How long before CPU fries

Old December 30th 06, 07:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.homebuilt
SteveH

Default How long before CPU fries

"Fishman (((°" wrote in message

"Tx2" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
thought we might be interested in the following...

That was soooo fake

why?

--
Newsreader - Gravity 2.70b (build 2067)
Posts received from Google Groups set to 'auto ignore'.

Why.........

The hole in the table looks exactly like the same hole you see in their
other video about the exploding Intel P4 chip.
It's probably also the same as the hole put in the table before either cpu
was toasted.

An exreemly burnt motherboard - perhaps.
A hole right through the motherboard - very unlikly.
Boards are made of multi layers of fibreglass laminate and are very very
tough.

Years ago I worked for a company who made aircraft "black box" flight
recorders. These were packaged in rugby ball sized fibreglass housings
which generally survived the worst of aircraft crashes complete with
intensly hot fires)

A hole through the motherboard and table below - joke.

And why the hell would the CPU come flying out of the socket? I just think
the holes in the mobo and table are just for some projectile (air pistol or
the like?) to hit the CPU from the back. At least in the Toms Hardware guide
video, the CPU just gets hot (300c +) and smokes:
http://tomshardware.co.uk/2001/09/17...st_l ab_video

SteveH

Old December 30th 06, 08:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.homebuilt
Wes Newell

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 14:57:29 +0000, Skipai Otter wrote:

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...&q=cpu+explode

That was er. Damn, I jumped on that one... I ain't going to try that with
my old Thoroughbred 2400+ cpu....

How about trading trading that 2400+ for an Athlon 1000. I'm sure it'll
blow up just as good. That's assuming the 2400+ works.:-)

Old December 30th 06, 08:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.homebuilt
Wes Newell

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 17:24:54 +0000, John Jordan wrote:

Nick Le Lievre wrote:

Is that a new feature on AMD CPUs becuase in the day of the Athlon 1.0ghz
there was no thermal trip mechanism so CPUs could fry but Intel CPUs have
had this protection since the PII days. So is this a new thing?

It was introduced with the Palomino Athlon XPs, IIRC, although the
required motherboard support wasn't common until somewhat later. All A64
boards should have it.

You'd have to be nuts to rely on thermtrip functionality though.

I can garauntee it works on mine. The cpu fan died and before I could
conmplete installing a new one, the system shut down somewhere after 60C.
It's easy enough to test.

Old December 30th 06, 09:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.homebuilt
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Bitstring , from the
wonderful person Nick Le Lievre
said
Dodgy scenario: I need to test a motherboard to POST with an Athlon 64 3000
venice CPU but I don't as yet have a heatsink/fan.

So I was wondering if I could get away with a few secs of power without the
heatsink/fan while I see if the motherboard POSTS.

I once fried an Athlon 1.0ghz by running it with just a heatsink and it took
about 3 minutes to cook. I`m thinking that from cold the CPU will take
awhile to warm up maybe a minute so I should be able to test it for a few
seconds without damaging it.

What do you think?

Without a HS/fan it will probably fry (well, thermally shut down) before
it gets anywhere useful (like into the BIOS display).

If you add a HS (just a big chunk of metal) with no fan, it'll last
several minutes, as you discovered, before the metal gets warmed up. The
chunk of metal weighs several hundred gm .. the small bit of silicon (or
even the spreader, on more modern CPUs) doesn't.

As others have said, don't do it.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
7,053 Km walked. 1,267Km PROWs surveyed. 23.0% complete.
Old December 30th 06, 09:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.homebuilt
Wes Newell

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 16:56:35 +0000, Nick Le Lievre wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message

Within a few seconds, it should reach thermal overload an shu itself down.
If you want it to stay on long enough to get a post, turn the case so the
cpu is facing up and set a block of metal on top of the cpu with some
grease on it.

As far as I was aware AMD CPUs don't have any thermal protection or at least
they didn't in they days of the Athlon 1.0ghz which is why it fried but
Intel have always had thermal protection since the PII. Do you know for sure
that things have changed and the latest AMD CPU like Athlon 64 have thermal
protection to stop it frying?

Yes, I know for sure. And it works. At least it did on mine. All K8's have
this feature.

Old December 30th 06, 09:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.homebuilt
R D S

"Nick Le Lievre" wrote in message
.. .
Dodgy scenario: I need to test a motherboard to POST with an Athlon 64
3000
venice CPU but I don't as yet have a heatsink/fan.

So I was wondering if I could get away with a few secs of power without
the
heatsink/fan while I see if the motherboard POSTS.

Use a plant sprayer and keep squirting water at it, should keep it cool
enough.

If it fails just put it in uk.adverts.computer as untested.

Old December 30th 06, 11:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.homebuilt
Skipai Otter

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 14:57:29 +0000, Skipai Otter wrote:

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...&q=cpu+explode

That was er. Damn, I jumped on that one... I ain't going to try that
with
my old Thoroughbred 2400+ cpu....

How about trading trading that 2400+ for an Athlon 1000. I'm sure it'll
blow up just as good. That's assuming the 2400+ works.:-)

Bah, only a 1000.... I had a Athlon 1400 which was a right hot thing I can
tell you. Mind you, gave that away to a friend for nothing when I upgraded
to the XP2400+

--
Skipai

Old December 31st 06, 12:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.homebuilt
Mike Tomlinson

In article , On Web
writes

You are crazy.

You got that much right. A search on Nick Le Lievre (aka Le Thiefre)
will tell you more than you wanted to know.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
Old December 31st 06, 12:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.homebuilt
Mike Tomlinson

In article , R D S
writes

If it fails just put it in uk.adverts.computer as untested.

And then refuse a refund if it goes "missing" in the post.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
Old December 31st 06, 07:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.homebuilt
John Jordan

fwibbler wrote:
John Jordan wrote:

It was introduced with the Palomino Athlon XPs, IIRC, although the
required motherboard support wasn't common until somewhat later. All A64
boards should have it.

Far be it from me to question your knowledge of most things, but are you
/sure/ it was on the Palominos? I thought it was introduced later than that.

Not sure, no. It certainly wasn't introduced any later than the
Thoroughbred. The Palominos did have on-die thermistors, which should
logically go with the thermtrip feature.

--
John Jordan