'How'?-THREE Monitors in 'Independent Mode'-P750????

Old July 26th 04, 04:52 AM
J. Clarke

Rick wrote:

"HammerToe" wrote in message
... ..
Recently however, I started to consider the possibility of trying to
add a third 19 incher driven off a second (PCI) video card and the
whole issue of 'possibilities' and potential problems (HW and SW)
arose again.

My own 'gut feel' was that 'Matrox' (software-drivers+Powerdesk) would
not be of any help here BUT my thought/hope was that they wouldn't be
a hinderance. I 'kinda suspected' that I WOULD (VERY LIKELY) have to
revert to (a) 'Stretched Mode' BUT I thought that MAYBE under these
conditions I could let the P750 handle two monitors @ 1600x1200 IN
STRETCHED MODE and the PCI card handle the third, also at 1600x1200.

That's what I was trying to explain earlier. Support for what
you're trying to do has to come from the driver for the primary
controller. Neither Windows itself nor Matrox's driver would
allow you to do this.

This may change in the future, with the advent of PCI-X. But
in the meantime adding another adapter will not give you
1600x1200 on the third monitor, in any mode, since it is not
supported either by Windows or by the primary controller driver.

Picking a minor nit, that's PCI Express, or PCI-E. The reason I bring this
up is that there is also a PCI-X standard that is different from PCI
Express. PCI Express is the one that is being pushed as the AGP
replacement. Personally I'm of the opinion that it's mainly a marketing
gimmick but it may catch on.

Rick

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old July 26th 04, 02:59 PM

HammerToe wrote:

I'm current running TWO 19" analog monitors @ 1600x1200 (each), 32 Bit
Color in 'INDEPENDENT' mode.

I would LIKE to consider adding a THIRD 19 incher BUT using only the
capabilities of the P750, I can only do so IF I 'drop down' to
(something like - it was quite awhile ago that I did the experiment)
3840x1024 - a 'STRETCHED' mode which I don't like much. I don't get
any more (for all intents and purposes) 'pixels' to display more info;
everything simply gets larger. ALSO I really don't like having my
TaskBar stretched across the three monitors and it also complicates
the use of Wallpapers....

The best place I have found for information
http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/

I have in the past run up to 4 separate Video Cards in one system with for
example a Matrox G400MAX in the AGP slot, a G400 PCI Dual Head and a Matrox
G200 PCI.

This gave me a total of 5 screen all with independent control of the colour
depth, resolution and size.

I am only up to a P650 so cannot help you for certain with the P750 apart
from the fact that the 3rd screen is in stretched mode according to the web
site.

I would suggest getting a Matrox PCI card 2nd hand plug it in and get a 3rd
or 4th screen up and running. One potential problem is some Motherboards
may have problems with this but the risk is not high.

I am back to 2 screens at the moment as I have change to LCD screens and
these (20") are a little expensive for me to get 5 at once. :-)

Hope this lot helps

Andy
Old July 27th 04, 07:45 AM
Rick

"HammerToe" wrote in message ...
***AND*** - the BEST part: I basically HAVE exactly what I wanted:
"INDEPENDENT MODE' across the three monitors:

a) My Taskbar is *still constrained to appareaing on a single monitor*
- Monitor #2, where it was 'originally' pre any of this tinkering,
AND

b) The 'standard' 1600x1200 wallpaper I was using also pre any of this
DISPLAYS CORRECTLY - each physical monitor showing it 'independently',
in full/undistorted...

So if you maximize an app running on each monitor, it fills
the screen on only that monitor? Try it one at a time on
all three.

Rick

Old July 27th 04, 11:54 AM

"Rick" wrote:

"HammerToe" wrote in message ...
***AND*** - the BEST part: I basically HAVE exactly what I wanted:
"INDEPENDENT MODE' across the three monitors:

a) My Taskbar is *still constrained to appareaing on a single monitor*
- Monitor #2, where it was 'originally' pre any of this tinkering,
AND

b) The 'standard' 1600x1200 wallpaper I was using also pre any of this
DISPLAYS CORRECTLY - each physical monitor showing it 'independently',
in full/undistorted...

So if you maximize an app running on each monitor, it fills
the screen on only that monitor? Try it one at a time on
all three.

Rick

In the mode he is talking about yes each app would maximise to each screen.
You can drag the app to cover more if you want. I used to like Photoshop
with the window spread over 2 screens and email etc in the 3rd or 4th
screens.

Old July 27th 04, 01:59 PM
Rick

" wrote in message ...
"Rick" wrote:

"HammerToe" wrote in message ...
***AND*** - the BEST part: I basically HAVE exactly what I wanted:
"INDEPENDENT MODE' across the three monitors:

a) My Taskbar is *still constrained to appareaing on a single monitor*
- Monitor #2, where it was 'originally' pre any of this tinkering,
AND

b) The 'standard' 1600x1200 wallpaper I was using also pre any of this
DISPLAYS CORRECTLY - each physical monitor showing it 'independently',
in full/undistorted...

So if you maximize an app running on each monitor, it fills
the screen on only that monitor? Try it one at a time on
all three.

In the mode he is talking about yes each app would maximise to each screen.
You can drag the app to cover more if you want. I used to like Photoshop
with the window spread over 2 screens and email etc in the 3rd or 4th
screens.

Well then I apologize for my misinformation.

Rick

No dma sw mode support for cd writer ggroups2 Asus Motherboards 1 September 4th 04 01:53 AM
Protected vs Real esara Homebuilt PC's 1 May 1st 04 06:00 AM
p4c800-e deluxe bios setting - enhanced or compatible IDE operate mode ? Michael Dancygier Asus Motherboards 0 January 21st 04 09:08 PM
ATI AIW Radeon :: Tv out mode weirdness when rebooting tomatohead Ati Videocards 2 September 30th 03 04:04 PM