Matrox Parhelia LX P650 vs Mainstream ATI or NVidia

Old January 23rd 04, 10:40 AM
Frederic W. Erk

Default Matrox Parhelia LX P650 vs Mainstream ATI or NVidia

I am interested with Matrox hardware, especially the Parhelia LX series. I
am looking for multi-display, crisp quality, colour calibration and good
platform for multimedia creation. I have experience with ATI AIW, which are
disappointing and not worth purchasing. ATI and NVidia mainstream hardware
are optimised for 3D games, not video or serious photography.

I would be interested to hear from people with experience using Parhelia LX
series, and if possible, with former Matrox G550 (as a comparison).

- FWE.

Old January 23rd 04, 03:16 PM
Eric Gisin

I don't see how a video card can have better colour calibration, there is no
difference between various 8-bit DACs. They can differ in very hi-res modes
you would use on a 21" monitor, that's about it.

Old January 27th 04, 10:48 PM
Steve

We read about the Parhelia being wonderful at 2D, and 'so so' at 3D, though
a Review at
http://www20.tomshardware.com/graphi...charts-04.html makes it
look useless amongst the rest. We never get a review comparing the 2D colour
accuracies and functionality of the 3D gamers cards and the serious 2D cards
like Matrox. Now I do graphics and want decent 2D graphics, but also I don't
see why I should be denied decent 3D, especially if I am doing some of the
graphics for the 3D arena ! Perhaps the days of the 3D card with pass
through facility should return, Matrox Millenium and a Voodoo 2 I recall,
best of both worlds and seemed sensible. Keep hearing that 3D cards are
developed with little thought to 2D but would a serious graphics person spot
the difference, what might those differences be ?
Lets have some comments reviewers please on how they compare for 2D as well,
or are they all top notch ?
What visibly does the Matrox Parhelia give on a single monitor setup that
makes it better at 2D than say a GeForce5959ultra ?
Steve

Old January 27th 04, 11:40 PM
Niclaas Grehling

Frederic W. Erk wrote:
I am interested with Matrox hardware, especially the Parhelia LX series. I
am looking for multi-display, crisp quality, colour calibration and good
platform for multimedia creation. I have experience with ATI AIW, which are
disappointing and not worth purchasing. ATI and NVidia mainstream hardware
are optimised for 3D games, not video or serious photography.

I would be interested to hear from people with experience using Parhelia LX
series, and if possible, with former Matrox G550 (as a comparison).

- FWE.

In short terms, I went back to my G550 from ATI. Gaming was better with
the ATI, ...

Niclaas.
Old January 28th 04, 03:00 AM
J. Clarke

Steve wrote:

We read about the Parhelia being wonderful at 2D, and 'so so' at 3D,
though a Review at
http://www20.tomshardware.com/graphi...charts-04.html makes it
look useless amongst the rest. We never get a review comparing the 2D
colour accuracies

Accurate color comes from accurate calibration, which has to be done in the
field with the board hooked up to the monitor with which it will be used.

and functionality

Define "functionality".

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old January 28th 04, 01:58 PM
Eric Gisin

I fail to see what this review has to do with colour calibration. This is a
typical gaming test, nothing more.

Old January 31st 04, 11:04 AM
Frederic W. Erk

I then swapped the G400MAX for the P650 and tried this for about a week
(should say that all this is on 22" iiyama CRT screens) At the end of this
I noticed no real world difference at all and both had very good colours.

Very interesting stuff. According to DisplayMate's website, the G400 Max is
the best choice - including the GeForce 4 Ti series and Matrox Parhelia
ones - for optimal display quality on CRT monitor.

I am very interested to buy a G400 Max, but some users have complained about
compatibility issues with new motherboards. Something to do with voltage of
the AGP port.

I would like to use the G400 Max on an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe with Windows XP.
Has anyone had problems with the G400 Max on this kind of hardware?

Frederic.

Old January 31st 04, 12:40 PM
J. Clarke

Frederic W. Erk wrote:

I then swapped the G400MAX for the P650 and tried this for about a week
(should say that all this is on 22" iiyama CRT screens) At the end of
this I noticed no real world difference at all and both had very good
colours.

Very interesting stuff. According to DisplayMate's website, the G400 Max
is the best choice - including the GeForce 4 Ti series and Matrox Parhelia
ones - for optimal display quality on CRT monitor.

Read the fine print--they say that to be included a product must get a good
review by a magazine that uses their software to test. So that leads to
the the question of how many magazines use their software and what they
have tested.

List doesn't seem to be very current either.

Old February 2nd 04, 10:14 AM
Frederic W. Erk

"J. Clarke" a écrit dans le message de

Read the fine print--they say that to be included a product must get a

good
review by a magazine that uses their software to test. So that leads to
the the question of how many magazines use their software and what they
have tested.

List doesn't seem to be very current either.

Yes, that is correct. Good point. Researching on Matrox, I have found some
information about their problems with the Parhelia series. It is said that
the card is overpriced. Its released had been postponed due to financial
issues. Food for thought.

Frederic.

Old February 2nd 04, 10:18 AM
Frederic W. Erk

I could not find information about the AGP voltage required to use a G400
Max. I suspect it is 3.3v. My Asus A7N8X requires graphic cards with 1.5v
AGP. That would be really too bad.

I would appreciate if someone could confirm this. Thank you!

- Frederic.