How long before CPU fries

Old December 30th 06, 12:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.homebuilt
Nick Le Lievre

Default How long before CPU fries

Dodgy scenario: I need to test a motherboard to POST with an Athlon 64 3000
venice CPU but I don't as yet have a heatsink/fan.

So I was wondering if I could get away with a few secs of power without the
heatsink/fan while I see if the motherboard POSTS.

I once fried an Athlon 1.0ghz by running it with just a heatsink and it took
about 3 minutes to cook. I`m thinking that from cold the CPU will take
awhile to warm up maybe a minute so I should be able to test it for a few
seconds without damaging it.

What do you think?

Old December 30th 06, 01:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.homebuilt
Wes Newell

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 12:09:08 +0000, Nick Le Lievre wrote:

Dodgy scenario: I need to test a motherboard to POST with an Athlon 64 3000
venice CPU but I don't as yet have a heatsink/fan.

So I was wondering if I could get away with a few secs of power without the
heatsink/fan while I see if the motherboard POSTS.

I once fried an Athlon 1.0ghz by running it with just a heatsink and it took
about 3 minutes to cook. I`m thinking that from cold the CPU will take
awhile to warm up maybe a minute so I should be able to test it for a few
seconds without damaging it.

What do you think?

Within a few seconds, it should reach thermal overload an shu itself down.
If you want it to stay on long enough to get a post, turn the case so the
cpu is facing up and set a block of metal on top of the cpu with some
grease on it.

Old December 30th 06, 01:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.homebuilt
Lorne Mower

"Nick Le Lievre" wrote in message
.. .
Dodgy scenario: I need to test a motherboard to POST with an Athlon 64
3000
venice CPU but I don't as yet have a heatsink/fan.

So I was wondering if I could get away with a few secs of power without
the
heatsink/fan while I see if the motherboard POSTS.

I once fried an Athlon 1.0ghz by running it with just a heatsink and it
took
about 3 minutes to cook. I`m thinking that from cold the CPU will take
awhile to warm up maybe a minute so I should be able to test it for a few
seconds without damaging it.

What do you think?

About this long ...... !

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...&q=cpu+explode

Lorne

Old December 30th 06, 01:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.homebuilt
On Web

"Nick Le Lievre" wrote in message
.. .
Dodgy scenario: I need to test a motherboard to POST with an Athlon 64

3000
venice CPU but I don't as yet have a heatsink/fan.

So I was wondering if I could get away with a few secs of power without

the
heatsink/fan while I see if the motherboard POSTS.

I once fried an Athlon 1.0ghz by running it with just a heatsink and it

took
about 3 minutes to cook. I`m thinking that from cold the CPU will take
awhile to warm up maybe a minute so I should be able to test it for a few
seconds without damaging it.

What do you think?

You are crazy. So, if you do manage to do something with it for a few
seconds, you're still left with an unusable system. Why not just wait until
you have a heatsink and fan before you mess with it?

You sure are in a hurry to fry the chip.

Old December 30th 06, 02:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.homebuilt
David Wade

"Nick Le Lievre" wrote in message
.. .
Dodgy scenario: I need to test a motherboard to POST with an Athlon 64

3000
venice CPU but I don't as yet have a heatsink/fan.

So I was wondering if I could get away with a few secs of power without

the
heatsink/fan while I see if the motherboard POSTS.

I once fried an Athlon 1.0ghz by running it with just a heatsink and it

took
about 3 minutes to cook. I`m thinking that from cold the CPU will take
awhile to warm up maybe a minute so I should be able to test it for a few
seconds without damaging it.

Even if terminal damage does not occur, you may stress something and reduce
its life...

What do you think?

Old December 30th 06, 02:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.homebuilt
Skipai Otter

"Lorne Mower" wrote in message

"Nick Le Lievre" wrote in message
.. .
Dodgy scenario: I need to test a motherboard to POST with an Athlon 64
3000
venice CPU but I don't as yet have a heatsink/fan.

So I was wondering if I could get away with a few secs of power without
the
heatsink/fan while I see if the motherboard POSTS.

I once fried an Athlon 1.0ghz by running it with just a heatsink and it
took
about 3 minutes to cook. I`m thinking that from cold the CPU will take
awhile to warm up maybe a minute so I should be able to test it for a few
seconds without damaging it.

What do you think?

About this long ...... !

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...&q=cpu+explode

That was er. Damn, I jumped on that one... I ain't going to try that with
my old Thoroughbred 2400+ cpu....

--
Skipai

Old December 30th 06, 03:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.homebuilt
Fishman >

"Nick Le Lievre" wrote in message
.. .
Dodgy scenario: I need to test a motherboard to POST with an Athlon 64
3000
venice CPU but I don't as yet have a heatsink/fan.

So I was wondering if I could get away with a few secs of power without
the
heatsink/fan while I see if the motherboard POSTS.

I once fried an Athlon 1.0ghz by running it with just a heatsink and it
took
about 3 minutes to cook. I`m thinking that from cold the CPU will take
awhile to warm up maybe a minute so I should be able to test it for a few
seconds without damaging it.

What do you think?

What I think..........

There is no need for you to confirm to the regulars on this group that you
are mad.
We all know that already.

Do carry on though, you'll probably convice the non-regulars as well.

Old December 30th 06, 03:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.homebuilt
Paul

Fishman (((° wrote:
[...]

It sounds like a good way to test the THERMTRIP feature. (Pg.29)

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...docs/31411.pdf

Paul
Old December 30th 06, 03:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.homebuilt
Mike News

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 at 13:26:22, Lorne Mower (Lorne Mower
) wrote:

About this long ...... !

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...&q=cpu+explode

Wow

Probably didn't do the mobo much good either
--
Mike