HP 820cxi

Old November 13th 09, 01:09 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
nick

Default HP 820cxi

Just repaired one of these.

Before connecting it to the computer I tried the self test i.e.

1. Turn the printer on.
2. Press and hold the POWER button.
3. Press the RESUME button four times.
4. Release the POWER button.

All I got was a couple of short vertical lines on the paper.

It works fine connected to an XP box.

Then I found this

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?
lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpd07098&dlc=en&lang=en#N1368

About a third of a way down the page it says

"NOTE: There are no internal clean or diagnostic tests for the HP Deskjet
820cse and 820cxi printers."

Does this mean there is no self test in the 820cxi and that's why all I
got was the short lines?
Old November 13th 09, 07:54 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony[_2_]

nick wrote:
Just repaired one of these.

Before connecting it to the computer I tried the self test i.e.

1. Turn the printer on.
2. Press and hold the POWER button.
3. Press the RESUME button four times.
4. Release the POWER button.

All I got was a couple of short vertical lines on the paper.

It works fine connected to an XP box.

Then I found this

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?
lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpd07098&dlc=en&lang=en#N13 68

About a third of a way down the page it says

"NOTE: There are no internal clean or diagnostic tests for the HP Deskjet
820cse and 820cxi printers."

Does this mean there is no self test in the 820cxi and that's why all I
got was the short lines?

That's what it appears to say. I expect it is correct.
Tony

Old November 15th 09, 10:25 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
nick

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 13:54:02 -0600, Tony wrote:

nick wrote:
Just repaired one of these.

Before connecting it to the computer I tried the self test i.e.

1. Turn the printer on.
2. Press and hold the POWER button.
3. Press the RESUME button four times. 4. Release the POWER button.

All I got was a couple of short vertical lines on the paper.

It works fine connected to an XP box.

Then I found this

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?
lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpd07098&dlc=en&lang=en#N136 8

About a third of a way down the page it says

"NOTE: There are no internal clean or diagnostic tests for the HP
Deskjet 820cse and 820cxi printers."

Does this mean there is no self test in the 820cxi and that's why all I
got was the short lines?

That's what it appears to say. I expect it is correct. Tony

Tony, what I meant to say is does that mean there is no way to print a
test page using the buttons on the 820cxi?

I think the answer is no, because for other printers listed on that page
they talk about self/diagnostic tests, and sample pages under separate
headings.

Nick
Old November 28th 09, 10:08 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Headrick

"nick" wrote in message
Just repaired one of these.

Before connecting it to the computer I tried the self test i.e.

[snip]
All I got was a couple of short vertical lines on the paper.

[snip]
About a third of a way down the page it says

"NOTE: There are no internal clean or diagnostic tests for the HP Deskjet
820cse and 820cxi printers."

Does this mean there is no self test in the 820cxi and that's why all I
got was the short lines?

This is not quite true, the short lines actually *are* the rudimentary self
test. With good working cartridges you would have lines of black, cyan,
magenta and yellow. If there are missing colors (typically yellow and cyan
missing first) it would indicate an issue with the cartridge. If all three
colors from the #41 cartridge are missing it could be either an issue with
the cartridges or the printer electronics. In this case blot the color
cartridge with a damp tissue. A good cartridge would show a strong strip of
cyan, magenta and yellow, similar with black for the #45 cartridge.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

HP Deskjet 820Cxi driving me crazy [email protected] Printers 3 September 16th 06 06:40 AM
HP 820cxi Nick Printers 5 April 22nd 06 10:05 PM
HP 820CXi printer - Cartridge cleaning problem Paul S Printers 12 October 16th 03 09:44 PM
HP 820CXi printer - Cartridge cleaning problem Paul S Printers 0 October 12th 03 05:44 PM
HP 820CXi Graham Printers 2 July 5th 03 06:49 PM