM
Data Recovery from lost NTFS. Help! Gregg OBanion Storage (alternative) 33 June 18th 05 08:02 AM
The Adaptec curse or why can't I boot from an SCSI cdrom Montana Pete Asus Motherboards 10 June 5th 05 12:46 AM
Trouble cloning XP with Ghost 2003 Kevin Storage (alternative) 26 February 8th 05 05:33 AM