G550 or P650 in a new PC ? please help me decide

Old July 22nd 04, 05:51 AM
J. Clarke

Thanks for the descriptions, Steven. The desktop zooming seems indeed
a very nice feature. Have you ever tried it on a TV, if possible at
all ?

As to LCDs, they're not only expensive and, like you said, not
pixel-dense as desired. Unless I'm quite wrong, they require you to
stay in a center front area to view the whole screen, so when two
people look at it it goes out of perfect.
At least that's my experience with laptops' TFTs.

Viewing angle on current generation LCD displays is 160 degrees or more.

Steven Whatley wrote in message news:

The desktop zooming on the G and P series card enlarges the desktop.
Let's say you like using a 1600x1200 desktop. PixelTOUCH cycles the
desktop between 1x, 2x, 4x, 1x, ... I have this feature assigned to Alt
+
Crtl + "Num +". Each cycle doubles the pixel size. So at 2x, you see a
800x600 area of the desktop but the actually screen resolution is still
the 1600x1200. Like wase 4x zoom you see a 400x300 area of the desktop
and the pixels are each 4x4.

As the cursor reaches the edge of the zoomed area, the desktop pans. The
panning is very smooth and is done in hardware so Windows doesn't realize
what is happening. Video overlay still works when the desktop is at full
zoom (4x). I have yet to come across any software conflicts with
Matrox's PixelTOUCH.

Being visually impared this is a great help. I can run at a high res
(1920x1440) but still be able to reed the screen.

BTW, like you I am not ready to get LCDs, yet. The displays are too
expensive and the pixel density isn't high enough for me. I would like a
17" LCD that can do at least 1600x1200.

Good luck,
Steven

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

P650 or G550? Jerry Matrox Videocards 3 December 8th 03 06:10 PM
power hungry Matrox P650 won't boot up - PSU or mobo? Dave Williams Homebuilt PC's 3 November 27th 03 10:23 PM
Happy Birthday America SST Overclocking AMD Processors 326 November 27th 03 07:54 PM
P650 ? Ash Matrox Videocards 3 September 4th 03 12:37 AM
G550 and P650 comparison? Larc Matrox Videocards 3 September 2nd 03 10:37 PM