Performance Increase Athlon 64 3500 vs Athlon XP-M 2500 O'Ced to 3200

Old November 10th 04, 05:01 PM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:49:12 +0000, Courseyauto wrote:

Frankly I don't care if you believe me or not. i'm just curious why you
have such faith in the reviewer. Do you know him? Because he probably
got paid for the review? The things i posted would have been enough
for anyone that had any knowledge of cooling. The idiot that wrote the
reviewdidn't know wtf he was doing. It's that simple and is obvious to
people that do.

Well thats good because i dont. Why should i believe somebody that
slams a
review and doesn't even have the product being tested. Not only did this
review say it was an execellant cooler but everyone i looked at before i
bought mine said the same thing. And after buying one for myself know
exactly how thw cooler works,unlike you. You need to update your cooling
knowledge,your is outdated and flawed.

I didn't say the cooler wasn't any good, just his review. When he said the
stock AMD cooler and the SLK-800 gave him the same temps that was what
made it obvious. The stock AMD XP cooler is lousy in comparison to the
SLK-800 and the temps would surely reflect this. And there's no way in
hell that the rocket cooler would produce cpu temps 17C below that of any
properly installed SLK-800, unless maybe the fan on the SLK800 was not
there or very slow. So, it's just not a good review.

Old November 10th 04, 05:09 PM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:44:40 +0000, Courseyauto wrote:

if the CPU isn't stabler under full load. then it's not going to be stable

.under a lessor load. At least not 100% of the time. But it's your choice
.if you want to run it like that. Just don't advise others to do so since
there is a problem that might arise.

Really, i have systems that will fail prime 95 but work with no problem as a
office system, the one i have at work is a P4 overclocked to 150 FSB that fails
prime 95 but works fine all day every day for me. You shouldn't be giving bad
advice.

And I had an old 486SX20 overclocked to 33MHz for about a year before it
finally corrupted about every file on my system and then would start
crashing the system after a reload. Lowering it back to 20MHz fixed it.
Given time, one that fails at high load will probably do you in.:-)

Old November 10th 04, 05:15 PM
Courseyauto

Jeez, are you *trying* to be irritating, or does it just come naturally?

Look in the mirror,you will see a moron

The whole point is, your PC might fall over at any moment. Just because it
hasn't done it yet doesn't mean everything is roses. Its like those idiots
that say "well my grandmother smoked 40 a day and lived to be 93, therefore
I don't think smoking is bad for you". Cretins. All you have proved so far
is that you have - so far - got away with it.

Sure i have gotten away with it, because prime 95 doesn't mean my system is
going to fail any minute if it doesn't pass. millions of people have stable
computers and never heard of prime 95. I'm pretty sure i'm not
the only one one that has gotten away with IT. So your,s passes prime 95 at
full load,so freakin what. people should lower their setting AND performance
just to pass prime 95. All the systems i have built and sold work
fine,no comebacks and i didn't even test them with prime 95. mabey i should
go get them and detune them so they will,on second thought they are a couple
years old,they would probably burn up if i try to run prime 95. My god,i cant
believe how many people are using computers that havn't even been tested with
prime 95.

What do you want us all to do? The whole world to bow down and say "because
Courtesy Auto's PC hasn't fallen over yet, we should abandon the use of
Prime95 as a proper stress test"???? Its OK to overclock to beyond the
point of stability because Courtesy Auto's PC hasn't crashed yet.

So just because you say so,if you dont use prime 95 you havn't done a PROPER
stress test. you need to chill out,your overstressed

Bottom line is your PC doesn't work properly and can crash at any moment.
But - allegedly - it hasn't done yet. Well whoopie do.

Chip

So you slipped in and used my computer while i wasn't looking and claim it
doesn't work properly and is unfit to use and can crash any second now. Would
you please check all the other ones i built and let me know if they are faulty
too. DOUG

Old November 10th 04, 09:11 PM
Courseyauto

And I had an old 486SX20 overclocked to 33MHz for about a year before it
finally corrupted about every file on my system and then would start
crashing the system after a reload. Lowering it back to 20MHz fixed it.
Given time, one that fails at high load will probably do you in.:-)

I have an old granite bay board with a 2.53 533 fsb processor that run at 150
FSB. When i i tried to run prime 95 with it at 150 it would fail and reboot,i
even tried lower settings and it still did it. I cured the problem by not
running prime 95 anymore,it runs 150 FSB now for the past 2 years without a
problem.
Old November 11th 04, 12:19 AM
Ed Light

Don't forget, this an _overclocking_ group and traditionally, prime95 (etc.)
is used.

Anyone can say well, I won't use it, but do they really know if their pc
never never writes a corrupted file, or makes an inaccurate calculation?

You can run prime95 and not crash, but have it tell you that little tiny
computational errors happened.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old November 11th 04, 12:22 AM
Ed Light

"Chip" wrote
All I am saying is that if I can get an XP to (say) 2550MHz at (say) 1.85v
and the load temp is 52C, typically I don't find I can get the speed any
higher by dropping the temps a couple of degrees. From my experience I
tend to find a limit with a chip and having found the limit then that's
pretty much it.

I see what you mean.
For me, 3C might mean I can go an extra notch within comfortable temps,
quiet fans, and hot days.
Actually, that notch wouldn't be noticeable in practice, as far as fps in a
3d sim.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old November 11th 04, 12:25 AM
Ed Light

Maybe we need something that would run the cpu at 75% and try to generate
errors, just to see...

Of course any cpu will hit 100% at times.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old November 11th 04, 09:04 PM
Courseyauto

Anyone interested in the 3500 Athlon 64 should read this review. I have this
CPU and it is pretty much the way mine is and i am using a Gigabyte K8NSNXP
motherboard and the temps are about the same. I am really impressed with this
CPU and motherboard. DOUG

http://www.legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=118