Deskjet always turns on at powerup

Old June 16th 10, 04:00 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Adam[_4_]

Default Deskjet always turns on at powerup

My HP Deskjet D1430 always switches itself on whenever I turn on AC
power to the whole computer system. This is a waste of electricity
and an annoyance. Would anybody out there know of anything I can do
to change this behavior so this printer doesn't start up
automatically? Or is there some escape (or other) sequence I could
send to the printer to shut it off when I start the computer? Or
can anyone think of any other workarounds for this? Thanks VERY
much in advance!

Adam
--
Email: adam seven zero seven AT verizon DOT net
Old June 16th 10, 05:55 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected] (Ted Nolan

In article ,
Adam wrote:
My HP Deskjet D1430 always switches itself on whenever I turn on AC
power to the whole computer system. This is a waste of electricity
and an annoyance. Would anybody out there know of anything I can do
to change this behavior so this printer doesn't start up
automatically? Or is there some escape (or other) sequence I could
send to the printer to shut it off when I start the computer? Or
can anyone think of any other workarounds for this? Thanks VERY
much in advance!

Adam

Um, unplug the power cord unless you need to print?

Is there no power switch on the printer?

Ted
--
------
columbiaclosings.com
Old June 16th 10, 01:59 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
TJ[_3_]

On 06/15/2010 11:00 PM, Adam wrote:
My HP Deskjet D1430 always switches itself on whenever I turn on AC
power to the whole computer system. This is a waste of electricity and
an annoyance. Would anybody out there know of anything I can do to
change this behavior so this printer doesn't start up automatically? Or
is there some escape (or other) sequence I could send to the printer to
shut it off when I start the computer? Or can anyone think of any other
workarounds for this? Thanks VERY much in advance!

Adam

I don't own the printer you ask about, but I have owned several HP
printers. I use them with Linux for the most part, but I also use
Windows 2000 once in a while. I have not yet used any version of Windows
beyond Windows 2000, so what I say here might not apply to those newer
versions.

The Windows software for my Deskjet 5650 contains a power-saver option
that will shut down the printer as if the switch had been used, after
the printer sits idle for a time. When I power back up, the printer is
still acting as if it is switched off.

However, while my Officejet 2110 and its predecessor, a PSC 2110, have a
similar option in the software, neither of those machines actually shut
off automatically. Instead they went into a "sleep" mode. With them,
they still acted as yours does when I powered up. The only solution for
them is/was to manually work the power switch.

The Linux software doesn't contain this option,or at least I haven't
found it yet, so if I used Linux exclusively I'd be stuck with using the
power switch. However, once I set the 5650 in Windows, it still
functioned that way with Linux.

Not particularly specific, but I hope it helps anyway.

TJ
--
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
Old June 16th 10, 04:22 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
TJ[_3_]

On 06/16/2010 08:59 AM, TJ wrote:
I don't own the printer you ask about, but I have owned several HP
printers. I use them with Linux for the most part, but I also use
Windows 2000 once in a while. I have not yet used any version of Windows
beyond Windows 2000, so what I say here might not apply to those newer
versions.

The Windows software for my Deskjet 5650 contains a power-saver option
that will shut down the printer as if the switch had been used, after
the printer sits idle for a time. When I power back up, the printer is
still acting as if it is switched off.

A little correction here... My first description was probably confusing.

Essentially, the software issues a command to the printer, which the
printer then holds in its own memory. The command is not re-issued each
time Windows is run, but it stays in effect until a new one is issued.

TJ
--
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
Old June 16th 10, 04:36 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Adam[_4_]

TJ wrote:
On 06/15/2010 11:00 PM, Adam wrote:
My HP Deskjet D1430 always switches itself on whenever I turn on AC
power to the whole computer system.

I don't own the printer you ask about, but I have owned several HP
printers. I use them with Linux for the most part

Me too... we're both active in the "Time" thread in a.o.l.m. :-)

The Windows software for my Deskjet 5650 contains a power-saver option
that will shut down the printer as if the switch had been used, after
the printer sits idle for a time. When I power back up, the printer is
still acting as if it is switched off.

My previous (Canon) printer had the same feature, but that was a
considerably more expensive printer. This HP is a cheapo, came free
when I bought the computer, and would probably have retailed for US
$30-40. I'm not surprised the better HPs have this feature; I think
my parents' HP 5150 does too.

The only solution for them is/was to manually work the power switch.

If I can't come up with any better solutions, I may connect
something like http://cleantechnica.com/files/2008/11/8651zooma.jpg
between the printer and my UPS. Not automatic, but would work.

The Linux software doesn't contain this option,or at least I haven't
found it yet, so if I used Linux exclusively I'd be stuck with using the
power switch. However, once I set the 5650 in Windows, it still
functioned that way with Linux.

That gives me an idea... I'll try installing the included software
in one of my Windows VMs, and see if it has that setting.

Not particularly specific, but I hope it helps anyway.

It's given me some ideas. Thanks, TJ!

Adam
Old June 16th 10, 06:53 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
UCLAN[_2_]

TJ wrote:

[...]

[...snip]

Why not simply plug it into an outlet that has its own switch, like

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...2C3B3PRAAMCN2Y

[ http://tinyurl.com/ybzqx2a ] ???
Old June 17th 10, 03:33 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
TJ[_3_]

On 06/16/2010 01:53 PM, UCLAN wrote:
TJ wrote:

[...]

If it is like my 5650, when it's in the "off" state, whether by printer
switch or by software, it can still be awakened by the computer without
using the switch. (yes, it's actually in a semi-off state, like a TV
that has a remote control.) If one uses the switched outlet solution,
one has to switch it manually.

If it's like my Officejet, the printer switch is a true "off" switch,
and the switched outlet would be superfluous.

TJ
--
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
Old June 17th 10, 04:36 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Adam[_4_]

TJ wrote:
My HP Deskjet D1430 always switches itself on whenever I turn on AC
power to the whole computer system. This is a waste of electricity and
an annoyance.

The Windows software for my Deskjet 5650 contains a power-saver option
that will shut down the printer as if the switch had been used, after
the printer sits idle for a time. When I power back up, the printer is
still acting as if it is switched off.

[...snip]

Why not simply plug it into an outlet that has its own switch, like

If it is like my 5650, when it's in the "off" state, whether by printer
switch or by software, it can still be awakened by the computer without
using the switch. (yes, it's actually in a semi-off state, like a TV
that has a remote control.) If one uses the switched outlet solution,
one has to switch it manually.

My previous inkjet (Canon i550) was the same way, so I know exactly
what you mean.

If it's like my Officejet, the printer switch is a true "off" switch,
and the switched outlet would be superfluous.

This is a cheap printer (Deskjet D1430) and there's no software
override for the power switch. That would be okay with me except
that whenever AC power goes up, it starts up in "on".

What I think I'll do (unless someone has a better idea) is get
something like http://cleantechnica.com/files/2008/11/8651zooma.jpg
which is a switch for one (ungrounded) outlet, to go between my UPS
and this printer.

Thanks again, everybody, for your suggestions, and what they've
inspired me to research and discover!

Adam
Old June 17th 10, 05:51 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Headrick

"Adam" wrote in message
This is a cheap printer (Deskjet D1430) and there's no software override
for the power switch. That would be okay with me except that whenever AC
power goes up, it starts up in "on".

What I think I'll do (unless someone has a better idea) is get something
like http://cleantechnica.com/files/2008/11/8651zooma.jpg which is a
switch for one (ungrounded) outlet, to go between my UPS and this printer.

If you turn off the power externally to the printer it may not properly cap
the cartridges, allowing them to dry out. Additionally, when the power is
reapplied the printer will assume the worst case for time since the last
print job and will do more aggressive cleaning. This will result in more
ink used for servicing, which will reduce the life of the ink cartridges as
well as the printe
The printer automatically goes into a low power state when not printing. It
would be best to leave the printer connected to a live outlet and power the
printer off with its own power switch when necessary.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old June 17th 10, 02:16 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
TJ[_3_]

On 06/16/2010 11:36 PM, Adam wrote:
TJ wrote:
[...]

"Cheap" probably has little to do with it. My Officejet was designed for
small-office duty. It's largish, rugged, and hardly cheap in its day.
The "cheap" version at the time was the PSC 2110 that I mentioned. Yet
neither of them had the same shutoff feature as the 5650. Instead, they
had a sort of sleep mode, which was as you describe. Personal
speculation is that the lack of it had something to do with the scanner
bulb, but I have nothing to really base that on.

However, I can tell you that for a while I ran the PSC without turning
the printer's switch off, but by switching everything off with a power
strip. Bad idea. Every time I powered up, the printer and scanner would
initialize. It is my belief that the practice led to the early failure
of the scanner bulb, due to the many start-up cycles, and that meant the
printer was gone, too. I now keep the Officejet switched off with the
printer switch unless I am going to use it, and I use it for "special"
jobs. For everyday, knocking around, throwaway stuff, I use the 5650.

In my case, the 5650 was the "cheap" printer. I picked it up at a
rummage sale for $1. It needed a power supply brick, which I found on
Ebay for $15. The Officejet was about $70 used, also on Ebay. Both
happened to based on the same print engine and cartridges as my
then-failing PSC, one of the reasons I selected them.

TJ
--
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.